Soft Spot in Slide Out Roof after Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackiemac

Site Team
We did not realise that our slide out rubber roof had a small leak in the front corner, about 6 inches square.

We are due to fly home next week and just want to ask the experts out there if we can leave this repair until we return in about 6 months?  Stored indoors in Las Vegas NV.

I am worried that it is still wet and could spread.

I have had a quick look online and it seems that you can remove the rubber and cut away the damaged area then replace it by screwing or gluing in a new section, then repairing the rubber.  The issue is we don't have a lot of time and want to ensure the repair is done correctly.  We won't get the trailer into the dealer either although I guess we could try a mobile RV Repair guy if we have to get it done.

Any advice gratefully accepted....

If the damaged area is on the slide roof, just close the slide and the damaged area will be inside the RV.
You could also cover the area with Eternabond tape.
Is the plywood or whatever is there under the rubber, soft?

Rene T said:
If the damaged area is on the slide roof, just close the slide and the damaged area will be inside the RV.
You could also cover the area with Eternabond tape.
Is the plywood or whatever is there under the rubber, soft?

Yes, that's what is worrying me Rene....

Indoors, it will dry out and not get worse.  When you come back, Eternabond tape might be all that is needed, depending on the interior damage.  I would not worry about it getting worse in the least, safe travels back home.

And the soft spot, maybe a patch of thin aluminum with the tape.  I would be much more concerned on my main roof. 

jackiemac said:
Yes, that's what is worrying me Rene....

Stored indoors in Vegas...

20% humidity.  Do you have room to leave the slide out enough to expose the leak area?  Even if not I?d be inclined to cut away the roof from the leak area and it?ll be dry by May.  Leave a couple of windows cracked open.  When you get back you?ll have time to do a proper repair.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom