? Florida CG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathyP

We are interested in learning about campgrounds for seasonal and or three month stays. We are not into big, fancy
or costly and crowded sites.  Dogs allowed, and pool too. We luv the Venice, Florida area as we go there every year. We would consider some area near Sarasota on the coast but not inland too far. Thanks for your feedback.

I have been living in the Floridian RV park for the last 7 years and I love it here. Many spots are available here. Two pools, hot tub, lake access with boat ramp and it is gated. $500 a month including electricity, water, sewer, trash and yard maintenance included. 40 miles from the coast and very close to Kennedy Space Center. We get a great view of the rocket launches. 25 miles from Disney. Park is mainly long term so not many short term visitors.

I would get the RVParky app, or a similar one to help in your search.  Any suggestions folks might make (like Floridian RV Resort) may or may not be on these type of apps, but most are.  Read all the reviews from other campers.  For example if you read the reviews for the Floridian you will get an idea that there are a lot of permanent residents there, some water service issues, plus many kids.  In addition it is about 150 miles from where you are targeting to stay.

This will be our 3rd year wintering in the Ft Myers area.  There are dozens of CGs between Sarasota and here to pick from.  If you are willing to make a 3 to 4 month reservation this late in the season you still have a slim chance of finding something.

The nice thing about the Floridian is we are too far inland for hurricanes to hit unlike Fort Myers which is right on the ocean. Yes there are kids here, but not a lot. Maybe 25 in the morning waiting for the bus. This park is mainly filled with year round residents who are snowbirds. They leave their RV here all year and only spend about 6 months actually living here. This place is really empty in the summer. All my neighbors are thrilled with living here. We have a Walmart five miles away, and a McDonalds, Wawa convenience store and a 7-11 right across the street.

This will be our third year in a row going to the Suwannee River Rendezvous in Mayo, FL.  We usually spend about three months there.  The park is about 80 miles southwest of Tallahassee on the Suwannee River.  Not a fancy park, but good people, activities, a pool, and hot tub.  They offer food on the weekends from Grandma Suzy's Cook Shack, Bingo on Friday nights, pigeon races and chicken poop bingo on Saturday afternoons, Karaoke on Saturday evenings.  One Saturday evening a month they have a band instead of karaoke.  Groceries are available from  a store in Mayo (small).  There is a Walmart in Live Oak (about 20 min), and a full range of grocer, restaurants, and retail in Lake City (about 45 min).  We love it.

jayc2640 said:
This will be our third year in a row going to the Suwannee River Rendezvous in Mayo, FL.  We usually spend about three months there.  The park is about 80 miles southwest of Tallahassee on the Suwannee River.  Not a fancy park, but good people, activities, a pool, and hot tub.  They offer food on the weekends from Grandma Suzy's Cook Shack, Bingo
on Friday nights, pigeon races and chicken poop bingo on Saturday
afternoons, Karaoke on Saturday evenings.  One Saturday evening a month they have a band instead of karaoke.  Groceries are available from  a store in Mayo (small).  There is a Walmart in Live Oak (about 20 min), and a full range of grocer, restaurants, and retail in Lake City (about 45 min).  We love it.
That's not Florida; it's south Alabama. ?
Way too cold there.

ChasA said:
Still too cold there.

Cold being a relative term of course. Before we bought our RV we were pretty typical snowbirds for a number of years. I had been at various locations in FL but always for relatively short stays. Once during a record hot June and another witnessing freezing temperatures so I was aware there can be quite a temperature swing.

Given Florida is such a large state when we started looking at houses to rent for a longer period, it seemed that the "unofficial cold line" according to many of our snowbird friends was around Tampa's latitude. South of that and you were more likely to experience warmer temps. But even when we were at locations such as Sarasota we'd have to chuckle at locals bundled up when temps went down into the 40s and we could see that the temps back home in the mountains was below zero.

About the only stretch where we never experienced any cold temps at all was the winter we spent in the Keys!

Anything below 50? is too cold. I was born and grew up in Miami. Houses, schools didn't have air conditioning,  I am accustomed to heat but have a very hard time with cold. My wife is from Canada, loves cold and can't stand heat. Go figure.

SeilerBird said:
The nice thing about the Floridian is we are too far inland for hurricanes to hit unlike Fort Myers which is right on the ocean. Yes there are kids here, but not a lot. Maybe 25 in the morning waiting for the bus. This park is mainly filled with year round residents who are snowbirds. They leave their RV here all year and only spend about 6 months actually living here. This place is really empty in the summer. All my neighbors are thrilled with living here. We have a Walmart five miles away, and a McDonalds, Wawa convenience store and a 7-11 right across the street.

Ft Myers, like the Venice area the OP asked about is actually on the Gulf, not the ocean.  Since she was asking about a 3 month stay "in season" then there would be no threat of hurricanes, at least from December through March.  Not sure how she would feel about kids in a park.  For us 25 kids living around us would be about 20 too many.  We are partial to our 14 grandkids but don't much care to live next door to everyone else's.

> Way too cold there.

I was there for the freezing rain / ice event, power outage and 22F nights a couple of years ago. Sure that was an anomaly, but still. The only thing I didn't particularly like is that it's quite a ways to a decent grocery store; the little store in town has "tourist prices."

jayc2640 said:
This will be our third year in a row going to the Suwannee River Rendezvous in Mayo, FL.  We usually spend about three months there.  The park is about 80 miles southwest of Tallahassee on the Suwannee River.  Not a fancy park, but good people, activities, a pool, and hot tub.  They offer food on the weekends from Grandma Suzy's Cook Shack, Bingo on Friday nights, pigeon races and chicken poop bingo on Saturday afternoons, Karaoke on Saturday evenings.  One Saturday evening a month they have a band instead of karaoke.  Groceries are available from  a store in Mayo (small).  There is a Walmart in Live Oak (about 20 min), and a full range of grocer, restaurants, and retail in Lake City (about 45 min).  We love it.
???

Jayc2640, Mayo is southeast of Tallahassee. 80 miles southwest would be in the gulf.

I thought about the Floridian, but found this review.  Thought it might be written in jest?

We came two stay here for a mouth and when we got here at first had no water and then when they do get water back on they posted at the office that do not drink the water u have two boil the water because it has a bacteria in the water and its well water smells bad and they closed the bathhouse every day they open it at 4pm two 9pm is the only time u can use it the park as a lot of junk in there in the j area has drugs and run down campers wr have 4children and they are pedophiles in the park that watch the kids and the people at the office is rude but very nice when u first get the here then after u pay they are vary rude and the hot tub is nasty but it is hot and all the jets dont work and the pool is not heated like they said it is u do not have wifi or cable and u have two pay for your own cable and give them a $100 on the electric anf two use the wreck room u have two give a $100 deposit the roads are full of pot holes and the dumpster smells though the park and not a vary clean park at all I will not be going back

I only copy and paste, changed nothing. 

PancakeBill said:
I thought about the Floridian, but found this review.  Thought it might be written in jest?

We came two stay here for a mouth and when we got here at first had no water and then when they do get water back on they posted at the office that do not drink the water u have two boil the water because it has a bacteria in the water and its well water smells bad and they closed the bathhouse every day they open it at 4pm two 9pm is the only time u can use it the park as a lot of junk in there in the j area has drugs and run down campers wr have 4children and they are pedophiles in the park that watch the kids and the people at the office is rude but very nice when u first get the here then after u pay they are vary rude and the hot tub is nasty but it is hot and all the jets dont work and the pool is not heated like they said it is u do not have wifi or cable and u have two pay for your own cable and give them a $100 on the electric anf two use the wreck room u have two give a $100 deposit the roads are full of pot holes and the dumpster smells though the park and not a vary clean park at all I will not be going back

I only cic copy and paste, changed nothing.
There is not one true remark in this entire review. I would not live here if it were even remotely true. But you read it on the Internet so it must be true.

I was pretty sure it was pretty far off, just look at the spelling and thought process.  Reviews are always kind of strange.  this one was a riot, I doubt anyone who reads it takes it serious.  The wreck room!  dang, this was a genius pranked comment.  The other reviews were nice.

PancakeBill said:
I was pretty sure it was pretty far off, just look at the spelling and thought process.  Reviews are always kind of strange.  this one was a riot, I doubt anyone who reads it takes it serious.  The wreck room!  dang, this was a genius pranked comment.  The other reviews were nice.

No doubt posted by someone nestled content and comfortable in their own FL space and just trying to dissuade others from coming.  ::)

Back
Top Bottom