Fresh Water Tank won't fill up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian w. Hall

Hi there. Ive tried twice now to get my fresh water tank full with water but its not accepting the water for some reason. I had it hooked up through a hose off a house and started doing what I usually do. When I had the hose attached we had water in the RV.  I thought it was getting filled but I still have no water. has this ever happened? also when i have the water pump on it constantly makes noise.

Brian

Somewhere you have a valve that is shut off.  Units have them in different places  but usually somewhere near the pump.  There may be 1 to 3 valves in thesame area and even sometimes a combination to a couple of valves.  Manual should tell you. Or tell us what model and brand of RV you have and someone will have one like it and tell you.

Some RVs have two water inlet fittings. One fitting is a hose connection that bypasses the water tank.  The other may or may hot have a hose fitting and could just have a cap over a larger opening into which you insert the hose.  These second fitting is used to fill the water tank.

You really haven't given us much information. We don't know whether you are talking about a motorhome, 5th wheel trailer, travel trailer, or what.
Most RV's have a receptacle to fill the water tank, they also may or may not have a connection to get water directly into the system from shore. They will generally, like Shayne said, have a series of valves to shut off water from the shore connection to the tank or to open/close water from the hot water tank, and also one to open up to drain the system.
Give us some more info and we'll try to help.

Woody

Woody  You are on the point,  It's like saying I drive a Ford  Whoops  57 kinds of Fords and another gillion motor, tranny, and rearend-axle combos.  An Rv could be anything from an old Van or truck rejuvenated to a camper to Newmar, Prevost, or Marathon custom conversion with any and all hook ups.    Lots of things to choose from is this field.

Whoa guys! He has a 96 Monaco Dynasty as indicated in his signature line and also mentioned in the first line of my first post in response to his question..

Our Monaco Camelot is set up with a single water hookup and a single valve that diverts water between tank fill or fresh water to the coach. I also has a "gravity fill" with a plastic cover that allows me to loosely put a hose in to fill the tank.

Maybe Chris Pennings will explain how his Dynasty fresh water system is configured. (I've seen it, but can't recall the details.)

I had it hooked up through a hose off a house and started doing what I usually do.

Does that mean that the tank always filled on prior occasions?

when i have the water pump on it constantly makes noise.

Just for clarification, does the pump deliver water and does it deliver water when the coach is not hooked up to a fresh water hose?

sorry if i was too vague. I have a 96 Monaco Dynasty Diesel. So heres the deal...i have filled my fresh water tank several times before and didnt do anything differently this time. I hooked up my hose to the water source and turned the blue lever all the way to the left under the motorhome near where all the other controls are (sewage,grey etc.) It kind of sounded like water was going through the hose but it wasnt filling up. I also couldnt get water through the coach even when i was hooked up to the hose directly. At times it also sounds like there is a lot of air going through the pipes because the sink will spit out some water then air then water until its totally dry. Ive never messed with any other levers or anything else. I just did what i usually do but its not working. Any more help would be apprecaited! If i have to get it serviced does anyone know of a RV service center near Greenwich,CT or White Plains, NY area? thanks!

Brian

If you had the lever to the left and heard water running, it had to go somewhere.  It's supposed to go into the fresh water tank.  You should open the gravity fill to allow the air to vent as the small vent tube won't vent fast enough if the city water is under any decent pressure.  If the water pressure is low, it may take as long as a half hour to fill the water tank.  When the valve is in the fill position, you won't get city water from the faucets.

Now this may sound like a stupid question... But was there a puddle of water on the ground under the tank?

First step.  Check for leaks.  This includes making sure the tank drain is closed (There is always a drain) it may have been draining out as fast as it was filling up.. It also includes making sure water is not running in "Strange places" (IE: hose loose)

Now:  Check the  tank itself... Perhaps it is filling and there is another problem, VISUALLY check the water level in the tank.

Check all valves and lines from the tank TO the pump,  Check the pump inlet screen and, if it has one the tank outlet screen (Note you will have to dissassemble the tank outlet to check for that) you may just be sucking air due to a ruptured line between tank and pump, or someone may have turned off your water outlet (possible on this rig, not always possible).

Trouble filling the fresh water tank on my 5W turned out to be a pinched air relief on the tank. The tank would act full, burping back water after a short time, so I thought it was full. After some frustration over trying to figure out if the 12v pump was the issue I took most of the system apart. A 1/2" hose acting as air relief to the fresh tank was crimped. When re-routed and un-bent the tank filled fine.

Still working on my fresh water problem. Every RV service center in New England is backed up  atleast 3 weeks. Im headed to Atlanta where I have someone who can look at it. I also noticed that on my control panel where I turn on my green 'water pump' switch. It doesnt light up in the up position, but it does light up in the down position. Does this mean anything to anyone?

Brian

Ok, I got the fresh water working. I had to replace the city water valve at the end of the connection. works good now but the water pump still pumps it out weak when im not hooked up to city water. Ill ask tomorrow since im sleeping at a camping world.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom