Adding Solar to Motorhome: how does the Converter AND Solar Charger communicate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HenltonGomes

Do you just connect BOTH the solar controller AND the converter to your flooded lead acid batteries? Don't they need to "talk" to each other?

Considering adding solar to my motorhome. Maybe I'm overthinking it.... but I felt like having both the solar and the converter directly connected to the batteries was "not ideal". For example, if you plugin to shore power and the converter is pushing a huge amount of amps into the batteries, do you really want solar also "contributing"? Or... when both solar and converter are charging the battery, won't they kind of "mismatch" on what mode they are doing (bulk/float/etc).

I thought that solar charge controllers would all have a input to know that shore power is applied, so don't even try to charge anything in that case.

Or maybe both the converter and the solar controller both are monitoring the battery bank voltage and therefore "communicating" by just watching the applied voltage.

What is the typical setup like?

Yes, both are connected to the battery bank. Someone else used the analogy of two hoses filling the same bucket. As the battery reaches full charge both systems will taper off as needed. They may have different charge profiles so one hose may shut down before the other. No big deal.

Yep... what Tom said. The two charging sources may not be talking with each other, but they're both talking to the batteries. When the batteries no longer need what either, or both charging sources can provide, they'll both throttle back on their own.

Kev

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom