Battery goes dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob C.

I have a 2016 Keystone Hideaway 299DSRL.  The battery is new last month.  If I Camp on a weekend the second say the battery goes dead while I'm hooked to power  I let my camper seat for two weeks not using anything with it hooked to power and the battery was dead.  Any Ideas as to what is sucking the life out of my battery

You're saying the battery goes dead while hooked to power? Do the lights still work when this happens?

While plugged in check the voltage at the battery terminal. Also check all fuses and circuit breakers. Finally check to see if there is a battery disconnect and make sure it's connected

When connected to shore power, the converter/charger is supposed to be supplying all 12v needs plus charging the battery as well. Sounds like that isn't happening. I'd guess one of these reasons:

1. Converter/charger has a blown fuse, probably the reverse-polarity protection as a result of a momentary short or arc when the battery was changed. Reverse-polarity protection is a pair fuses, usually 30A and often on the back or side of the converter.

2. The circuit breaker that feeds 120v power to the converter/charger is off

3. Converter charger has failed internally

Please tell us more, i.e. how you determined the battery is "dead", e.g. voltage reading or "lights won't work" or whatever.  Also the brand and model of the converter/charger or AC/DC power center in your trailer.

Bob C. said:
I have a 2016 Keystone Hideaway 299DSRL.  The battery is new last month.  If I Camp on a weekend the second say the battery goes dead while I'm hooked to power  I let my camper seat for two weeks not using anything with it hooked to power and the battery was dead.  Any Ideas as to what is sucking the life out of my battery

When you replaced the battery you may have blown the the 2 reverse polarity fuses on the converter. You may have blown the in-line reset-able fuse near the battery. The circuit breaker protecting the converter my be tripped. Us knowing what kind and brand name of your RV would be helpful.

Do you have a salesman switch?  That is a battery cut off.  I would guess it is turned off.

Correctly operating converter will provide 12 volts to lighting etc with the Battery Disconnect turned off if plugged into shore power but will not charge the battery.

After checking all the tips above, I would pull the battery, charge it then take it to a battery place to have it checked out.

cavie said:
Correctly operating converter will provide 12 volts to lighting etc with the Battery Disconnect turned off if plugged into shore power but will not charge the battery.
Not in my rig, nor my previous one. So it depends on how it's wired.

Back2PA  When hooked to shore power nothing works.  Not the lights H2O pump, furnace, nothing.

Gary RV Wizard    I will check for blown fuses.  I determined the battery dead with a volt meter and battery tester.

Carie  I will check that, In my first sentence . I explained what model and brand of camper I had.

Donn  Do not have a salesman switch

Rene  I have pulled the battery, charged it to 100% and it reads 12.7 volts

Bob C. said:

You may have to take it to a battery place and have them check it out by putting a load on it. That's just a thought if all else fails.

Rene 1  I've done that on two different battery's I carry with me both check out ok

When hooked to shore power nothing works.  Not the lights H2O pump, furnace, nothing.
So it's clear your converter/charger is not working at all. The battery goes dead for the normal reason - it simply used all its stored power operating your RV. You need to focus your diagnostics on the converter charger to determine if it is not receiving 120v power (so it cannot function) or it gets the power but fails to deliver it, either because of blown fuses or internal failure.

Gary  That's where I'm at for now,  at 32 deg.  out and I've got it all ready for a winter nap I do believe I'll did into it in the spring time

Bob C. said:
Back2PA  When hooked to shore power nothing works.  Not the lights H2O pump, furnace, nothing.

Gary RV Wizard    I will check for blown fuses.  I determined the battery dead with a volt meter and battery tester.

Carie  I will check that, In my first sentence . I explained what model and brand of camper I had.

Donn  Do not have a salesman switch

Yep I missed that. my bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom