Does it make sense to own a motorhome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac-1

Don't get me wrong I enjoy owning and using our coach, however during my recent month long trip (ok that is an exaggeration, it was only 25 days).    I started to think about how much use does one really need to get out of a motorhome for it to be worth owning vs the option of renting.  So today I decided to do a bit of research on rental rates, etc, looking at renting something roughly comparable to what I have (a sub 30 ft class A), using the web sites for a few rental companies whose coaches I have seen on the road (B&B RV out of Denver, etc.), I have found their daily rental rate typically runs $300-$450 per day depending on location and season, though some places will rent a sub 30 ft class A for as little as $150 per day in the off season.  For easy math sake I will use the figure of $300 per day rental rate, though again rates vary, and some places give discounts on rentals over 5-7 days...

For people that take a single 14 day vacation per year this would be $4,200, excluding incidental expenses, transportation to the pickup point, etc.

Lets compare this to cost of ownership of a used class A of similar size, for this comparison I am using RV's made by a major brand around 10 years of age, (something generally comparable to recent models based on the current Ford F53 chassis) I choose sub 30 ft Winnebago class A's listed on RV Trader, and we get a  price point of about $32,000, give or take, so something new enough to be financed, but just barely.  Lets further assume that with that this RV will last another 10 years before being sold for under $9,000, and is financed at 5% over 10 years (based on published rv interest rates, rounded up to the nearest percent), which results in a loan amount of $340 per month over 10 years which puts the total payback at $40,800 assuming the full $32,000 was financed.

So if we take $40,800 - $9,000 = $31,800 (the amount back when the RV is sold) at the end of  10 years and divide that out by 10 years, this amount alone covers 3/4 of the cost of a  2 week rental once per year.    Now once we add on cost of insurance (I am paying around $700 per year so lets use that) we get another $7,000 in expense over 10 years, plus wear and tear, assume 2 full sets of 6 tires at $300 per tire over 10 years (making the assumption new tires will be needed shortly after purchase, then again a couple of years before the RV is sold) we get 12X300 = $3,600, new batteries replaced every 5 years, lets assume 2 deep cycle and 1 starting battery at $150 each ($900), this is all before we start talking repairs, storage, fee's, major appliance replacement (refrigerator, air conditioner, generator etc.) which in my experience is going to run another $500+ per year amortized over the years, or another $4,000.  Then of course there is the drive train stuff, oil changes, brakes, alternators, .... 

Once you add all this us, economically it seems that if you don't use such a coach at least 3-4 weeks per year, perhaps more you are likely better off renting, depending on your individual circumstance (do you have to pay for storage, how much, do you DIY repairs, or pay a shop, ...).

What do you think, am I wrong, and will this math change the suggestions you make to people coming here thinking about buying their first RV.

Ike

p.s. in the real world my cost of maintenance doing most jobs DIY on my current coach which is a 2002 model I bought in 2016, has greatly exceeded these numbers, though much of that was to do upgrades, and not absolutely essential to continued operation.  Even then my repair cost over the last couple of years has exceeded an average of $1,500 per year on NON DIY stuff being paid to shops (ball joints, dash air conditioner repair, etc.)

If you have to financially "justify" owning your own coach, then it doesn't make sense at all, unless maybe you're full timing, or living in it a large part of the year. You need to have it "make sense" by other criteria than financial, such as wanting to have your own bed, to not have to haul a suitcase into motels, to have something ready to go wherever you want on almost a moment's notice, to just have the comfort and options available to you to stay out two days, a week, two months, or whatever suits your fancy at the time, and I'm sure others can find other reasons besides financial.

Larry N. said:
If you have to financially "justify" owning your own coach, then it doesn't make sense at all, unless maybe you're full timing, or living in it a large part of the year. You need to have it "make sense" by other criteria than financial, such as wanting to have your own bed, to not have to haul a suitcase into motels, to have something ready to go wherever you want on almost a moment's notice, to just have the comfort and options available to you to stay out two days, a week, two months, or whatever suits your fancy at the time, and I'm sure others can find other reasons besides financial.

Agree 100%. From a strictly financial perspective if you're taking a couple trips per year renting is the better option. Or B&B it and a rental car

I guess since I am in mine at least 12-14 weeks per year I'm good to go :)

Had a similar debate in my head.  To buy a park model in Az. for the winter or a bigger 5th wheel.  Bought a bigger 5'r but the decision ended up not so much about the cost.  In scale of 1 to 10 the cost came in 6th place.

Wi1dBi11

This was not about to RV or not to RV, but more of a what type of RV'ing might make sense depending on ones situation.

I was not looking at it just from the financial aspect, but also considering some of the human aspects, like time and effort that goes into all the ownership side of things, as well as the potential convenience of flying to distant destinations then renting an RV, vs driving across country if dealing with limited free time.  Though certainly having ones on bed, and having everything set up just so, are important factors as well.

This also was not something really for myself, as I mentioned I like our current coach, plan to keep it for a number of years, and tend to use it way more than 2-3 weeks per year, so far this year that amount totals to around 50 days, and the last 2 years it has been upwards of 75 days per year.  Though perhaps something I would consider if something were to happen to our current coach.

We've only managed 311 days in our motorhome so far this year, but I'm pretty sure we passed the point where owning outweighed renting some time ago... ;)

Isaac-1 said:
This was not about to RV or not to RV, but more of a what type of RV'ing might make sense depending on ones situation.

I was not looking at it just from the financial aspect, but also considering some of the human aspects, like time and effort that goes into all the ownership side of things, as well as the potential convenience of flying to distant destinations then renting an RV, vs driving across country if dealing with limited free time.  Though certainly having ones on bed, and having everything set up just so, are important factors as well.

This also was not something really for myself, as I mentioned I like our current coach, plan to keep it for a number of years, and tend to use it way more than 2-3 weeks per year, so far this year that amount totals to around 50 days, and the last 2 years it has been upwards of 75 days per year.  Though perhaps something I would consider if something were to happen to our current coach.

While figuring out our next RV purchase, we planned a vacation about 2000 miles away so for $450/ticket we are flying and getting an air bnb.  We aren't retired though so time is important.  I would rather take my time and cruise across the country with only a rough template of how we are going from A to B. 

In my humble opinion, you should enjoy the maintenance of the RV otherwise dont buy one!!

We picked up a used Class C. Old, fairly clean and a 4x4 conversion.
EXACTLY the design we were looking for.
Put some money into it making it look and perform fantastic; especially inside.
We keep it under an RV port at home.
Living in CA with all the wildfires and power outages it makes more sense TO have one than not.
It's our bug-out vehicle; always ready to go.
Power goes out we move the fridge stuff in the house to the motorhome.
Wake up in the morning, go to the motorhome, crank the heat and put on a pot of coffee..
Heaven forbid we do have a fire in this neck of the woods it's gassed up and ready to roll.
At lease we will have a place for a while if we lose our house to fire.
Besides, we are very spur of the moment people.
Wake up and get a wild hair and feel like heading to Tahoe; get in and go.
No need to try to find a rental. I'm on the road in 5 minutes with the motorhome.
Some things you just can't put a price on.

I live full time in my RV. got rid of the sticks and bricks.
House: Taxes were ofer 3 grand a year. .RV less than 500
Utilities Gas and Electric 200-250/month  Water 50  RV included in parking 90 summer about 200 winter.
Yes it does burn some gas when I change sites.
Repairs.. vary from repair to repair. one A/C 1000 v/s several for central air. water heater about half price. Fridge roughly identical.

I think renting an RV makes a lot of financial sense for many Rvers, anybody who spends less than maybe 30 nights/year in them. Maybe even 60 nights. However, renting has a major downside in convenience and  "have it your way" comfort.  Whether that has a financial value to you is a personal matter - for some it's a big deal.  And if you want to go camping most every weekend  for a couple months, getting a 2-3 day rental every Friday afternoon is a nuisance. For a vacation traveler, that is less of a drawback.

Back when we were workamping in New England for 5 years, we were acquainted with a school-teacher couple from California who took a 30 day motorhome vacation to Maine (etc) coast every year.  They rented a 37-40 ft coach every year because they had determined it cost just over half what ownership would be.  A chunk of that was storage fees because they had no space at their home to keep their own rig, but depreciation was the big hit, followed by maintenance cost.  They were not inclined toward DIY maintenance, meaning they would have to pay for routine service.

Isaac-1 said:
Don't get me wrong I enjoy owning and using our coach, however during my recent month long trip (ok that is an exaggeration, it was only 25 days).    I started to think about how much use does one really need to get out of a motorhome for it to be worth owning vs the option of renting.

Isaac
If it did everyone would own one.

Our strategy 12 months ago was to try RVing via a Class A rental.  We were going to rent from a private party but had 2 issues - not being able to take our 2 dogs and also difficulty getting insurance though their carrier or ours.  We took a leap of faith and bought one - and have never regretted it.  We've been on 15 trips - most of them decided a day or two in advance.  In our case we are willing to accept that RVing is not cheap - but we are at a point where we can afford it and the cost is well worth it.  I am frugal with some things but not others.  RVing counts as "not others". 

Does it make sense to own wood working equipment? Does it make sense to own an off road vehicle? Does it make sense to buy craft supplies instead of buying completed items? It isn?t all about the money; it is about the experience. Justifying an RV for money saved is not a very worthwhile endeavor since you aren?t accounting for the intangibles.

RVs are horrible investments.  They all get bad fuel economy, drop in value quickly, require constant upkeep, and are expensive to insure. 

The OP made some very good points about limited RV renting for short periods of travel each year.  I'm sure it would be cheaper than ownership, unless you rented for longer than 40 to 50 days probably.

But if you rent an RV for 30 days is that really like traveling in your own RV?  Do you really have all your "stuff" with you and do you feel like it is your "home away from home" while doing a short term rental?  I doubt it would be the same.  Money wise you would certainly be better off traveling in a vehicle and spending $100 to $125 per night on motels IMHO.

The debate I questioned here was not about RV travel, but only if ownership vs renting made sense, and if so for what portion of the RV'ing community.  There is no doubt that ownership makes sense for full timers, and probably for the vast majority of seasonal RV'ers, but what about those that are still working full time with limited vacation days per year.

Isaac-1 said:
The debate I questioned here was not about RV travel, but only if ownership vs renting made sense, and if so for what portion of the RV'ing community.  There is no doubt that ownership makes sense for full timers, and probably for the vast majority of seasonal RV'ers, but what about those that are still working full time with limited vacation days per year.

I think there are far too many variables involved to come up with a "one size fits all" answer to your question. Even if you only assess the financial considerations there will still be too many variables. Realistically, you can only answer from your own perspective and situation. Buying a $20,000 used motorhome versus a $200,000 new motorhome for instance, would require an entirely different set of calculations. Disposable income is another big factor in the decision process. If that $20,000 represents "pocket change" in your financial situation, that would be significantly different from someone that sees $20,000 as a major purchase. And the same goes for the $200,000 RV of course...

I agree that the economics I calculated do not work for everyone, I just meant it as an example starting point.  Also it seems the rental availability of larger class A diesel pushers is limited, ....  As to disposable income, this may matter for some people, but I feel that most people are somewhat frugal with their money, when visiting a city they tend to rent cars or use taxi / limo services, vs buying a car to use for a week, the same logic applies here.  Sure there are exceptions, but they are certainly not in the majority.

Economics aside, there's also the 'X' factor. Many of us see RV use as a lifestyle choice where we prefer knowing who slept in our bed last, sat on our toilet, etc. Any of us that have owned more than one RV know the frustration that goes with finding new homes for all of our "stuff" when we first get that new rig. That could get really old really fast with rentals when it has to be done every trip, just as it does for hotel/motel rooms. I have no idea how to factor that into the calculations, but it's certainly something to consider.

NY_Dutch said:
Economics aside, there's also the 'X' factor. Many of us see RV use as a lifestyle choice where we prefer knowing who slept in our bed last, sat on our toilet, etc.

What this guy said........

Also..

My wife has medical conditions that can make traveling difficult. By taking our "Home" with us we can avoid or minimize some of those problems.

And then we can't forget.....

During our move to AR from AL we stayed with the MIL. The TT gave me a place to take refuge during the day. You could call it my man cave.

And last...

Since our new home is much smaller we can use the TT as a guestroom as needed.

So for us it's been money well spent.

Back
Top Bottom