Does any one know what questions to ask when buying a used rv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the questions I ask is how long have you owned the rv?   If for only a short period of time, my next question is why are you selling?  If retiring or upgrading, that's a plus.  Then I ask if they have the service records.  From my perspective, that's more important when buying a Motorhome.  No records or lack of maintenance is usually a show stopper. 

Russell,

Here is a link to an article from the forum library on this very subject.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/15-checklists/58-buying-a-used-motorhome

I would expect that the RVIA certified inspector has a similar checklist.

Bill, the NRVIA inspector checklist is more of a spreadsheet with places to note condition, check boxes, etc. and is several pages long with sections that can be duplicated or removed depending on the given RV, (ie Slide 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) each of which has about a dozen line items. I think about 120 line items for the most basic travel trailer.

Sarge, (Marty) and I are going to observe the entire inspection process when the inspector does his thing next week.

He was scheduled for this afternoon but he called me last night and told me he had to take his wife to Kaiser in California for health issues.

I discussed us shadowing him and he is fine with that.

Marty and I thought that it would be interesting and we will post about it for general information for the rest of the Forum.

I am keeping Russell in the loop about the inspection.

In case you have not figured it out, Russell is the fellow buying my Country Coach.

To the OP. Bill has about the best reputation of anyone on this forum. He is a great guy and keeps his RVs well maintained. You will have no problems.

tallshortrv said:
anyone know what question to ask when buying a used rv from a private party
garyb1st replied with the most important. (how long they had it, and why they are selling it.)
Ask who has done the maintenance, and may you contact them.
Ask for the VIN, and ask for service records.
Spend the money to run the VIN through Carfax.

tallshortrv said:
anyone know what question to ask when buying a used rv from a private party
You asked that above- perhaps if you replied to some of the answers already provided (did you read them?), maybe with additional questions for clarification? And by all means check out the checklists in our Library (button above).

The show is 18-26 January this year per the website. Basically it is the last full week of January. The vendors are there during the show.

BTW, I highly recommend using capitalization, punctuation, and spell check on your posts. If posts are hard to read, you won?t get as good of a response.

UTTransplant said:
BTW, I highly recommend using capitalization, punctuation, and spell check on your posts. If posts are hard to read, you won?t get as good of a response.

I mentioned that to him a couple of times, but?????

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom