Coffee Brewing....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tebpac

So how does everyone brew their coffee when boon docking.  We tend to use our stove top percolator but have been looking at other ideas such as French press etc.  (This is without a generator)

With us, it kinda depends on the Coffee.
Standard, off-the-shelf ground Coffee, usually goes into the standard Mr Coffee drip pot.
When I find a good local brewer and get fresh-Roasted/fresh ground Indonesian or the like, and am making my first cuppa before the wife wakes up, or in the afternoon when I want to have a Coffee and watch the world go by, the French Press comes out.

We've got a 12 cup coffee maker (we enjoy our coffee) and when we're boondocking, it runs off our inverter. It pulls a little more than 100 AH for about 10 minutes while it's heating/pumping the water, then drops to about 10 AH when just the heating element is on. However, as soon as it's done brewing, we pour it into a good quality thermal pump carafe, and turn the coffee maker off to save power. The carafe will keep it hot for hours - even in cooler temps. We take the carafe with us when we're sitting outside, so we don't have to keep going inside to get another cup.

We used to brew it in a percolator on our stove top, and while it didn't require any electric power, it wasn't nearly as convenient as using the coffee maker.

Kev

We love the homey, friendly sound of coffee perking in the mornings and the relaxing taste of Bailey?s to go with it while looking out over the lake at the sunrise over the mountains. 

https://www.amazon.com/HIC-Harold-Co-2662-coffee/dp/B001S353EQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=U60Z628L5CKZ&keywords=plastic+pour+over+coffee+dripper&qid=1571600183&sprefix=Plastic+pour+%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-4

Whether boondocking, our preferred scenario, or plugged into the grid we use our Breville grind and Brew coffee maker.  For a long time we were french press and manual coffee grinder users which meant boiling water on the stove, but now prefer the convenience and consistency of the grind & brew.  To power it we do have an inverter (3000 watt).

When we had a trailer, I used an Aeropress. Heat the water on the propane stove, put coffee in Aeropress, pour water in, press. Fresh coffee every cup, and remarkably fast. Now we chew the electrical budget with an automated expresso maker. The solar handles the amp hours afterwards.

I admit it.. I have a coffee problem! I like it...a lot. I've got MANY ways of brewing a ciup (or 12) in the RV. I've written several articles relating to the perfect cup on the road. Especially when boondocking:

https://www.thewanderman.com/2012/12/coffee-how-to-make-best-cup-while.html

https://www.thewanderman.com/2016/01/yet-another-way-to-make-coffee-in-your.html

https://www.thewanderman.com/2017/04/like-coffee-how-about-cappucino-heres.html

https://www.thewanderman.com/2018/08/finally-low-cost-portable-espresso.html

https://www.thewanderman.com/2015/07/lets-talk-about-iced-coffee.html

Yes... I like coffee!

Rich "The Wanderman"

Hi,

Hope this doesn't get me banned from here as I know people do like their coffee, and some take time finding the perfect grounds in which to brew. Not to mention the proper equipment to do this brewing.

My wife and I buy original Taster's Choice from Costco. Just heat the water (quality of water matters in all coffee) and pour over crystals. For us hard to tell the difference of fresh brewed (and a whole lot less trouble while camping). We find it the perfect, easy way to go. Easy for me on my astronomy nights as well and I don't bother my wife if she is sleeping.

We normally use a very basic Mr. Coffee drip machine with just an On/Off switch. When boondocking and we can't or don't want to fire up the generator, we just heat up a pan of water on the gas stove and pour it in the top of the Mr. Coffee. After brewing, we store the hot coffee in a Thermos Air-Pot carafe. We also have an 8-cup Melitta cone coffeemaker stowed away as an emergency backup.

camperAL said:
Hi,

Hope this doesn't get me banned from here as I know people do like their coffee, and some take time finding the perfect grounds in which to brew. Not to mention the proper equipment to do this brewing.

My wife and I buy original Taster's Choice from Costco. Just heat the water (quality of water matters in all coffee) and pour over crystals. For us hard to tell the difference of fresh brewed (and a whole lot less trouble while camping). We find it the perfect, easy way to go. Easy for me on my astronomy nights as well and I don't bother my wife if she is sleeping.
Blasphemy ?

We usually have enough battery/solar power to just use our regular coffee maker but if it?s been rainy or cloudy and we need to conserve power we will get out the Aeropress and the tea kettle. Makes a great cup of coffee nice and quick. Bought it on amazon.

Vicki

When we boondock while traveling, we tend to find spots where we're alone.  I always look outside to see if we collected any neighbors during the night.  If not, I'll fire up the genny and use my Keuring, same as always. 
If we have collected a neighbor, I'll wait until I see them up moving around before I start coffee.

I don't drink the horrid stuff but over time have perfected the process of making coffee (aka carburetor cleaner) on the stovetop with a percolator.  It took a few tries to get the mix and times worked out but DW says she likes it.  Way better to do it that way than have to fire up the genset just to run a drip maker.  I'm a tea guy so any way to boil water works for me.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Kurig when i have shore power french press when no power.  I have a stainless french press and a hand grinder no power needed remember to let the coffee steep for 4 min than press it works great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom