Another winterization question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UTBOB

Hello everyone,
I am brand new here, and to RVing in general.  I am acquiring a new Minnie Winnie TT.  It will live outdoors in Utah.  I?ve seen recommendations to use RV antifreeze, but also seen advice to blow out the lines with compressor. Which would you do on your rig.  TT will be outside, don?t plan on using it till spring.

Thanks,

Bob

antifreeze is very cost effective, give better protection and easier to do. Blowing with air WILL NOT get all the air out. Antifreeze will mix with any water left in the lines. Do not put antifreeze in your FW tank. About $15.00 if you don't have one.

Welcome to the forum.
I always use to do the blow down method. It's always worked for me but you need to make sure your compressor has enough volume to do the job. 
Now to winterize, I use the "S" method.  I go south.

In that TT you can likely do OK with either method, so long as the compressor used for the air method has adequate air volume and pressure to get most of the water out. As cavie says, "Blowing with air WILL NOT get all the air water out" BUT it'll do well enough in most rigs, since the little bit of remaining water has more than adequate room to expand. UNLESS you have a system with intricate little nooks and crannies such as the Aqua Hot or Oasis hydronic systems. Then you'd need the pink stuff for the hot water side.

Having used it and having to fix the leaks in the spring and replace the toilet flush valve, I do not trust the air method. 

Using the antifreeze in the lines is the only way to ensure that the water is switched out and will not expand and damage the system. 

With the air method - any remaining water will drain to the lowest point, freeze and expand to damage things. 

Water trapped in any spot in the system will do the same thing.

By using the RV antifreeze you are mimicking the system operation with a material that does not expand when it is cold enough to ?freeze?. 

That protection is distributed through out the system just like the water it replaces - so long as every function of the system is activated to expose the different sections to the antifreeze. 

We're in Montana and use RV antifreeze.  We do not blow out the lines first.  Be sure to drain the hot water tank and close the valve to that tank.  You do not want antifreeze in the hot water tank or fresh water tank.  In the spring we sanitize with a little bleach and flush everything a few times.  There is info on how-to in the Library above.  Welcome to RVing

I do both, pretty easy and never a problem. I blow air through my blank tank cleanout water inlet as well. Don't forget outside shower.

Thanks for the replies, it doesn?t get crazy cold here in SLC, but sounds like antifreeze is the way to go.  If it works in Montana, it should be no problem down here.

cavie said:
antifreeze is very cost effective, give better protection and easier to do. Blowing with air WILL NOT get all the air out. Antifreeze will mix with any water left in the lines. Do not put antifreeze in your FW tank. About $15.00 if you don't have one.

Edited 11/15. Some of this got lost. The $15 is in reference to a Pump bypass kit to put antifreeze directly  into the piping system. Sorry for the confusion

I use air and antifreeze here in Ontario. I used to use only air until I had some damage in my previous rv. My toilet sprayer valve froze and broke. Id rather have to flush the water system a few times, then repair broken pipes and valves. I can have a refreshment while it fills, and another while it drains. Its a lot less work than repairs. I have a cruiser boat as well. Better safe than sorry.

I generally do both, though of recent years, as we may ?de-winterize? several times during the winter....I blow out the lines and then put RV antifreeze into any part of the system that has a trap. I think that putting the antifreeze in the trap is a must!

Also, if you have a washing machine or a dish washer, I think that you should certainly get antifreeze through the pump to make certain that all water is removed!  memtb

If you ever replaced an RV water line you'll use antifreeze from then on. It is cheap insurance.

Menards sells antifreeze for $2.25 a gallon.

Two gallons is enough for my RV to winterize and bring it with us when we travel in the winter. We can leave Florida and be in freezing weather the same day.

I installed a t-valve with a 2' tube between the pump and low water point. It makes winterizing easy. I love Winnebago but not sure why they don't install those at the factory.

Tom55555,
My Winnebago has the antifreeze suction tube installed from the factory. Maybe it's a function of price of the unit.

ChasA, You probably have a nice Bay with outside shower. The 22R is so small they put the pump under the rear bed with a small access hole under the mattress. I don't mind the location once I added the $10 T valve and hose. I would have gladly paid $10 more. Maybe I'm being picky but things like a good shower hose should be standard in every RV

Back
Top Bottom