7 ukulele rehearsals to go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Last evening 55 Delta Strummers  practiced most of the numbers in our December 12 concert program. With only 7 rehearsals to go, the Maestro focused on the numbers we need most help with. Three weeks ago I told my band neighbor that we had so far go, but there was one guy who could get us there. I'm amazed at the progress we've made. Unfortunately, I was lip syncing again. Looks like I might be shooting video instead of performing.

My son often comments about early rehearsals and how bad they sound, but more than often that last rehearsal and performance is the one they all rise to the occasion for.

I hope you find help and answers to your voice/singing issues! 

Aye David. Our Maestro, a long time friend, listens when I whisper in his ear; More and more he teaches the song for those who don't know it (he's a good singer and, until recently, was Music Director of a local mixed chorus). He also does a good job of breaking each song down for the folks who aren't playing it well.

Thanks for the vocal comment. Unfortunately, the first appointment I could get with 'the expert' in the Bay area and on the West coast is mid January. The Christmas family singalong will be a little tough.

The poster for our Christmas concert has been published locally. Anyone interested can view the poster here (it's a link to the pdf file on our web server), or by clicking the link on the Home page of our web site ( http://www.deltastrummers.org ).

You are lucky, I wish our group met more often and took things more seriously. I just got the music for two of the numbers we do in the Christmas parade. They are Jingle Bells and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. For some reason he keeps on changing the songs we do every year. This is the fifth year, my fourth. If it were me I would keep the same songs every year but I don't run the group thank heavens. On another note, I did want to start a whole new thing just for this, but this morning I doing my usual practicing on the drums when something hit me in the cheek. It was a tip of the drum stick. My very favorite pair. I wasn't hitting it any harder than usual and I wasn't doing a rim shot so it just broke from age and use. My alternate pair was about an inch longer and they felt like they were about a foot longer. I must order a new pair since my favorites had a rubber grip and any alternate doesn't have a grip so they slide around too much.

Attachments

• A drumstick.jpg
    A drumstick.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 4
Sorry it happened with your favorite sticks. That broken tip might make a ukulele pick.

If it were me I would keep the same songs every year
We like to ring the bells changes; Typically, 50% of a concert program are new-to-us songs. That's a little more difficult with a Christmas program, but songs such as Leroy The Redneck Reindeer, Christmas Island, Christmas Twist, Marshmallow World, The Marvelous Toy, and Oh Hannukah helped the mix this time around; These and others came from our open mic' sessions. We're also performing Beautiful City (Gospel genre) that we first performed several years ago while performing with a local 80-voice choral group (having the same Music Director at the time helped).

I wish our group met more often and took things more seriously
Just curious, how many of them are part timers to the area? Reason I ask is that, when we were in Southern California one year, I hooked up with 3 ukulele groups. Most of their members were snowbirds, mainly from Canada. Organization and discipline were sadly lacking.

Tom said:
Just curious, how many of them are part timers to the area? Reason I ask is that, when we were in Southern California one year, I hooked up with 3 ukulele groups. Most of their members were snowbirds, mainly from Canada. Organization and discipline were sadly lacking.
Our group is usually about 25 to 30 people with about a fourth of them being new to the group. There are about 15 that are there every meeting. I have never asked how many were snowbirds. Interesting question, I will try and remember to ask next time. We have to keep the list short, like three songs in a medley so that we can make sure everyone knows them. Very few of the people are serious musicians.

... so that we can make sure everyone knows them. Very few of the people are serious musicians.
Many of our (band) members, including me, are not musicians either. There are few songs that I can play without a lead sheet; The few I can play took some focused effort - repeated strumming (uke or guitar) until my ears detected a clunker. Lyrics are never an issue for me; Current vocal challenges aside, I just start singing and the lyrics come out without me thinking about them. In most cases, I couldn't 'speak' the lyrics of songs I'm able to sing.

When we first performed Beautiful City and a couple of other songs, we couldn't use music stands because there were 180 or so people on the stage (including the chorus on risers). I was thinking about what Salvation Army horn players use - music is held on top of the horn. I thought of small lead sheets hanging  down from a holder sticking out the front of a visor. One of the band members came up with something made from stiff paper that laid on the upper side of our ukes, and that worked.

I know what you mean about not being able to speak a song you can sing. I have many songs that I know backwards and forwards for many years. However if I want to write the lyrics down I can't do it. I get the verses all mixed up and sometimes I come to a complete blank.

I think the answer to your problem would be virtual reality headsets
Can't see 70 band members spending that kind of money. I've thought of a holistic holographic projector (project the lead sheet into "space" above the audience).

Tom said:
Can't see 70 band members spending that kind of money. I've thought of a holistic projector (project the lead sheet into "space" above the audience).
Well maybe someday they will come down drastically in price.

I have been working on a piece of music for the last two weeks thinking it was going to be impossible for me play. But today I had a revelation that I could slow down the YouTube video to half speed. At half speed I was finally able to hear what he was playing. Now all I have to do is get it up to speed. That should take another week then I will video it and post it. I won't reveal just yet what it is but it is the most insane thing I have ever learned.

Back
Top Bottom