ST205/75R15 Travel Trailer Tire Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RockyV

Hey Peeps!!! I am looking for a decent tire to put on my 21ft Terry Travel Trailer. It is a dual axle and the tires that are on there now are ST205/75R15 100T. Anyone have any recommendations for a decent tire? I think my trailer weighs 3500 pounds? Not totally sure, but I will double check.

I am looking at these ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078YGZ3K6/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ccoe1 said:
That is a good trailer tire.  The goodyear endurance is a really good tire also.

Cool thanks. I have also checked this one out too.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Power+King&tireModel=Towmax+STR+II&partnum=075R5TMSTR2V2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Although you will find a lot of ST tires being advertised with service descriptions (100). The only official load capacity system for ST & LT tires is the load range lettering system. They use the load index numbering system solely do display a speed letter.

The 100 tells me your tires are LRC rated at 1850# of load capacity at 50 PSI. I recommend using any of the available brands at size ST205/75R15 LRD with 2150# of load capacity at 65 PSI. To do so you will have to insure your wheels can withstand the 65 PSI rating and have valve stems also rated for the 65 PSI. (All steel valve stems recommended).  The wheels only have to have a 1850# load capacity rating.

I'm like you, head to tirerack and amazon looking at reviews.  My advise is, also ask your local shop if they can get the tires you like OR what they recommend (then go research them).  It often is easier and cheaper to pay $10 more per tire, but get the free mounting and balancing, and have a place to go should you have a tire warranty issue. 

The Goodyear Marathon tires have been out of production for several years, they must be old stock.

Since I wanted reliable tires, I replaced the 205's with made in USA  LT215/75-15 Goodyear Wrangler HT tires.

I think it is more important to get the right load rating than any particular brand.  You really need to learn the trailer weight and the axle weight ratings (GAWR) and then choose a tire that provides that weight-carrying capacity with a comfortable margin.  You don't want to operate the trailer with the tires right at their max load - they  would be under max stress and vulnerable to early life failures.  If the tire is comfortably within in weight range, it usually lasts longer.  Fast Eagle gave you some advice on a tire choice that would do that.

A travel trailer carries 10% of its weight on the hitch ball and 90% on the axles, and the axle ratings (GAWR) will reflect that.  However, trailer makers commonly skimp on the axles & tires, supply components that just barely meet the capacity requirements of federal laws on trailer safety.  If your trailer indeed weighs just 3500 lbs, your ST205/75R15 tires are fine for the load.  You need to verify that, though. Make sure you are looking at the trailer GVWR, not the dry weight or some other figure. You need to base tires on the max load they have have to carry, not on an empty trailer.

The Goodyear Marathon tires have been out of production for several years, they must be old stock.
I'm not sure that is the case.  A lot of major tire outlets still handle GY Marathons, e.g. Tire Kingdom, Discount Tire, Tire Rack, etc.  They must still be production.  I'd rather have the Endurance, though.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I'm not sure that is the case.  A lot of major tire outlets still handle GY Marathons, e.g. Tire Kingdom, Discount Tire, Tire Rack, etc.  They must still be production.  I'd rather have the Endurance, though.

Not sure what is going on, I do see that Tire Rack doesn't have the size the OP needed, but others claim to have them.  I guess the market wants cheap and Goodyear is again importing just that.

RockyV said:
Cool thanks. I have also checked this one out too.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Power+King&tireModel=Towmax+STR+II&partnum=075R5TMSTR2V2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

The power king is a popular tire, probably because of its price and availability.  I have read alot of threads with bad reviews on these tires.  I put power kings on an old TT I had for 3yrs. now im a weekend warrior who camps about 6 - 8 times a season, im in northwest ohio so my season is pretty short.  I never had a problem with them.  I am a firm believer, "you get what you pay for".  I dont travel far, if I were to travel long distances I would spring for the better tire like the goodyear endurance.

I just replaced all 4 of my tires on my toyhauler of the same size as yours with the discount tire house brand hartland st radial tires. They're a D series tire with a 65 psi limit, 8 ply sidewall, and 87 mph rating. They were installed fast, I paid for the lifetime warranty on them at a very reasonable price, and so far I've been very happy with them.

Goodyear says the Marathons are no longer in production about a year ago per my 1-800 number. As others says there are probably warehouses  still have them.

The Marathons is one of the highest tire complaints on NHTSA  safecar.gov website. At one time there were 268 Marathon tire complaints at their peak.

The Endurance is Goodyear new replacement for just over 2 years with no complaints so far on safecar.gov website

The Endurance....Carlisle HD and the Provider seem to be the better ST C/D/E tire on the different trailering websites around the net.

AS one poster mentioned the Goodyear Wrangler HT LT215/85-15 D load range at 2090 lb capacity will give you 7-8 years of trouble free service or 40k-50k miles on a trailer.
The Wrangler also comes in a LT235/75-15 C load range at 1980 lbs capacity and will offer the same mileage or years of service.
Both tires are popular with those that use them on RVs/cargo/car haulers and other equipment trailers that see lots of high speed miles of service per year.

RockyV said:
It is a dual axle and the tires that are on there now are ST205/75R15 100T.

Something is wrong with your reference. There are zero ST tires in that designated size equal to a 100T. The "T" indicates a speed rating of 118 MPH. That's a nonexistent ST tire speed.

The closest ST205/75R15 would be a LRC with a load index of 101L/101M, 75 MPH/81 MPH. 

FastEagle said:
Something is wrong with your reference. There are zero ST tires in that designated size equal to a 100T. The "T" indicates a speed rating of 118 MPH. That's a nonexistent ST tire speed.

The closest ST205/75R15 would be a LRC with a load index of 101L/101M, 75 MPH/81 MPH. 

Actually the tires are an ST205/75R15 that are on my trailer.

There was not a 100T attached to it.

Ccoe1 said:
That is a good trailer tire.  The goodyear endurance is a really good tire also.

buy the Goodyear Endurance it is a great tire and Made in the USA..... I am not even sure if the Marathon is even made anymore... I have 215/75 14 Goodyear endurance in a D rated tire... I have a trailer that has a gross weight over 7000 lbs...  I have well ove 10,000 miles on mine and still going strong...

Gary RV_Wizard said:

They are years out of production.

Back
Top Bottom