more questions as I attempt to buy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baadpuppy

I'm not sure this is the right forum for this question, and if so, please correct me.

Here's the background:

I'm planning to start fulltiming in a class A gasser.  I haven't yet purchased the rig, but I am in the process of hopefully buying one.  There's a thread on that in this forum.

My fulltiming would basically start in January, with the time between now and then spent on saving as much as possible, spending as little as possible on making the rig habitable for me, and tieing up all those loose ends, as well as getting rid of the load of stuff I've aquired over the years.  Between now and the "launch", I would slowly move myself into the RV in the backyard to get used to it and make sure that I'm not 2000 miles from home base when I learn that I really want to make a change.

At the same time, I'm intending to abandon my current home base when I start fulltiming.  I really want to live out west in the arid regions (perhaps idaho?), not too far from where my gf lives (she is in eastern oregon), and eventually find a decent salaried job that doesn't suck as much as my current one does.  I don't know where my final home base will be yet.  I do know it won't be VA anymore.

On to the problem...

So here I am trying to prepare for all this, and starting to flounder a bit.  My auto insurance company doesn't insure RVs (Horace Mann).  Progressive is quoting about 1600 a year for fulltiming... is this reasonable?  The quote they gave me for my corolla is about 35-40% higher than I'm currently paying.  I'm still looking around.  Of course, I don't actually own the RV yet, but I do like to have things lined up.  I'm thinking it'll be easiest (not necessarily cheapest) to start out with fulltiming insurance, that way I don't have to worry about the actual start date.

The motorhome I'm trying to buy is in NY, I'm in VA, about 380 miles between us.  My thinking is drive my toyota up there, inspect and test drive, and if happy, purchase.  Then, drive MH towing corolla to get back home.  However, at that point I likely won't have completed the insurance purchasing process.  My auto insurance company claims to cover new purchases of any vehicles for 30 days as long as it is reported within 15 days.  Driving without insurance seems to be a stupid move, so I'd like to avoid that.  There's also the whole situation of driving from NY to VA without any tags.  I'm hoping the current owner has current tags and will let me borrow them long enough to get home, but I have no great faith in that.  Still waiting for a response from them on that.  Any advice on dealing with this situation?

Thanks in advance,
jim

If you're going to fulltime, then you need fulltimers insurance.  The premium will be determined by the "garaging" address of the vehicle, which, for a fulltimer, is your domicile address.  I would establish a domicile before registering the motorhome or buying insurance.  There is info in our library and lots of earlier topics on the domicile process.  The quote from Progressive is likely based on your VA address.  If you need to buy the motorhome before establishing your fulltime domicile, get a short term policy for vacation use so your covered when driving it home.  Once you establish your domicile, then shop for the fulltimer insurance.

A possible advantage to establishing the domicile first is lower sales tax and registration fees in your ultimate domicile vs. your current home state.

Those are good suggestions Ned.  Thank you.

I have a relative that is a used car salesman... I'm thinking about trying to draft him (and his dealer tags) for the aquisition.  His insurance covers anything his dealer tags are on.  Then I can just hold off on registering the vehicle until I figure a state of residence.

I'm hoping to get the MH this coming weekend, hence the rush.

Also, I live in VA and work in MD currently, and intend to keep this job until the end of the year.  Dealing with taxes is confusing enough without adding another part-year state to the mix.

The more I look at the situation, the more it seems I need to "move" in January but not actually leave the driveway until all that paperwork is finished.  January happens to be when the car insurance is due again, so if a policy change needs to be made, that is a good time to do it.

I used to live in Georgia years ago, and when purchasing a vehicle there you just needed current insurance for any current vehicle and a bill of sale to prove you had just bought the vehicle in case you got pulled over.  You had I believe 30 days to get a real tag.

Thanks again,
jim

Some states have 3 day license, 15 day, 21 day, 30 day, and even 90days temp tags.  When I bought my jeep here in AZ  I bought Az title and 90day tags then licensed it in Montana same as our MH, Trailers, yet the other 2 cars are titled in ILL.  Soon to shed one of those, giving to daughter. But then also have residency in ILL Still here in AZ due to health. May be selling MH soon.

Shayne, excellent point!

Turns out VA has something called a "Trip Permit", which basically allows you to go out of state and buy a vehicle and drive it home.  Costs $5.00, can apply online and print on your PC, and lasts for 15 days, providing 3 days after purchase date of time for the traverse home.

And it looks like progressive will let me pay month to month.  Looks like 130 for first month, 68 each additional month, minimum coverage, which is enough to cover me up to the point where I start moving into it.  Then I can change the plan.

As for moving, I think I'll wait till january to legally move elsewhere.  That'll give me time to select a home base.  Leaning towards montana at the moment.  Until then, VA is home I suppose.

Thanks everyone for the help!
jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom