Towing my motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat fowler

I have a 2001 class A on a Ford chassis, and a front brake line leaking badly. It is parked at my home and needs to be towed to a repair shop approximately 25 miles away. I have read that I need to pull the driveshaft in order to tow it. Is this correct ?

You might be better off to pay a mobile mechanic to change the brake line at your location than what it will cost to have it towed.

Thanks for the reply?s, I will be contacting a mobile repair in the morning but getting to the line laying under the coach is going to be difficult to say the least !
  If I pull the drive shaft I would think that the transmission would need to be plugged somehow ? I?ve already contacted Good Sam road service and the towing would not be an issue ! Thanks again !

You don't have to remove the driveshaft completely, it can be taken apart at the ujoint and tied up and secured.

I replaced a leaking brake line from the master cylinder to the frame mounted ABS unit on our 2001 Landau/F53 chassis laying on the ground when needed. The new line was made up with universal brake line and fittings from NAPA. I raised the front with the leveling jacks for more working clearance.

A few years ago we had our C class towed. The tow truck driver had me leave the engine running (in neutral of course) while he towed it.
In OP's case I would also recommend a mobile tech- but it's possible he will be out there twice - once to remove the bad line and take it to match it with the replacement.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Dutch, I was planning on raising the front end today & see if I can get to the problem area. It seems to be the line going to the passenger side front wheel.

We had our 34? towed years ago and they winched it up on a tilt trailer. Was a little over 13? high. Worked great. I guess I should say it was ?hauled?, not ?towed?.
  Bet you can fix it in place. If the leak is caused by the line chaffing or rubbing on something, line can be spliced with proper flaring tools. Many times it?s easier just to leave the old line in place and run your own new line. You can buy DOT approved brake line that you can bend by hand anywhere.

pat fowler said:
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Dutch, I was planning on raising the front end today & see if I can get to the problem area. It seems to be the line going to the passenger side front wheel.

Follow the line from the wheel back to the ABS unit. Keep in mind that a new line does not have to exactly follow the path of the existing line. It just needs to be run where it's protected from road debris, etc. If you're making up a line using universal parts, it actually helps if you need to make it up from two lengths instead of a single long run. Routing it is easier, and the two lengths can be joined together in a convenient location. If the standard lengths add up to a little longer than you need, it's easy to add a loop or an 'S' bend to use up the extra length. Check the condition of the rubber hose going to the wheel cylinder while your under there.

pat fowler said:
I have a 2001 class A on a Ford chassis, and a front brake line leaking badly. It is parked at my home and needs to be towed to a repair shop approximately 25 miles away. I have read that I need to pull the driveshaft in order to tow it. Is this correct ?

Is it possible that when you say ?brake line? that you mean the flexible hose between the frame and the brake caliper?

If that is what you are referring to, replace both of them.  They are the same age and close in their level of deterioration. 

Also inspect the flex hose between the frame and rear axle.  It might be in the same shape. 

Thanks again to all that have replied, I have replaced the old metal line with new. I used the front jacks to raise the coach to max height making it relevantly easy to find, remove & replace. I also replaced all 4 bleeder valves with the type with built in check valves & flushed out all the old fluid. I feel very good about the condition of my brake system now, but time will tell ! Thanks again to all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom