water heater hott rod conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markr

hello everyone i have an old 92 safari serengeti " hi tech edition "  originally it seems that it had a suburban sw6d water heater and it seems someone has added a hott rod elec conversion kit. i need to replace the water heater now and would like to replace it with the sw6de has anyone done this,  the sw6de comes with a thermostat already on the side of the water heater, i am wondering if i can use the hott rod power source to supply the sw6de thermostat and eliminate the hott rod system, the power source for the hott rod is pluged in behind the fridge, the waterheater switch has already been installed from previous owner so i am assuming i can just match the colors on hook up. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  using the hott rod set up eliminates the anode rod and i want my water heater to last  thank you

The SW6 DE uses a higher wattage heat element than a Hott Rodd, so you need to make sure the source and the wiring can handle 1400 watts. The 6-gallon size Hott Rodd is only 450W.  If the source is shared with the fridge, it may not be able to handle both. The heater is supposed to be on a dedicated circuit anyway, since it uses 12A when running. I suspect the existing Hott Rodd wiring may too small as well - must be at least 14 gauge wire,

The HOtt Rod is about 400 watts

So pull the 1500 watt 120 volt heat element out of the new heater
Replace it with a 1500 watt 240 volt heat element from your favorite Hardware or big box store (Lowes, Home Depot, Mennards, Et-al)

You now have a 375 Watt at 120 volt heat element and the Hott Rod source will be fine

It really is that simple.  Less than 5% difference in heat so you won't notice the difference.

ok all this being said at the very least i can run just propane until i can figure it this wiring wattage and size dilema

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The lower wattage takes a much longer time to heat water, but it eventually reaches the same temperature.

What Gary said... If you have two (or more) who shower in-house (in the RV) turn on propane for showers.

I use park showers so I only need hot for dish and hand washing and shaving. So I "Downgraded" as in my prior post to 375 Watts and a 2 hour recovery

Since you are already used to a 400 watt give or take a few and a 2 hour recovery...
As I said. you won't likely notice the difference.  1500 watts at 240 volts  Divide by the square of the voltage difference (E^2R) and you get 375 Watts (1/2 the voltage 1/4 the wattage) since it's a basic resistor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom