Forty Grand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heather,

Use the Advanced search link above to search for prior discussions on the costs of fulltiming. Many fulltimers say that their living costs are not a lot different from living in a stick house.

Sit down and make up a budget. Put in everything except campground fees, gas, and entertainment. You should be able to tell if the 'leftover' amount is enough for you to cover those things. Some people need more than others so you need to run your numbers and see if it's enough for you to travel the way you want to. And don't forget that you can supplement your income along the way with work camping, volunteering, etc.

PrimitiveKat said:
Is a yearly income of $40,000 enough to live on full timing? It is just my husband and me.

Thanks Much!
Heather

;D We live on less than $15,000. We have toured Europe and the USA and continue to do so.  ;)

JohnSandyWhite said:
;D We live on less than $15,000. We have toured Europe and the USA and continue to do so.  ;)

I'd be interested in any tips you have.

It may well depend on whether you have to make RV payments out of that and how much they are.  You can certainly live on less than that, but your lifestyle needs are a variable that none of us can predict.  It is easy to spend $100/day or even $200-$300 or more when traveling every day (fuel costs). But you can also do with much less.

wendycoke said:
I'd be interested in any tips you have.

;D Don't eat expensive meals out too often. Buy fresh fruit and vegetables, use bikes to get around on instead of a vehicle and Wild Camp (Boondock) whenever possible.  ;D

JohnSandyWhite said:
;D Yes Tom. That's why I put the Boondock in brackets.  ;D

I think I like "Wild Camp" better than Boondock. Will have to add it to my vocabulary.

Wendy

I've been in some "wild camps" but that had nothing to do with boondocking :)

LOL John, looks like I need to add a new term to our forum Glossary of RV Terms.

Your travel distance will certainly impact travelling on a fulltimer budget.  With gas recently at $4 a gallon, in my 34 ft. class A, that's about fifty cents per mile to travel (about 8 miles per gallon).  For every 100 miles, that's $50 just for gas to pay for the 100 mile trip!
DM 

summerwinds said:
Your travel distance will certainly impact travelling on a fulltimer budget.  With gas recently at $4 a gallon, in my 34 ft. class A, that's about fifty cents per mile to travel (about 8 miles per gallon).  For every 100 miles, that's $50 just for gas to pay for the 100 mile trip!
DM 

Bingo.  I'd expect it would be relatively easy to calculate, but we'd need to know where you are - what it costs to keep your RV on-site, and how much you plan on traveling...

Wendy said:
I think I like "Wild Camp" better than Boondock. Will have to add it to my vocabulary.

Wendy,

I thought Wild Camp was what our camp site was back when we were in college.  ;D

Phil

Phil said:
I thought Wild Camp was what our camp site was back when we were in college.  ;D

Actually, for me it was the church group I went camping with. Ya gotta watch out for those church groups !!

Wendy

Well.. You know how it is with churches... Full of sinners  It is very common to read the news about the latest clurgyman who is found to be an "Upstanding Citizen"

Not, Up standing in front of his congregation.. No,,, You expect that of the clergy.. but Up standing in front of the Judge

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom