Help with CAT Scale weights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

Went to the CAT Scale today and these are the results:
Steer axle 5400
Drive axle  8400
Trailer axle 13120
Gross weight 26920

I have no clue what any of this means or what other info I need to provide, so let me know what else is needed.

Thanks

Basically you can use the front axle and rear axle weights on your tire manufacturers web site tire pressure charts to find out how much air should be in the tires for the best ride and wear.

SMR said:
Steer axle 5400
Drive axle  8400
Trailer axle 13120
Gross weight 26920

I have no clue what any of this means or what other info I need to provide, so let me know what else is needed.

Thanks

You need one more weight. That is the weight on the truck rear axle without the trailer connected but with the truck box filled with the same equipment that was in it when you weighed it with the trailer.

By subtracting the disconnected truck rear axle weight from the weight on the rear axle when the trailer was connected you will determine the hitch weight.

Compare the other weights that you recorded on the cat scale to the specifications on the door label of the truck and on the manufacturers label on the trailer. 

If you carry anything significant in the truck box while pulling the trailer, You should also then weigh the rear axle with the truck box totally empty so that you can determine if your payload limit is within the manufactures recommendation

There is a bit more detail to the calculations but maybe somebody will jump in and give that detail

SMR said:
Steer axle 5400
Drive axle  8400
Trailer axle 13120
Gross weight 26920

Thanks

Go to pages 28-29 in this towing guide.  It explains the weights very well. 

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/12FLRVTTgdeMar1.pdf

Anyone with a ford chan find the towing information here that you need in addition to the sticker on the door posts of your vehicle. 

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/
At

You need to check your truck Combined Gross Weight to see how do it compares with the scale Gross Weight.

Thanks for all the info- I will know better next time and get the truck weighed without the camper.

Most truck stop scales (Pilot, Flying J, Loves) will let you go across twice for the same $12 fee or whatever they are charging at the time.  Now if it takes you an hour to drop the trailer and return they may add a couple bucks, but if you pull off and can dump your trailer and get back on in 15 or 20 minutes most places will consider that just one charge.

Found this in the excellent forum library http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/26-towing-and-towables/186-weighing-travel-and-fifth-wheel-trailers

I found that CAT scales has a smartphone app.  With it you don't have to use the out of reach intercom or deal with the truckstop folks that don't seem to understand RV's.  The app uses GPS to locate the scale you are near/on.  You trigger the weigh...then can trigger the re-weigh after dropping your trailer...and payment is made through the app so you don't even have to go in...
I was even able to get corner weights without confusing anybody by just pulling so one side was just off the pads

blw2 said:
I found that CAT scales has a smartphone app.  With it you don't have to use the out of reach intercom or deal with the truckstop folks that don't seem to understand RV's.  The app uses GPS to locate the scale you are near/on.  You trigger the weigh...then can trigger the re-weigh after dropping your trailer...and payment is made through the app so you don't even have to go in...
I was even able to get corner weights without confusing anybody by just pulling so one side was just off the pads

Thanks for sharing that is handy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom