Winterizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beisek

We recently bought a 2015 big country by heartland with the all season capability we are full timers and was wondering what else other people do to winterize even though you have the all seasons RV any suggestions would be appreciated

SeilerBird said:
No such thing as an 'all season' RV. Personally I live in Florida full time.
So that means you have an 'all season trailer'  ;)

'All season' means nothing, it is a marketing slogan. The min and max temperatures it is designed to withstand while in use, that is what is important  :))

Beisek said:
We recently bought a 2015 big country by heartland with the all season capability we are full timers and was wondering what else other people do to winterize even though you have the all seasons RV any suggestions would be appreciated

Welcome to the forum!

As previously mentioned ?all season? will depend on temperature extremes. 

At 97degF, last April in Mesquite, NV, our air conditioning just barely kept our trailer in the mid-70?s. 

At the other end we?ve found that our ?all season? water system freezes up at about 20degF.  Not all of it.  There?s heat duct from the furnace around the water tank, which hangs, enclosed, underneath the kitchen area.  The water pump is also heated, below the kitchen sink. So after freezing somewhere in the back of the trailer, we still have cold water in the kitchen sink. No hot water and nothing at all in the back where the bathroom and hot water heater are located.  Until the temperatures warm up...

My winter project (parked in Mesquite), will be dropping the bottom plastic liner and ?exploring? heating and insulation options for the water supply pipe to the back of the trailer.  I?ll need to figure it out since the city water inlet is in the back, bathroom.  If, however, there?s a freeze warning for Mesquite the city water will be disconnected  ;)

I had already disconnected, capped off and insulated the outside shower and installed vents in the panels under the bathroom sink to allow heat circulation to the plumbing.  Tank dump valves are enclosed and, so far, haven?t been a problem.

My humble experience and, as always, YMMV.  Good luck!

Welcome to the Forum!

IN THEORY if you are full time and the furnace is running, you should not need to do anything inside the camper.  HOWEVER, see rich clover's experience!
Outside, the water line AND faucet will need heated OR simply fill the fresh tank, use the pump, and drain and stow the hose.  Refill as needed.

If you are away for some time, then you will need to winterize.  Compressed air is the cheapest, easiest way to do that.

Back
Top Bottom