rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Winterizing my Minnie Winnie Drop  (Read 1331 times)

Tori27

Winterizing my Minnie Winnie Drop
« on: November 24, 2019, 09:04:23 PM »
Hi all,
First time RV owner. Attempting to prepare for winter. I've drained the grey and black water tanks and the fresh water. I'm still getting a slight bit of  water pumping in when I test by flushing the toilet.  Was hoping this could be fixed by draining the red and blue valves to drain the rest. I have found those drains under my slide & I can not even get close to reaching them. Anyone have knowledge of the Drop trailers & can give me advice?
I have also not yet drained the water heater tank for which i just watched a YouTube video so am good on that except for needing the proper tool.
My third problem is how the blazes do you get the cover on the danged trailer? I am not over 12 feet tall with Hercules type muscles. HA.
All suggestions appreciated.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
Re: Winterizing my Minnie Winnie Drop
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 09:53:41 PM »
As far as your water heater, if it's a plastic/nylon drain plug, make sure you use a 6 point socket on it to back it out. Don't use anything else because you'll round off the points instantly.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 05:54:45 AM »
Those red and blue lines are the low point drains - youíll have to get under there and open them. Once you get the drains open and the water heater drained, youíre not done. You need to use compressed air to get ALL of the water out, or use RV antifreeze - just opening the drains isnít enough.

As to the cover - no clue, Iíve never covered a camper.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 07:00:40 AM »
Just so you know, the red line is for the hot water side and the blue line is the cold water side.
What I use to do is the last time we went camping for the season, I'd remove the drain plug from the water heater and leave it out, open all the faucets and then open the low point drains. While traveling home, all the water would slosh around and I think eventually it would reach the 2 drains. Then I put the plug back in loosely just to keep critters out of the tank, Bypass the heater, then I use to blow all the lines down like HappyWanderer said. Some people use antifreeze and many don't.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 07:18:52 AM »
As to the cover - no clue, Iíve never covered a camper.

I cover mine, definitely an art to it.  I roll mine up, place on front of camper, and unroll like you are covering a boat.  If it has zippers on the sides, I unzip mine, helps to keep it loose to slide around on top to get correct placement, Even a slight wind breeze makes it a challenge.  It certainly would be helpful to have a helper.  I use swim noodles, cut them as needed to cover sharp points, and use blue tape as well. 

As far as your low ports, find a large piece of cardboard to lay on, welcome to RV ownership.  Or, pay someone  ;)
2020 F150 Lariat 502a, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 07:49:13 AM »
Once you get the drains open and the water heater drained, youíre not done. You need to use compressed air to get ALL of the water out, or use RV antifreeze - just opening the drains isnít enough.
Sounds like advice from a guy who wears suspenders in addition to a belt!  ;)    Low point drains will be entirely sufficient (unless they aren't really at the "low point").   What would be the point of a drain that didn't drain?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 10:36:25 AM »
Low point drains will be entirely sufficient (unless they aren't really at the "low point").   What would be the point of a drain that didn't drain?

For me, and I'm OCD, I challenge that all the water will drain from the Toilet valve, or there might be some other valve that did not drain out nicely.  Personally, I drain mine, I blow mine, then run pink antifreeze through it.  I do not trust RV assembly.  I use the drain ports to simply get the bulk of the water out.  Overkill, yes.  Ever a problem, no.
2020 F150 Lariat 502a, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 11:12:13 AM »
Sounds like advice from a guy who wears suspenders in addition to a belt!  ;)    Low point drains will be entirely sufficient (unless they aren't really at the "low point").   What would be the point of a drain that didn't drain?

Because of the amount of water that is expelled from a system that is ďdrainedĒ when compressed air is applied. Youíre in for an expensive surprise if you think just opening the drains is enough.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

massspike

• ---
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 01:54:57 PM »
If the Drop is like my Minnie the red/blue piping you see under the slide is not what you need to locate. You need to find the valves which Winnebago likes to hide inside their TTs. Mine are located under the bathroom sink behind the maintenance panel (which you need to unscrew) and under the floor. They are hard to see so I just feel around for the T-handle(s).