rockwood 2509s brake issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scale obsession

I have a 2019 rockwood 2509s. Pulling with a 19' F250. Tekonsha p3 brake controller. My drivers side rear wheel on the trailer is locking up. Wheel spins free when off the ground. No resistance. Pulled hub apart, backed the adjuster off a bit. Checked grease in bearings. reassembled. same deal. Any thoughts? I did all the spin tests with the truck hooked to the trailer and running..

Check the adjustment on the other side. You should feel a very slight drag on both sides. Then adjust your controller. No need to have anything running when you're adjusting the brakes at the trailer.
Another thing.. you don't need to take the drum off to adjust the brakes.  There is a rubber plug in the backing plate and you can adjust the star wheel with a straight screwdriver, or you can buy a special tool for a couple of bucks in any auto parts store.

First, why the aftermarket brake controller, did you buy a truck for towing without one?

Check all brakes by jacking one at a time and briefly pulling the breakaway switch.

Maybe the brakes are reversed side to side, it wouldn't be the first time a factory made that mistake.

ChasA said:
Check the adjustment on the other side. You should feel a very slight drag on both sides. Then adjust your controller. No need to have anything running when you're adjusting the brakes at the trailer.
Another thing.. you don't need to take the drum off to adjust the brakes.  There is a rubber plug in the backing plate and you can adjust the star wheel with a straight screwdriver, or you can buy a special tool for a couple of bucks in any auto parts store.

I spun all the wheels. None of them have any drag. Upon starting this project , I expected to find the one getting hot adjusted too tight. I was slightly baffled upon discovering this.

lynnmor said:
First, why the aftermarket brake controller, did you buy a truck for towing without one?

Check all brakes by jacking one at a time and briefly pulling the breakaway switch.

Maybe the brakes are reversed side to side, it wouldn't be the first time a factory made that mistake.

My trucks just the XL model, so it does not come equipped w a controller. I had the tekonsha from my Silverado , so I just swapped it over.  What do you mean reversed side to side?

Usually the brake wires run from the umbilical cord down the frame to the wheels on one side or the other, then wires cross over to the wheels on the other side.  If the wires from the trailer umbilical run down the driver's side, then the wheels on that side will get more braking current than the ones on the right side due to the extra wire length from there to the right side wheels.

Bad connections can also reduce the current to the remaining wheels, making the first wheel lock up before the others.

The best method for equal braking would be to run equal length wires from the umbilical cord down each side of the frame to the wheels on that side instead of just going to one wheel and splitting off from there.

scale obsession said:
My trucks just the XL model, so it does not come equipped w a controller. I had the tekonsha from my Silverado , so I just swapped it over.  What do you mean reversed side to side?

There are left and right hand brakes.  Also there are front and rear brake shoes.  It is possible that the axle was installed backwards.  https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Dexter-Axle/23-26-27.html

The trailer brake controller was a $260 option on a XL, they are so much better than add-on units that I wouldn't buy a truck without one.

lynnmor said:
There are left and right hand brakes.  Also there are front and rear brake shoes.  It is possible that the axle was installed backwards.  https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Dexter-Axle/23-26-27.html

The trailer brake controller was a $260 option on a XL, they are so much better than add-on units that I wouldn't buy a truck without one.

I will check the left and right side to verify. Good thinking. The tekonsha is a very nice proportional brake controller, and I already had it on hand and opted to use it vs spending more money. I should have rephrased my statement. Yes its an option, but the XL typically doesn't come equipped with it on the lot, in my experience.

Your wheels should spin freely unless the brakes are applied.  OK, just a bit of drag.  Pull the breakaway cord and all four should lock up.  Adjust the brakes accordingly.  You know how to adjust the TBC.
There is a difference between the forward and rearward brake shoes.
Check brake magnets. Pull the breakaway and see if a compass will deflect towards the magnet on each wheel.  No deflection, bad magnet.

grashley said:
Your wheels should spin freely unless the brakes are applied.  OK, just a bit of drag.  Pull the breakaway cord and all four should lock up.  Adjust the brakes accordingly.  You know how to adjust the TBC.
There is a difference between the forward and rearward brake shoes.
Check brake magnets. Pull the breakaway and see if a compass will deflect towards the magnet on each wheel.  No deflection, bad magnet.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom