What About Change of Service Address?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

We just returned home from Red Bay, AL where we had some repairs done at the Tiffin Service Center and afterwards had a Winegard Trav'ler (Dish version) installed. The business owner who did the work said a good option for us would be to simply use our Hopper 3 from home and call in a change of service address every time we move approximately 150 miles from our previous location.

What bothers me about this path is the fact that the Hopper 3 is our residential receiver and what will be Dish's reaction when we call in a change of service adddress several times in period of a few weeks? He mentioned that there is an app that allows you to do this online, but I still don't see how Dish will ignore a residential receiver moving around so much.

I am looking for suggestions. A single tuner Wally installed in the motorhome would not be a good option as almost everything we watch is stuff we have previously recorded. We need to be able to record 2-3 things at a time.

Any personal experience? Thanks.

Dish is used to folks taking a home receiver on vacation in their RV, it's actually pretty common. Your tech did get it wrong that the MyDish app can be used to change your service address though. That only applies to folks with an "Outdoor" account and eligible equipment. Your two options for service address changes will be a phone call to customer service or a chat session with them. Before I was able to use the app, I used a copy and paste pre-written script on a chat session that saved time and insured accuracy. It typically took about 5 minutes to make the change, and up to 10 minutes for the change to take effect. When we're in travel mode between sites, we change our service address as often as daily...

Dutch, thanks for the info. Taking the home receiver with us is what we will do and I think I will rely on calling customer service to change service address.

The tech said that as a general rule if you move more than 150 miles then you need to call. Is this about correct based on your experience?

I called DISH customer service yesterday to change service address.  After 65 minutes on phone with a very polite and seemingly helpful agent, no change.  She apologetically referred me to the retailer where the Wally and Tailgater were purchased as she was unable to help.  That just didn't seem right so I suspended efforts for 24 hours.

Today using NY_Dutch's script (found here) the same task was accomplished via chat in < 10 minutes, once I got connected with today's second, more knowledgeable agent.  First agent today alluded to a "system error" and informed me I'd have to telephone customer service and ask for Tool Exception Department.  Second agent knew his stuff. 

Thanks, Dutch!

arcticfox2005 said:
Dutch, thanks for the info. Taking the home receiver with us is what we will do and I think I will rely on calling customer service to change service address.

The tech said that as a general rule if you move more than 150 miles then you need to call. Is this about correct based on your experience?

The size of the spot beams varies quite a bit as well as not being symmetrical. I usually try the previous locals at a new location to see if they still work before making any changes. If it's just a short one or two night stop and the previous locals still work, I usually don't bother changing them.

Do you know if the Trav'ler installation tech configured it correctly for your Hopper3? The recommended setup uses a DPH42 switch with the standard Dish western arc DPP LNB. The LNB can be changed to a DPH LNB that works directly with the H3, but that creates some satellite acquisition issues that the DPH42 and DPP don't have. The link below goes to an article regarding using the DPH42 with a Hopper3 and a Trav'ler:

https://rvseniormoments.com/tech-docs/dish-tv-for-rvs/hopper-3-use-in-an-rv/dph42-switch-hopper-3-option-instead-of-modifying-your-travler/

Also don't buy the crap about having to give a "street address",, all that is needed is the mailing ZIP code of the area you are in..>>>Dan  ( It's very difficult to give a street address when parked in the middle of the AZ desert) ( Many places will "drop out" in about 100 miles)

Utclmjmpr said:
Also don't buy the crap about having to give a "street address",, all that is needed is the mailing ZIP code of the area you are in..>>>Dan  ( It's very difficult to give a street address when parked in the middle of the AZ desert) ( Many places will "drop out" in about 100 miles)

I usually use the MyDish app to change locals which uses the phone's GPS to locate me. Checking my account after a change though, and the GPS coordinates have been converted to a complete street address.

arcticfox2005 said:
The business owner who did the work said a good option for us would be to simply use our Hopper 3 from home and call in a change of service address every time we move approximately 150 miles from our previous location.

I am looking for suggestions. A single tuner Wally installed in the motorhome would not be a good option as almost everything we watch is stuff we have previously recorded. We need to be able to record 2-3 things at a time.

We've used a Hopper 3 with our Travler for over 3 years. You'll need to buy DPH42 switch (https://dishdepot.com/dish-dph-42-switch-with-power-inserter/) in order to use a Hopper 3 with a Travler.

The DPH42 is connected like so: https://rvseniormoments.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/dph42_winegard-travler_one_hopper3_08_19_19.jpg

Back
Top Bottom