100% Disabled vet looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FarbinJones

As the title suggests, I'm a 28 year old combat vet at full disability. Some of the benefits besides the 3100 a month include medical, dental, military base access for free RV parks and PX access, and free national park access. Would 3100 a month be good for traveling the country solo?

I'm currently selling my house, and expect around 13k after closing and paying the realtors commission. I wanted to use around 7k as a down payment on a class B. I was thinking maybe a 2015 minnie winnie. I read through a bunch of different forums, and people suggested to get something around 3 years old because of the depreciation of RVs. I'm looking for something I can attach a rack on the back so I can carry a street legal adventure motorcycle that can rip it up in rough terrain, was looking at a KTM 790.

Is this feasible for a class B? I believe the weight is around 450 lbs. I'd like to also be able to park somewhere without any hook ups to be able to live off grid up to like 3 days.

I've never owned or been in an RV. I've driven up-armored 80 ton MRAPs in Afghanistan, so I should be able to manage driving a medium sized RV.

I guess I just want to hear advice from others who rv full time solo, as I want to plan everything in advance before my house sells.

Anyways, thanks for reading through my rambling.

You are essentially a very young retiree with a guaranteed income of nearly 50,000/year when considering benefits.  Many on here do with much less.  One should not go into retirement carrying any substantial amount of debt, so you might want to spend only what will keep you debt free.

Thank you for your sacrifice from a VietNam vet that got no welcome home.
Class Bs are rather expensive for their size and very limited on storage.  Your selling the house?  Does this mean you plan to live full time in an RV, or are you moving on to something else?  This decision will make a huge difference.  If your looking at a weekend rig, get a smaller class C and a trailer for the bike.  If your going full time, get a Class A and a trailer.
Hanging weight on the back, 3 feet behind the axle can negatively effect front end loading, making for some scary handling.

Agree with both the comments above.

You can certainly live and travel on $3100/month Whether that is living well or struggling to survive depends on your lifestyle wants & needs.

If you plan to live in the RV full time, get a Class C or small A (A's come as small as 26 ft).  A small C is probably better suited to your needs and hauling the bike around. I'm not saying that no Class B could work, but the C is more likely to have the capability and space you will want.

Thank you for your service and huge down payment on all of our freedom. 

I would suggest a little different route if your plan is to travel full time and not own another home in the near future.  I would look at used travel trailer toy haulers in the 20' to 22' range.  Depending on weight you may get by with pulling it with a 1/2 ton pickup. 

A small class C, or small B or A are not really great for shopping centers, visiting a local American Legion, grocery shopping, or just running general errands.  Remember you won't be doing all those things on a motorcycle because of weather considerations and other issues that come up.  Plus with a 20' to 22' TT you will have decent room as a full timer to haul everything.

Budget wise it sounds like you have it covered well.  There are thousands of acres of BLM lands in Utah and other places where you can camp for free and ride that motorcycle all you want, never seeing another soul. 

Are you 100% employable or 100% nonemployable? If deemed nonemployable by the VA you can apply for SSI which is close to $1000 per month. You can also utilize your Post 9/11 GI Bill and receive a housing allowance while taking classes online. This could net you another income of nearly $1000 per month.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_gibill.asp

Welcome and Thanks! I am 60% disabled at the moment. Might be more in the near future. Hip issues.
I second the toy hauler and tow vehicle. Pain in the butt to pack up camp to head into town for supplies. I also suggest you get the America the Beautiful Access Pass. It will get you into 5 different federal organizations, like the national parks, monuments, COE facilities, etc.

I would like to add. Last year at deer camp a neighboring site had a Navy Vet who is traveling the USA solo. We chatted for several hours around the campfire over a few colds ones. He is doing the trip with a 1/2ton, and an A-Frame pop-up camper. His goal is to see every Federal site. That includes, parks, monuments, historic places, etc. His basic MO is to park for a couple days, see the sites, and travel to his next destination. As best as I can tell, he has traversed the USA at least 3 times over the past year. Sometimes he stops at friends and family and spends a night or two in their driveway.

Being a small, light set-up, the wear and tear on the truck is minimal, limited issues towing mountain passes or inclimate weather, etc. The other advantage to a separate tow vehicle and camper is one break down you have the other to fall back upon. If the truck break, you can camp in the camper. If the camper breaks you can always get a hotel room. Fuel for thought.

Back
Top Bottom