Travel Trailer Emergency Brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrailerFarmer

I just got a brand new axle and electric brakes, on the way home the emergency pin pulled out so they brakes were applied. I probably drove about 1.5 miles with 5 stops signs, going no more than 30 mph. When I noticed the some light smoke when I was making a turn. Pulled over and there was intermittent light smoke coming from inside the wheels. Like you would see a puff and then nothing for a few seconds then another small puff. Everything got very hot, I let it cool down for an hour then finished the trip with no problems.

What sort of permanent damage did I just cause, do I need to go back and replace everything again?

Definitely need to pull all drums and check the pads. Hopefully the drums didn't overheat and warp but guessing you'll be OK there. But have to pull the drums, otherwise you're just guessing.

Back2PA said:
Definitely need to pull all drums and check the pads. Hopefully the drums didn't overheat and warp but guessing you'll be OK there. But have to pull the drums, otherwise you're just guessing.

For sure check the shoes. While it's apart, you can check the drums but if you're not feeling any pulsing when applying the brakes now, chances are, they're OK. Also check the surfaces of the magnets to make sure they're not worn.

Utclmjmpr said:
What will you do to prevent this happening again.??>>>Dan

I was thinking that the steel cable was too short and when they made a sharp turn, it pulled the pin. May need to connect it someplace else or add on to the cable a few inches.

Back
Top Bottom