Helper, UT - A Little Gem IMO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamsend

Greetings Folks
As I slowly work my way south to Phoenix, I found myself at a brand new campground in the town of Helper, UT, about 7 miles north of Price, UT on Hiwy 191/6.  Helper's hey-day was based on coal mining (Carbon County) from 1890s to late 1960/70s, BUT, the town didn't die out.  The community has actively worked to preserve the stone buildings along main street (the wooden ones burned in 1921) and many of the residents live in old coal company houses, which are artfully restored.  The downtown is not trashed with tourist and T-shirt shops.  The best part was I visited the Western Mining and Railroad Museum, and while not usually my thing, I was seriously impressed.  The museum has been around since 1964 and has amassed an outstanding collection of historical items which recreate the railroad and coal mining days of the whole county. There is also a 1939 film shown at the museum that boasts the town's businesses and schools, etc. at the time. Again, truly interesting. The town has faithfully restored two old gas stations - very cool.  There is also motorcycle museum, a country club open to the public, a 2.5 mile river walk, and more rail yard and station exhibits.  I guess you could say the town has taken it's historical significance seriously.  One can also tour the old mining camps, er ghost towns, up Spring Canyon, but alas I did not have time for that.  Good eats (try Big Moe's Eatery and Bakery - seriously GOOD) and shopping just down the road in Price also.

https://utahstories.com/2018/03/helper-utah-a-diverse-and-artistic-community/
For more info

The new CG is called Castle Gate RV Park and Cabins, which is clean and new, but also WaAyYY overpriced.  Anyway, I don't normally post about small towns, or sights, etc. I run across in my wanderings, but this one seemed worthwhile given it's location just east of Salt Lake.
https://castlegatervpark.com/

Cheers,
Linda

Thanks for the report and the links Linda. Looks like a neat place to stay & visit.

My wife's grandfather, Val Turrie, was a miner in the coal mines there.

He came from Italy directly to Helper many many years ago. He used to make some sort of red wine which we would sit and drink a bunch of in the evening.

That was back in the 1960's.  Nice little town. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom