Why the V10?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ssteve

Looking at budget friendly class C motor homes and the only thing available is the ford?s with the v10 gas engine. I am wondering why you don?t see similar class c motor homes with basic powerstroke, Cummins and dramas engines?

They are out there, but they are rare, all RV manufacturers build to a price point, usually as cheap as they can get away with, maximizing the BLING factor and cutting every corner they can on the out of site out of mind stuff, like insulation, cabinetwork, paint, engine, etc.  So given that diesel engines would add at least $10,000 to the price tag, and most consumers fear diesel more than they want it, there is little incentive to offer them.

Probably because Ford is the only van maker who provides bare chassis rigs for building class C motorhomes. A number of years back Workhorse (uses a Chevy engine) and before that Chevy made them. Back in the early '70s I had a class C on a Dodge chassis. So it's a matter of what is available to the RV maker.

Freightliner and many others provide modified diesel truck front end chassis for the Super C (much bigger and heavier) rigs, but not generally for a gasoline powered rig.

Larry there are still some companies that offer RV's on the Chevy van chassis, I saw a couple of last years local RV show.  Though Ford does seem to dominate the market.

Isaac-1 said:
They are out there, but they are rare, all RV manufacturers build to a price point, usually as cheap as they can get away with, maximizing the BLING factor and cutting every corner they can on the out of site out of mind stuff, like insulation, cabinetwork, paint, engine, etc.  So given that diesel engines would add at least $10,000 to the price tag, and most consumers fear diesel more than they want it, there is little incentive to offer them.

That?s crazy to me considering how garbage v10?s are. Particularly compared to a modern Diesel engine.

One thing you need to remember is that most motorhomes average only about 6,000 miles per year of use, and many get well less than that, ie expect 50,000 - 60,000 miles on most 10 year old motorhome.  With that sort of mileage a gas engine with a 150,000 - 200,000 mile service life will likely outlast the life of of the rest of the RV, which is rarely over about 20-25 years depending on level of care and maintenance.

p.s. to reinforce this, a quick search of RV trader ads, shows that out of the first 25 class C's listed as 2008 models, 14 show between 50,000 - 65,000 miles, 4 show under 50,000 with the lowest being 27,000, and only 2 both ex-cruise america rental units show over 150,000 miles.  The rest tended to be in the 70,000 mile ballpark.

Ssteve said:
That?s crazy to me considering how garbage v10?s are. Particularly compared to a modern Diesel engine.

"Garbage" is a pretty strong word for an engine that has been pretty much bulletproof for the last 15 years.  Once they ironed out a couple issues in the late 1990's and early 2000's they have been good to go.  They power many, many class "A's" as well.  By many, I mean hundreds of thousands of them.

Most class "C's" push their weight limit as it is.  Diesels weigh more so you would lose payload or go over your weight limit.  Why not make the chassis bigger??  They do that already.  They are called "Super C's" and can be found but cost significantly more. 

So in short asking why they put "garbage" engines in when there are better engines available is like asking why would they put vinyl flooring in whenever Italian Marble is clearly a better choice.  Why do people buy a Chevy whenever Bugatti clearly makes a fine automobile?

The gross weight argument is what makes most sense to me so thank you for that. I?ve driven several v10 powered vehicles including class c motor homes and have always been way underwhelmed.

Out of curiosity what is it that you don't like about them?  I don't have any strong opinion one way or the other as my coach has an 8.1L Chevy Vortec, my old F250 pickup has a 7.3 Diesel, and my car has a 6.1L Hemi.

I did help an old friend drive an E350 cab 5.4L V8  u-haul truck fully loaded down (probably overloaded) from Louisiana to Montana a few years ago, and it did ok, though a bit slow going up hills, which I suspect is similar to a typical class C.

Exactly that. They basically struggle to get out of their own way when they are loaded down. That and you have to rev them out to get them going anywhere. If you had a newer diesel motor in one they would perform great regardless of the weight, even if it was. Destined commercial version.

As said, it's market driven... Put two otherwise identical motorhomes on a sales lot, one with a gas V10 and the other with a diesel and the higher price tag that goes with it and the gas unit will outsell the diesel every time.

NY_Dutch said:
As said, it's market driven... Put two otherwise identical motorhomes on a sales lot, one with a gas V10 and the other with a diesel and the higher price tag that goes with it and the gas unit will outsell the diesel every time.

Copy that. Unfortunate but understandable. Guess I will stick with my travel trailer and truck for now.

Wish I could get rd of my trailer and get a class c and pull a small trailer with a side by side.

If you want a diesel powered class C, buy a diesel powered class C, they are out there, but they are rare. and there will be a price premium.

Ssteve said:
Exactly that. They basically struggle to get out of their own way when they are loaded down. That and you have to rev them out to get them going anywhere. If you had a newer diesel motor in one they would perform great regardless of the weight, even if it was. Destined commercial version.

of course the generator uses the same fuel tank as the RV  so you are either going with a heavier diesel generator with a large price premium or a separate gas tank for the generator. 

When I was in Wyoming at maybe 6000 feet I had my class C floored on the flat and we were going into a headwind.  We were towing an accord and we couldn't keep the speed limit.  BUT if the only option was a diesel setup we wouldn't have been able to afford that trip.  I'll take the v10 over no trip all day long.

If you want a diesel though - Go buy one.  Search RV trader for class C diesels.  They will come on a heavy chassis and you can tow your side by side.

KandT said:
of course the generator uses the same fuel tank as the RV  so you are either going with a heavier diesel generator with a large price premium or a separate gas tank for the generator. 

Usually the generator will be propane powered since there's already a propane tank onboard.

Actually many smaller diesel motorhomes come standard with propane generators, as diesel generators are not only heavier, but also more expensive.

Prior to getting our current rig we had a 37' Class A with the V-10.  I never had an issue with the Ford V-10.  I could change the oil myself in about 25 minutes for about $35.00.  Now my annual service costs over $700.

First of all, gas engines do fine powering Class C motorhomes. Since GM dropped their big block V8 (the 8.1L) in favor of a 6.0L, there haven't been a lot of gas engine options for Class C's. However, some manufacturers, e.g. Coachmen Freelander, offer C's on a Chevy 4500 van chassis.

There are diesel-powered C's available. Most RV builders offer C's on the Sprinter diesel chassis and there are several using the Ram Promaster diesel as well. Larger C's, e.g. the Jayco Seneca, are built on Freightliner medium truck diesel chassis with Cummins engines and the Chevy Duramax diesel chassis.
https://www.colonialrv.com/blog/ram-promaster-chassis-enters-rv-world/

Ssteve said:
When they are loaded down they are likely way overweight. Class C motorhomes have very little CCC to begin with. Some are overweight when they leave the factory. You are asking the RV to do something it was not designed for. If you want to haul a lot of weight around then get the right tool for the right job.

Back
Top Bottom