You've got to be kidding...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
Our trip to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta was fun, but it turned out to be one of those trips with multiple RV problems. The high voltage control board in our residential fridge died (had to give away all my chocolate ice cream) the check valve in the water inlet stuck, so the hose was dripping non-stop and the water pump developed an internal leak, causing it to cycle on and off every 5 minutes or so. We were boondocking, so I decided to wait until we got home to make repairs.

While replacing the water pump, I noticed that the area around (and including) the forward gear and motor assembly for the right side living room slide, and the jack's hydraulic pump had a lot more surface rust, corrosion and "gunk" than any other place in the RV. After a considerable amount of time, I was able to clean it up, but I couldn't understand why that area was so affected.

I started crawling around and found the cause. In their infinite wisdom, Winnebago had installed two overflow tubes for the freshwater tank, so that they drained directly onto the slide's electric motor and gearbox assembly. The water would then splash onto the hydraulic pump's electric motor and eventually run down onto the ground. It wasn't an accident that they were installed like that, because the insect screens were stuffed into the ends of both tubes. I fixed it by simply installing longer drain tubes that now drain directly onto the ground behind the mud flap.

I love our coach, and most of the time I'm pretty impressed with Winnebago's ingenuity. More often than not, I find myself saying, "That's pretty clever" but every once in awhile, I come across something that makes me say, "You've got to be kidding."

Kev

The innovative and ingenious placement of those tubes are a unique way to sell more parts.

I don't think you guys are taking me very seriously. Do you have any idea of the degree of brain freeze I got after trying to scarf down a gallon of ice cream by myself, before it melted? I'm not feelin' the love.

Kev

I carry one of these and used it as an emergency fix when my freshwater inlet check valve developed a leak.  It also keeps bugs and dirt out of the inlet when the hose isn't connected.

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Pro-27838-Plug-Strap/dp/B01EXKTY90

The freshwater tank overflow is just plain stupidity on Winnebago's part.  It must have been designed on Monday morning or near quitting time on Friday.

At my last job I inherited several radio transmitters that had been installed by another engineer just before he was medically retired due to dementia.  There were lots of things that me go "What was he thinking ... oh, wait."

I always carry a valved Y for the hoses, that Y can be used to temporarily stop the inlet leak.

The tank vents on my trailer provided water cooled brakes on one side, at least till the fresh water tank was empty.  Dealer and Lippert reprimanded me for even attempting to travel with water.

Kevin Means said:
I don't think you guys are taking me very seriously. Do you have any idea of the degree of brain freeze I got after trying to scarf down a gallon of ice cream by myself, before it melted? I'm not feelin' the love.

Kev

Somtimes you just have to take one for the team.?‍♀️

Kevin, I'm happy you understand the affect-effect thing and thus don't feel the need to use impact as a verb.

lynnmor said:
I always carry a valved Y for the hoses, that Y can be used to temporarily stop the inlet leak.

The tank vents on my trailer provided water cooled brakes on one side, at least till the fresh water tank was empty.  Dealer and Lippert reprimanded me for even attempting to travel with water.

I carry a 'Y' and also a compressed air blow down adapter that can also serve as a plug.

Hi Kev and all,

Sorry to hear of all your problems. Glad you were able to find some of those which might have caused more serious problems later on. Maybe now that you have fixed this series of problems you will be rewarded (I certainly hope) with some uninterupted camping without problems for a good strech of time.

BTW, where are you camping next and will you have more chocolet ice cream?  ;D ;)

Kevin Means said:

Kev
Wish I was there for you bro.

Kevin Means said:

Kev
Kev - You gotta quit complaining about a brain freeze. That offends those of us who do not have a brain. ;D

Every RV I have owned has had a few of those "what were they thinking" moments.  The better ones only a few, but some were all over the place.  My other favorite saying is "folks that design/build RV's, don't use RV's". 

And it seems that you always find those issues while trying to repair something!

In their infinite wisdom, Winnebago had installed two overflow tubes for the freshwater tank, so that they drained directly onto the slide's electric motor and gearbox assembly. The water would then splash onto the hydraulic pump's electric motor and eventually run down onto the ground.
A classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.  The plumbing design people set up their lines (one is a vent, the other an overflow/drain) and the slide mechanics lay out their system. In many cases there are differences for each floor plan.  They don't rigorously analyze or test for all combinations of configurations and options, so inevitably a few things conflict. Often in ways that are best described as "stupid". The RV industry is chock-full of examples of that.

SargeW said:
Every RV I have owned has had a few of those "what were they thinking" moments.  The better ones only a few, but some were all over the place.  My other favorite saying is "folks that design/build RV's, don't use RV's".
I thought the saying was "folks that design/build RVs have never even seen one."

SeilerBird said:
I thought the saying was "folks that design/build RVs have never even seen one."

I saw that all the time working on submarines. The engineer would design a space to install a piece of equipment, put it in a Drawing and then we'd have to install it only to find it's like trying to put 5 pounds of crap in a 1 pound bag.

Kevin Means said:

Kev

I was worried about you at first, giving away all that frozen love.  Glad to hear you tried to cure the problem yourself first!  A warm cup of coffee helps with the brain freeze part.

Back
Top Bottom