rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Tires off ground for winter  (Read 768 times)

PapaJerry69

• ---
  • NINETEEN69 changed my life forever
Tires off ground for winter
« on: November 24, 2019, 12:29:27 PM »
I want to lift all four tires off the ground for winter, but need assurances. My military background says I should put jack stands under axles, nearest to the wheel well (not on leaf spring mounts). Then put a mark on each tire at the six oíclock position, and rotate 90 degrees each 30 days until spring dewinterization. Cover each tire with same material as the cover that fits the trailer.
Question is this: will I do any harm by having the axles jack up, on at a time? Only concerned that axles look like solid tubes, with no discernible place to put jack as I work them off the ground.
Jack stands have curved receivers and each are rated for 3 tons, and TT weighs only 6,000 lbs total.
Grey Wolf Limited 26DBH, empty and winterized.
Any guidance or cautionary comments?
Husband and Wife enjoying nature and neighbors

SpencerPJ

• ---
Re: Tires off ground for winter
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 01:14:53 PM »
There is no need to put it in the air for storage.  You are Way over thinking this.  I do cover my trailer and tires, others say don't bother, I like to keep sun off graphics.  Many years ago, tires would flatspot.  Not the case any more.
2005 YukonXL; 2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

xrated

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 01:46:48 PM »
The older Bias ply tires would have a tendency to flat spot over the winter months or if left sitting in one spot for too long.  It's not an issue with radial tires.  Just make sure that the tires are fully inflated to the sidewall rating of the tire.  Some folks even suggest going over that number by 10%.  That extra 10% is nothing to worry about as the tire many times, when traveling in the summer temperatures, will increase in pressure by that much.  I've not raised trailer tires in years.....ever since my trailers have had radial tires on them.
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2018 Grand Design Momentum 394M
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

PapaJerry69

• ---
  • NINETEEN69 changed my life forever
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 02:18:42 PM »
Thanks for replies, you saved me time and money. Not used to having these type of tires at 65psi.  I appreciate your comments; Iíll put the covers on them for the winter after checking the pressure one more time.
Jerry
Husband and Wife enjoying nature and neighbors

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 02:35:47 PM »
Some tire manufactures recommend putting something between the tire and ground if left sitting for a while, like a piece of plastic or wood. Your call, some do it, some don't.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 02:44:01 PM »
I agree with Sarge especially if storing on grass or dirt.  I keep mine on concrete, never added any extra air, keep at the recommended 50 psi year round (they probably drop a tad in mid winter), never an issue.  The big thing is: if it's going to freeze, do your proper water winterization.  I also take my battery, top it off and put in garage, top it off 1x /month.  Probably not necessary, at least a 100% disconnect.
2005 YukonXL; 2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

JackL

• ---
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 02:49:10 PM »
In twenty years of trailering, I never jacked mine for the winter.
 I just parked it with pieces of plywood under the wheels

Jack L

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »
There are a lot of "You should" that date back to your Grandfather's time... No longer apply.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

richclover

• ---
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 06:09:16 PM »
Thanks for replies, you saved me time and money. Not used to having these type of tires at 65psi.  I appreciate your comments; Iíll put the covers on them for the winter after checking the pressure one more time.
Jerry

Thatís what I do. 
Rich, Jill, the Pups, Buddy and Bitsy
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge, Sparky (avatar)
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2019 Ram 1500 4X4 Classic Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
2018 Coleman 262BH
Southwest Wyoming

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 06:18:37 PM »
Do you see dealers jacking them up in the winter?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 06:21:54 PM by Rene T »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

TheBar

• ---
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 06:30:33 PM »
Tire manufacturers say tires still can have both temporary and semi-permanent flat spots. I have a classic car that sits for long periods and does get flat spots I can definitely feel for the first 20 miles. I do not lift the tires off the ground but do use jacks to take some weight off the tires.

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tire-knowledge/tire-damage-age-repair/flat-spotting
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C and Starcraft popup
DW loves camping more than I do

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 06:56:06 PM »
My Miata will often sit for a month or more, and definitely has flat spots on the tires.  After 4 or 5 miles, the tires warm a bit an are round again.

I park on concrete driveway pavers in the yard.  No other tire care.  They also develop flat spots - gone in very few miles.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Hanr3

• ---
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 08:19:05 PM »
I can't speak to all the old methods, however I leave the tires on the ground, water lines blown out, and the camper plugged in all winter. There are occasions when I spend time in the camper during the winter. sometimes to watch a game, other times to take care of a chore or two. It's nice to have power, especially electric heat.

I usually winterize the camper Thanksgiving weekend and put it back in service around the 1st of March. It's still winter, however fishing season starts (ice out) and I'm going camping/fishing.

I do the same with the boat. Park it under my shed lean-to and cover with a tarp. I have to winterize it this weekend as well. However I typically have to pull it back into the garage in February, otherwise the ground can be soft come the 1st of March. I left too many ruts in the yard over the years. Tired of fixing them.
2016 F150 3.5L Ecoboost XLT
2019 K-Z 231RK Sportsmen
1997 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select