Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnclKracker

I am starting a new post on the subject because it's been nearly a year since the last time anyone commented on the thread started by BigD.

I had commented on the movement the ball allows the trailer to tilt when on uneven ground or on steep drives and the experience I had with the truck side rails contacting the bottom of the trailer cap and crushing the frame mounted on the truck rails that a soft bed cover is attached to.  Since that happened I removed the frame.  This past Spring we stopped at EastBank Campground ACE in Georgia.  Eastbank has a section on the lake that has a steep entry drive. Because of past experiences with the truck to trailer clearance I parked on the road before entering the drive, raised the trailer and pinned the ball at the highest setting.  As I entered the turn and the front of the truck started down the drive the tail of the bed tilted upwards and the bed rail contacted the bottom of the trailer cap.  It buried one of the screws on the underside of the trailer cap into the bed rail shearing off the screw and cutting a slice in the rubber cap of the bed rail.  It also drug the broken screw along the bottom of the trailer slicing an arc in the plastic cover under the cap. Afterwards, I watched rigs with standard 5th wheel hitches and could see their truck beds twisting when the limit of the hitches side to side travel was reached but none of them ever made contact with the trailer.

Also, when coupling and decoupling there are some things to watch out for.  There is so much travel needed to decouple that as the landing gear raises and the nose of the trailer arcs upward it wants to pull the truck back until the ball leaves the receiver.  I've learned to leave the truck in neutral until the ball is nearly  out of the receiver then put it in park.  The truck follows the trailer back about 3 inches as the trailer is raised.  Before I began doing this the truck couldn't move while in park so a lot of stress was pulling on the truck.  When the ball came out of the receiver the truck lurched forward shattering the plastic funnel on the receiver.  I contacted Andersen about this and they replaced the funnel.  Even sent me an extra one.
This also puts a lot of stress on the landing gear and motor as it's trying to lift and drag the truck back.  When lowering the trailer onto the ball the truck wants to travel forward.  If it's in park, the stress placed forward against the truck increases as the trailer lowers and when enough weight is taken off of the landing gear the truck and trailer move rearward a few inches.  On dirt it's not that noticeable but when on concrete the landing gear skips along the ground.  It doesn't sound like it's doing any good to the landing gear.
You won't always have this happen. There's a few inches of travel allowed when the truck is in park but if you're already at the limit for rearward travel when uncoupling then you will very likely break the funnel when the ball exits the receiver.

Attachments

• AUH_damages.jpg
    AUH_damages.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 39
I know there are a lot of people, many on this forum, that love the Andersen, and it would be great to pop out a 35# tripod and get my bed back. But I've heard about too many issues to ever consider the Andersen. If the time comes to upgrade my current old school 200# Curt, it will be with the lightest, reputable "standard" hitch I can find. (And no way I'm unhitching with the truck in neutral!)

The question I have is how much clearance do you have between the top of the truck side rails and the bottom of the trailer. You need a minimum of at least 5" and preferably it should be 6" or more.

Rene T said:
The question I have is how much clearance do you have between the top of the truck side rails and the bottom of the trailer. You need a minimum of at least 5 years and preferably it should be 6" or more.
Sounds like a bit too much Ren?..... LOL

Rene T said:
The question I have is how much clearance do you have between the top of the truck side rails and the bottom of the trailer. You need a minimum of at least 5" and preferably it should be 6" or more.

6 inches truck to trailer with the ball in the lowest position.  Raising the ball to its highest point adds 2 inches.  I've been to this same campground many times and never had a problem until I switched to the AUH.  Eastbank is not the only campground that I've had this same experience.  The previous hitch was an auto slider.  I didn't like it because you had to be directly in line with the trailer with no more than 5 degrees offset to couple.  I was sold on the Andersen hitch because of the light weight, (37 lbs) the ability to unhitch or hitch at any angle and the fact that it cleared the cab of my SB truck without needing to slide.

I have an Andersen and I love mine.  There is at least some truth to the truck moving on unhitching.  I have seen it.  I broke two red funnels, and have a replacement I have never installed.  I would likely break it as you have described.  The funnel is only to make coupling easier, and I do fine like it is.  I have noted NO movement of the truck or FW on hitching up.
Our CG this last weekend had a very sharp, steep decline on the way to my site.  Nothing touched in this case.

No hitch is perfect.  I still prefer my Andersen.  It tows smoothly.  It is easy to hitch and unhitch.  I have never had any clearance problems.  It is really quick and easy to install and remove.  I plan to keep it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom