rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Refinishing Headlights  (Read 501 times)

djw2112

• ---
  • Texas
Refinishing Headlights
« on: November 05, 2019, 12:55:52 PM »
Hi,  my aftermarket headlights are starting to lose their clear coat, it looks like oxidation on the plastic but its actually the cheap clear coat from the MFG coming off.   I watched some youtube vids and tried toothpaste, did not work.  Then i tried some 400 wet and 1000 wet sandpaper with water and lightly went over the headlight, it looks like it took of the clear coat but now its all cloudy, and looks worse. 

I hear there is a kit for about $300 that will do the job, of course im not going to do that because its cheaper to buy new headlights.   

Has anyone found a solution that works to fix this and make it somewhat presentable?  Im not looking for factory perfection, i just want the clear up the plastic a bit and maybe put on a new coat of clear. 
2007 GC 5th wheel
Permanent Residence

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Refinishing Headlights
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 01:19:10 PM »
These folks manufacture and distribute headlight restoration products, and also have a video on the subject: https://www.productioncarcare.com/

I haven't used this product, and don't recall what it costs, but have used some of their other products with good success.

Edit: Looks like the kit regularly costs $49.95 and is currently on sale for $29.95.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:21:09 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

djw2112

• ---
  • Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 01:43:46 PM »
Thank you sir.... great link :)
2007 GC 5th wheel
Permanent Residence

Wi1dBill

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 03:25:12 PM »
 In the Farm/Industrial market we used a clear coat paint that could be sprayed over the old paint to renew a shine.   Maybe a clear coat spray bomb would do the same thing to the fog on the lights.   Being that this are aftermarket lights that can be replaced I'd try a $5.00 to $8.00 can of clear spray paint.

Wi1dBi11

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 04:03:35 PM »
I had headlights on a old pickup I use to have. Have to have some body work done and at the same time the guy buffed them. Came out looking like new.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 04:44:29 PM »
Go to the auto store.  Meguiars makes great kits that last about a year.  Restored several on my kids older Hondas in High School days.  Here is specifically the one I liked best.

https://www.ebay.com/p/23030061446

Some people also just polish with this, then spray clear coat as mentioned above

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-G12310-PlastX-Clear-Plastic-Cleaner-Polish-10-oz/16550253
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:26:45 PM by Lou Schneider »
2005 YukonXL
2012 Puma 21FS

Paul & Julie

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 04:47:23 PM »
I had my coach in the shop for new batteries.  I asked about the yellowed headlights. The mechanic got out his air powered DA sander and in 10 minutes the lights looked new.
Djw2112, you need too keep going on the wet sanding. 1000, then 2000, then on up to 5000. You sand each grit until the scratches from the previous grit are gone.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Air Force One towed brakes
Blue Ox towed setup

djw2112

• ---
  • Texas
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 05:36:31 PM »
I had my coach in the shop for new batteries.  I asked about the yellowed headlights. The mechanic got out his air powered DA sander and in 10 minutes the lights looked new.
Djw2112, you need too keep going on the wet sanding. 1000, then 2000, then on up to 5000. You sand each grit until the scratches from the previous grit are gone.

I guess it is possible that i did not sand long enough, i just used my hands and not a sander.  I may try it again tomorrow using my drill with a sanding disk in it. 
2007 GC 5th wheel
Permanent Residence

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 08:15:36 PM »
One of my favorite automotive guys on Youtube ("ChrisFix") has a video with his recommendations: How to Restore Headlights PERMANENTLY
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

judway

• ---
  • Back at the house in West Melbourne, FL
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 07:24:03 AM »
I sprayed mine with the strongest DEET bug repellant I could buy, waited about a minute and wiped off with a paper towell. Looks like near new. Did all of my older driving lights and a few relatives'
 and friends'.
Judy & Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs!      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 07:28:22 AM »
I sprayed mine with the strongest DEET bug repellant I could buy, waited about a minute and wiped off with a paper towell. Looks like near new. Did all of my older driving lights and a few relatives'
 and friends'.

The Deet does work, but you have to be careful - it will actually distort the plastic if left on too long. Rather than put it directly on the lens you might consider spraying a paper towel and scrubbing the lens, then cleaning with water. Might not work if the lens has already been partially sanded.
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • Matthew 6:34
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 07:54:31 AM »
Following.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

judway

• ---
  • Back at the house in West Melbourne, FL
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 08:57:01 AM »
I seem to remember that you should wash with water after 1 minute and dry with the paper towels.
Judy & Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs!      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

ro

• ---
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 09:52:03 AM »
Try using tooth paste,works great
2013  Winnebago Vista 35
2016 Jeep Sahara
Ron

blw2

• ---
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 10:11:07 AM »
it's all about removing the top layers of plastic that are sun damaged.
The kit I used once even said in the directions, that doing this will remove the UV protective layer and suggested follow-up with regular wax applications.  It cautioned that it will fade much faster again even with wax.... 
....and they weren't lying!
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
í13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 02:15:22 PM »
   I tried everything from OFF to sanding and buffing....two days worth. Still after I was done there was crazing deep into the polycarbonate. Did this on bothe the RV and the corvette, finally gave up and replaced them both. Now at $600 for vette headlights I found a product..Lamin-x..that is a UV resistant film that can be purchased by the square and so far after a year my lights show no deterioration. I know that after only a year there should not be any signs but my last set of new vette headlights yellowed after six months.

https://www.lamin-x.com/automobile-products/headlight-film-covers.html
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 01:28:15 PM »
Hi,  my aftermarket headlights are starting to lose their clear coat, it looks like oxidation on the plastic but its actually the cheap clear coat from the MFG coming off.   I watched some youtube vids and tried toothpaste, did not work.  Then i tried some 400 wet and 1000 wet sandpaper with water and lightly went over the headlight, it looks like it took of the clear coat but now its all cloudy, and looks worse. 

I hear there is a kit for about $300 that will do the job, of course im not going to do that because its cheaper to buy new headlights.   

Has anyone found a solution that works to fix this and make it somewhat presentable?  Im not looking for factory perfection, i just want the clear up the plastic a bit and maybe put on a new coat of clear.
I seen a video on utube  a while back. The guy sanded the old clear coat all off and cleaned them real good, them taped them off and sprayed some new clear coat out of a spry bomb. They came out great. He said to make sure to give them some drying time depending on the air temp between coats. He recommended doing 3 coats, be careful it will run real easy then you will have to sand it back off to respray.

I'm going to try mine in the spring. I have one light that needs it.
1996 Damon Challenger 313  454 4l80E

2003 National Dolphin 5320SOLD
98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 02:49:29 PM »
I seen a video on utube  a while back. The guy sanded the old clear coat all off and cleaned them real good, them taped them off and sprayed some new clear coat out of a spry bomb. They came out great. He said to make sure to give them some drying time depending on the air temp between coats. He recommended doing 3 coats, be careful it will run real easy then you will have to sand it back off to respray.

I'm going to try mine in the spring. I have one light that needs it.

Please let us know how you make out.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Bob T

• ---
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 03:11:59 PM »
The method Iíve used sounds un-orthodox but it did work for me on the motorhome and car.
Also, last winter I told a fellow about this. His motorhome headlights were so oxidized that they were nearly useless. He used my stuff and they restored to almost new looking after less than 5 minutes each. Iím pretty sure he would have improved the outcome if he had put a bit more time in.

I bought a small air polisher from Harbor Freight a few years ago. Had never used it until I read about this method.

Put the sponge wheel on, use some Turtle Wax aluminum polish and go to it. When you want to see how itís going, wipe off with clean rag.

I did mine 2 years ago and will do again this winter.
When done, I plan to spray some 303 protectant on.

To help them last, my wife made me some headlight covers using old sunbrella fabric from one of our old boats. No fasteners she just put a bit of foam backer rod to achieve friction fit and used pennies she sewed into a pocket in the top. Easy on and easy off. Now with this protection from direct sun, hopefully things should last a bit longer.

Photos of headlight covers.

Hope this helps.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:22:16 PM by Bob T »
2008 Winnebago Vectra 40 TD
Any day you wake up on the right side of the grass is a Beautiful Day!

Mark_K5LXP

• ---
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 08:37:01 PM »
My pickup is 25 years old and the headlights were "well clouded".  I've also done the multiple-grit/buff/polish process and in about 6 months they would cloud again. 

Having little to lose at this point, I went quick and dirty as an experiment.  On both headlights I wet sanded with 400 grit until the surface was uniform.  On one side I used a paper towel saturated with acetone and wiped across it.  Effectively, the acetone melts the surface of the plastic and you get a mostly glossy surface.  On the other side, I sprayed the headlight with cheap crystal clear enamel.

This was about 9 months ago and already both sides are holding up better than polishing with no surface treatment.  The spray enamel side looks a tad "clearer" than the acetone side but both still look pretty good.  While some of the fancy packaged restoration products may net a more "new-like" finish, I don't want to bother with the time and expense of doing that.  I can wet sand and spray in just a few minutes, and costs literally pennies.  If I end up doing this once a year I'd be happy with that, but it's on track to last longer than that already.  Maybe upgrading to some fancier UV-resistant clear spray for a few more cents could be justified.

Not to knock all the other processes and fixes anyone wants to go through to restore headlights, but a 5 minute wet sand and a spritz with a spray can checks the box for me.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Bob T

• ---
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 08:47:23 PM »
Impressive
2008 Winnebago Vectra 40 TD
Any day you wake up on the right side of the grass is a Beautiful Day!