WiFi can?t connect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pugapooh

Here at the CG and I can?t connect with my iPhone or iPad.  It?s not even crowded yet!  Two options come up-5G and 2.4G.  We are at the far edge of the park but I think there is a signal ?thingie ? (repeater?)  close by.  Any thoughts?  If it continues being a problem is it reasonable to ask for a discount?  Thank you

Take your ipad or phone, go to the office where the Wifi is located and see if you can connect there.

That will tell you if it is just a weak signal problem or something else is wrong.

Good luck getting a discount.

It?s not a slight difference.  It?s a very large difference.  But no matter.

You may need to do a hard reset/reboot of your phone/iPad.

Assuming you have a home button this is how it?s done.  Hold down the power button until you see the ?Slide to power off?.

Power it off.

Press the home button and do not release it.  Then press the power button and hold it down.  Hold both buttons down until the Apple logo shows twice.  When you see it the second time release both buttons.  It will boot up.

Another thing to try is to ?forget? the wireless networks you can?t connect to.

Click on the ?i? to the right of the network name.  Then click on ?Forget this network?.

If that doesn?t work ask the network owner to reboot their access point, router, or whatever.

Good luck.

Another issue and since I do not do IOS I do not know if your I-Stuff has this issue

There are two Wireless (or more) encryptions schemes The two are WEA and WEP and one of those has a "1.x and 2.x" version as I recall. Not all modern devices do the older encryption. My Nano Staion for example will not connect to the older encryption.

Here at the CG and I can?t connect with my iPhone or iPad.
Is that literally true (the iphone says it cannot connect to either wifi network) or did you simply mean the performance is so bad it is unusable?  I ask because "Connect" has a very specific technical meaning but is often used as a more general general complaint as well.  At the tech level, "connect" means the network issued an IP address to enable the phone to use the network. It does not necessarily mean that phone can do anything useful. So, what does IOS say about the connection (or lack thereof)?

The most common "can't connect" is lack of authentication, i.e. the wrong password. However, there are a few other possibilities, e.g. network has no unused IP addresses available to assign. 

Do as Arch suggests to make a simple determination as to the nature of the problem.

Thanks for the replies.  If it ty to go to an app it says it can?t connect.  If I go to Settings it lists the CG WiFi but says there is no internet connection.  Maybe we are just too far out.  Just so annoying to advertise it and it?s not working.

If you are able to make phone calls with your phone you might be able to tether the phone and use the Internet on you Ipad. I don't know if that is possible with an iPhone or your ISP.

Pugapooh said:
advertise it and it?s not working.

Not the least bit unusual.

If you have a data plan that will support it SeilerBird's suggestion is a good one. The iPhone supports tethering - I virtually never use campground wifi as it's typically unreliable, instead either tethering to my phone (Verizon) or using data off my AT&T Mobley.

What is the signal strength of the wifi signal (how many bars)?

8Muddypaws said:
It?s not a slight difference.  It?s a very large difference.  But no matter.

You may need to do a hard reset/reboot of your phone/iPad.

Assuming you have a home button this is how it?s done.  Hold down the power button until you see the ?Slide to power off?.

Power it off.

Press the home button and do not release it.  Then press the power button and hold it down.  Hold both buttons down until the Apple logo shows twice.  When you see it the second time release both buttons.  It will boot up.

Another thing to try is to ?forget? the wireless networks you can?t connect to.

Click on the ?i? to the right of the network name.  Then click on ?Forget this network?.

If that doesn?t work ask the network owner to reboot their access point, router, or whatever.

Good luck.

I did that. Worked with the iphone but with the ipad the logo came up once and held the buttons down frorever it seemed, at least until my finger got tired and the second apple logo never came up.

BruceinFL said:
I did that. Worked with the iphone but with the ipad the logo came up once and held the buttons down frorever it seemed, at least until my finger got tired and the second apple logo never came up.
On an Ipad you hold down both the Home button and the Power button for a reboot.

SeilerBird said:
On an Ipad you hold down both the Home button and the Power button for a reboot.

No need for the home button on any iPad in my memory. Just hold the side button till you get the slide to power off. Do that. Then wait a minute or two. Then press & hole only the side button for a couple of seconds and release. The Apple logo should appear and it will boot up.

Holding other buttons can erase and reset the unit. I don?t think they want to do that.

Lynx0849 said:
No need for the home button on any iPad in my memory. Just hold the side button till you get the slide to power off. Do that. Then wait a minute or two. Then press & hole only the side button for a couple of seconds and release. The Apple logo should appear and it will boot up.

Holding other buttons can erase and reset the unit. I don?t think they want to do that.
That is not what is described in this article

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-restart-iphone-or-ipad-3662903/#targetText=Hold%20down%20the%20Home%20button,device%20complete%20its%20start%20sequence

Pugapooh said:
Thanks for the replies.  If it ty to go to an app it says it can?t connect.  If I go to Settings it lists the CG WiFi but says there is no internet connection.  Maybe we are just too far out.  Just so annoying to advertise it and it?s not working.

I get that if
1: The signal is way way way too week
2: The park I get it at most uses a multi-hop repeater system and one of the hops.. does not hop. So I see the park's wi-fi Access point. but there is nothing beyond it to access.

Getting the message "No Internet Access" most often means that you may be connected to the local WiFi, but the router cannot find a path out into the world.
Generally, getting the park management to reboot their router will clear that up.

From your earlier post, it sounded like they have a WiFi Extender connected to their router. The Extender may be letting you log in to the network, but the extender is not reaching the router with usable data for your session, or the Router is not getting out to the network.
If your wifi shows a good signal, the problem is probably the Park's router.

Thanks for the replies.  If it ty to go to an app it says it can?t connect.  If I go to Settings it lists the CG WiFi but says there is no internet connection.  Maybe we are just too far out.
The apps are just saying "no internet".  The Settings are telling you that your phone is indeed connected to the wifi network, but that wifi network has no path to the internet.  Distance or signal strength is NOT a factor.  You may have connected to the wrong wifi network, e.g. the one the park uses for is own business purposes like connecting wireless printers, or it may be that the parks public internet connection simply isn't working. It may also be that the wifi network has only a couple internet IP addresses available and all are in use.    Ask a neighbor if they are able to access the internet via park wifi and, if yes, what wifi network they are using.

Walking over to the office area is usually the simplest approach for this situation. If you get the same results there, advise a park staff member that internet access is not working. Whether they have the skill & authority to do anything about it is another question. Many parks lack skills or simply don't let employees mess with it.

Rebooting the phone has almost no chance of fixing this sort of problem, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Open your browser and see if you have to log in. Some campgrounds have internet providers that recquire you to log in with information the campground provides. Often the cg has this on the brochure or map they give you when you check in.

Thanks again for all the replies.  I was looking for something else and actually read their FAQ page.  They admit it is spotty coverage so I?m sure that?s the problem.  They ?encourage? this as a time to nought and unwind.  Lol.  Will try it closer in if I get a chance.  Obviously I have a cellular connection but I want to use my iPad.

I?m going to read up on this tethering thing. Thanks

It is very simple. Tell your phone you want to tether by clicking on the correct button and it will give you the name of the Wifi connection. Point your Ipad to that connection and away you go.

Pugapooh, Google how to tether with your exact type phone.  Many newer upscale phones have these features, many older mid level smart phones may not.  Keep in mind, easy to get carried away on the iPad and start sucking the data limits from a cellular plan. 

Back
Top Bottom