rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Winterizing  (Read 390 times)

Beisek

Winterizing
« on: October 31, 2019, 09:39:06 PM »
We recently bought a 2015 big country by heartland with the all season capability we are full timers and was wondering what else other people do to winterize even though you have the all seasons RV any suggestions would be appreciated

SpencerPJ

• ---
Re: Winterizing
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 06:57:59 AM »
It depends where you are parked and what you expect with temperatures.
2005 YukonXL; 2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 07:49:24 AM »
If you are full timers, the best way is to go  south.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 07:53:09 AM by Rene T »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »
No such thing as an 'all season' RV. Personally I live in Florida full time.

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 08:36:57 AM »
No such thing as an 'all season' RV. Personally I live in Florida full time.
So that means you have an 'all season trailer'  ;)

'All season' means nothing, it is a marketing slogan. The min and max temperatures it is designed to withstand while in use, that is what is important  :))
2005 YukonXL; 2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

richclover

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 09:25:41 AM »
We recently bought a 2015 big country by heartland with the all season capability we are full timers and was wondering what else other people do to winterize even though you have the all seasons RV any suggestions would be appreciated

Welcome to the forum!

As previously mentioned “all season” will depend on temperature extremes. 

At 97degF, last April in Mesquite, NV, our air conditioning just barely kept our trailer in the mid-70’s. 

At the other end we’ve found that our “all season” water system freezes up at about 20degF.  Not all of it.  There’s heat duct from the furnace around the water tank, which hangs, enclosed, underneath the kitchen area.  The water pump is also heated, below the kitchen sink. So after freezing somewhere in the back of the trailer, we still have cold water in the kitchen sink. No hot water and nothing at all in the back where the bathroom and hot water heater are located.  Until the temperatures warm up...

My winter project (parked in Mesquite), will be dropping the bottom plastic liner and “exploring” heating and insulation options for the water supply pipe to the back of the trailer.  I’ll need to figure it out since the city water inlet is in the back, bathroom.  If, however, there’s a freeze warning for Mesquite the city water will be disconnected  ;)

I had already disconnected, capped off and insulated the outside shower and installed vents in the panels under the bathroom sink to allow heat circulation to the plumbing.  Tank dump valves are enclosed and, so far, haven’t been a problem.

My humble experience and, as always, YMMV.  Good luck!

Rich, Jill, the Pups, Buddy and Bitsy
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge, Sparky (avatar)
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2019 Ram 1500 4X4 Classic Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
2018 Coleman 262BH
Southwest Wyoming

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 09:03:07 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!

IN THEORY if you are full time and the furnace is running, you should not need to do anything inside the camper.  HOWEVER, see rich clover's experience!
Outside, the water line AND faucet will need heated OR simply fill the fresh tank, use the pump, and drain and stow the hose.  Refill as needed.

If you are away for some time, then you will need to winterize.  Compressed air is the cheapest, easiest way to do that.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.