Water pump noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excessive noise can be eliminated, but a certain amount is inevitable. A pump under the bed is simply poor design, done by an engineer who considered only daytime operation.

There are two sources of excess noise, both due to vibration. 

1.  You can place additional rubber isolation pads under the feet of the pump to help isolate the motor vibration from the floor underneath.  I even saw one installation where the owner had rigged a floating mount for the pump, with the pump on a board that was suspended in the air via flexible rubber brackets.

2. Reduce water line vibration by installing 12-18" of highly flexible tubing between the pump and its in & out lines. Also make sure the water lines aren't thumping against the floor or adjacent hoses or gear.

It may also be possible to surround the pump with noise-deadening material. I think most of the pump motor cooling needs are met by the flow of water through the pump. 

Like Gary mentioned, I have my big Aqua Jet pump wrapped in plastic lined fiberglass insulation like they sell for water heaters. I also took it off the vertical surface on which it was mounted, it's loose but secured by the insulation. If you have flexible plumbing to/from the pump you can do the same as I did.

Under the bed isn't a good place for the water pump but that's fairly common practice in the industry. Fortunately my pump is in the plumbing bay under the galley.

That "water pump placement engineer" must have moved to Winnie when Georgie Boy shut down. The pump in our Landau was installed in a bedside cabinet where it was quite loud and difficult to access for service. After doing a little piping detective work, I relocated the pump to the external wet bay where the water control valves are located. Combined with adding flex hose connections and foam pipe insulation to reduce vibration transfer, the pump operates with just a low hum that can only be heard if the everything else is quiet. Even in the middle of the night it's not really noticeable unless you're in the bathroom right over the wet bay.

Attachments

• 2014-09-27 13.40.32.jpg
    2014-09-27 13.40.32.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 24
NY_Dutch said:
That "water pump placement engineer" must have moved to Winnie when Georgie Boy shut down. The pump in our Landau was installed in a bedside cabinet where it was quite loud and difficult to access for service. ....
The product designers need to spend a couple of months in factory service to understand the need to design for service access.

John Canfield said:
The product designers need to spend a couple of months in factory service to understand the need to design for service access.

Absolutely! I was really pleased way back in my field service days when my employer brought in a group of us periodically to review new machinery designs for serviceability. We didn't always get everything we wanted, but we got enough to make our jobs safer and more efficient in getting the equipment back on line faster.

Some people wouldn't have it any other way but to hear it but I?m nit part of that camp even though I recently had a valve self destruct and dumped around 30 gallons of water straight into my inver..

Anyway, I have a Flo-Jet which is a modulated on demand pump making it ultra quiet to start. To that I added a full coil of hose on both in and out as have others here. To that I added very soft residential 1/2? pipe insulation and made sure that the loops touch nothing else. Running any of the faucets or the icemaker it is totally undetectable. Flushing a toilet it can be heard but you really need to listen for it. If its mounted on thin plywood, I?d also add a thicker piece and carpet it for additional isolation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom