Tour the Gaspe Penninsula

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynne

we started out May 28, 2019 from our home in Florida (time to escape the summer heat)  Our trip was all planned, reservations made - no need to worry about all this, just ride and enjoy.  The plan was to visit Acadia NP in Maine, cross over into Canada to Bay of Fundy NP, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, then head west about 1,000 miles across Canada, with stops in Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa etc.  We would reenter the states at Soo St Marie and spend some time in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  That all changed when I posted a question regarding a "questionable" route 108 in New Brunswick.  A fellow forum member "Ed" warned us that this would not be a desirable route. He told us if we could drive take Route 132 around the Gaspe Peninsula it would be one of the most beautiful drives we would ever do.  Unfortunately all our plans were made and the additional 500 miles would require additional time that we had not planned for.  Out of curiosity I googled and was very intrigued but let it go - we always say you just can't do it all.  The day we were to leave Nova Scotia for PEI, our 12 year old dachshund , Eva, could not stand up, could not walk, she lost use of her hindquarters!  We took her to a vet on Nova Scotia and were told she would require surgery and the only place that could do this would be University at Prince Edward Island Veterinary Teaching Hospital.  She had ruptured a disc in her back and to let it go would only get worse.  We just happened to be heading to PEI this day.  We contacted the veterinary hospital while on the ferry to PEI, they said to bring her right in.  They admitted her right away, did surgery the next day.  This was July 27.  We had 7 days of reservations in PEI but needed an additional 8 days to work through her recovery and staple removal.  I was able to get the additional nights on PEI, crisscrossing the island to whereever we could get a site!  By the way, our dog, Eva is doing fine!  But I did have to cancel all our reservations from this point on as we did not know if we could continue our trip with a dog that could not be left unattended for 6 weeks!  During the 15 days on PEI (not a bad place to be stuck by the way) we contemplated out situation.  Start Hone?  Continue with our original plan?  OR, I said to my husband, the Gaspe sits before us!  He asked if I thought we could get campsites?  I started making some calls and it was working out!  We started out thinking 7 days with several stops over the 450 miles.  After 3 days into it we found ourselves in Perce - our campsite sitting on a bluff overlooking Perce Rock - the view was out of this world.  I handed my husband our credit card and said, go add 2 more nights.  We ended up taking 17 days to tour the Gaspe and could easily have spent more time in several spots!  We have been Rv'ing about 9 years and have driven over 75,000 touring miles and I have to say this 17 day journey was one of the most interesting, beautifully scenic areas that we have visited!  I had not heard of the Gaspe until I met Ed here on the Forum and we are grateful for his suggestion! The unfortunate event with our dog turned into an opportunity to add this very special place to our trip!  We drove it "clockwise" but many come out of Quebec and go counter clockwise.  There are numerous small family owned campground along the way.  On the tip sits Forillon National Park - this is where the St Lawrence River meets the Atlantic Ocean.  The viewpoints at Bon Ami is simple gorgeous!  Lighthouses abound!  As this is Quebec it is very French but everyone was very nice and we managed just fine!  The center of the Peninsula is the Chic Choc Mountain Range an extension of the Appalachian Mountains.  The coastal drive takes you over some pretty steep grades but most are short distances and you are never hanging over the edge!  There is one pretty little coastal village after another,  over a hill, takes you into the village, the view through the RV windshield constantly breathtaking!  But the most amazing is after you round the tip and are driving along the Gulf of St Lawrence - the highway level with the ocean and enormous cliffs to the inside, undulating for miles of incredible scenery!  Honestly, Ed was right, it was one of the most beautiful drives we have ever done!

Too bad that the dog needed expensive surgery, but pleased that you enjoyed the trip around the Gaspe.  As for your post, I think you that you would havegone around the peninsula in a counter clockwise manner.  Campbellton to Perce, to Remouski.  Just got your text

Ed

It took us several tries before the weather would cooperate but we finally had our chance to enjoy the Gaspe (without fog).  We also loved it, and your post brought many memories.  We stayed at Indian Head in Perce and really enjoyed it.  Thanks for posting that.  Oh, and happy to hear your dog is better.  Nice timing all around!

ArdraF

We went around the Gaspe clockwise this summer as well. Very scenic area for sure. The people are very French, and many apparently don't speak any English. I used my cell phone google translator several times to have conversations with French speaking people. They were friendly, and a few were impressed that we could carry on a conversation through a cell phone translator. We got lucky on the weather, and had no fog the entire time we were there. Friends have done the trip in the past, and had to bail out on one of the several interior roads because of the weather. If it is rainy and foggy, the views are not near as good. I would rate it pretty highly for scenic views. It is somewhat similar to Cape Bretons Cabot Trail, although I would rank the Cabot trail higher in scenery than the Gaspe. This was my fourth time to the Maritime Provinces, but my first around the Gaspe. Each time we wanted to go there, the weather had not co-operated, and we continued on past to the Maritimes. If you are in the area, check the weather ahead of time. If clear skies are forecasted, it is worth the extra time to go around the Gaspe Peninsula. I tried to add a couple photos, but it says the files are too big. I don't know how to reduce them.

muskoka guy said:
We went around the Gaspe clockwise this summer as well. Very scenic area for sure. The people are very French, and many apparently don't speak any English. I used my cell phone google translator several times to have conversations with French speaking people. They were friendly, and a few were impressed that we could carry on a conversation through a cell phone translator. We got lucky on the weather, and had no fog the entire time we were there. Friends have done the trip in the past, and had to bail out on one of the several interior roads because of the weather. If it is rainy and foggy, the views are not near as good. I would rate it pretty highly for scenic views. It is somewhat similar to Cape Bretons Cabot Trail, although I would rank the Cabot trail higher in scenery than the Gaspe. This was my fourth time to the Maritime Provinces, but my first around the Gaspe. Each time we wanted to go there, the weather had not co-operated, and we continued on past to the Maritimes. If you are in the area, check the weather ahead of time. If clear skies are forecasted, it is worth the extra time to go around the Gaspe Peninsula. I tried to add a couple photos, but it says the files are too big. I don't know how to reduce them.
Open up a photo application in Windows and load one of the photos. Reduce the size to about 1000 pixels by 800 pixels. Or if it wants a percentage try 40% and then save it with a new name.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom