What is worth seeing in Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcrbtt

Went to AB,BC,YT last year and want to see the east coast of Canada this year any thing a must or  worth a look?

Where do you start. I guess Niagara Falls would have to be in every ones top few. How about the Great Lakes. If you are into cities, we have Toronto, and the nations capital of Ottawa. We have many provincial parks that are beautiful here in Ontario, as well as all over Canada. Going east, Montreal, and  Quebec City are historic as well as very scenic. Farther east, I love the Bay of Fundy. The highest tides in the world, tidal bores, and the place in general had me visit four times so far. I will return. The Cabot trail in Cape Breton qualifies as one of the top 10 drives in North America. Nfld is spectacular if you want to take the ferry over. Whales, icebergs, and so much more. If you have about a year to explore everything from Alberta east, just hit the road. You might see part of it. You do realize Canada is a vast country. I missed about a thousand things to see and do. I live in cottage country in Ontario. Considering all the rich people have cottages here, they must like it.

Search the library and previous strings.  Ontario east is about 2,000 miles, with a lot of scenic wilderness and many historic villages and cities.  The Gaspe Peninsula and the Cabot Trail offer gorgeous views of a rugged coastline.  The Northumberland Straight offers the warmest salt water north of the Carolinas.  Habitation Port Royal is the second oldest continuous European settlement in North America.  Halifax remains the only city founded by Royal decree, and is home to the oldest elected house of assembly.  As the previous poster stated, there are thousands of places that could be red must sees.  All four Atlantic Provinces has tourist websites, that you can google for information. 
    Once you have done that, you can post specific questions that we would be pleased to answer.

Ed

dcrbtt said:
Went to AB,BC,YT last year and want to see the east coast of Canada this year any thing a must or  worth a look?
That depends on how much time you have. I can stay busey from last snow to first snow.
Bill

With all due respect, I'm not Canadian and I find the OP's post somewhat insulting.  He acts as if he's seen all of BC, YU and AB, although I wonder how long he spent touring those areas.  Over a couple of years we've spent a couple of months in those areas and we know that we haven't come close to seeing it all.  In AB alone, there is Jasper, Banff, the Columbia Icefields and, of course, the Calgary Stampede.

As for the rest of Canada there's a lot even before you get to Eastern Canada.  Putting aside Niagara Falls because it's already been mentioned, there's Ottawa and all the Canadian national museums and more.  There's Quebec City and all of Quebec Province; the closest you can have of being in Europe while still being in North America.  This summer we "discovered" Tadoussac, north of Quebec City, which is one of the premier whale-watching locations in North America.

Once you get to the Maritime provinces there are many more things to see.  To name just a few, there's Halifax, Peggy's Cove, Grand Pre, the fortress of Louisbourg, Charlottetown, several national parks in NB, PEI and NS, and lots more.

I strongly encourage you not to underestimate the richness of Canada, its culture and history.  We spend most of our summers there and don't, by any means, think we've seen it all.  This past summer we had the opportunity to spend two weeks in Newfoundland and wish we could have spent more time there.

dcrbtt said:

Depends on your point of view ive been here 46 years havent seen it all - what's worth seeing in the states especially with a 36% exchange rate -  Americans basically come here for free lol

Does the op realize just how big Canada is? I have lived in BC and Alberta for more than 70 years and haven't seen all of it let alone the rest of the country.

The citadel of Quebec is the most impressive fortress north of the Spanish Main.

I guess if you have never seen an igloo subdivision, or the morning rush hour on snowshoes, you should come on up. I must agree with the comment on the beautiful women, eh! I get a kick out of how many Americans don't realize that most of north-western United States is farther north than where I live in southern Ontario. Windsor Ontario is just over 42 degree latitude. The American Canadian border in the western provinces is at 49 degrees. That's almost 500 km, {300 miles} farther north. Seriously though, I spent two months last year going east from Ontario. If you want to watch some of my stuff on YouTube, heres one of the videos. You can follow the links to the rest. Im not the most professional video taker, but you get the scenery. We went all the way to NFLD and back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzMU9Qa7MFU

When I was younger I flew to Minnesota to go water skiing with friends. We did a day trip to Winnipeg and we declared it the boob capitol of the world.

I like visiting Canada, it's a nice tourist place.

Here is a video that I really like from a buddy of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbiJuKgxT3A

I've visited in the winter, to watch hockey games at The Bell Center.

I have traveled all over the United States. Canada looks much the same as many parts of the US. Our culture is almost exactly the same except for the French in Quebec. We have major cities like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and many other cities are large cities, that rival major US cities. Greater Toronto area has almost 7 million people. We don't all live out in the boonies, and say eh, and take off, after every sentence. We are very friendly, and are welcoming to the worlds visitors. I live in beautiful Muskoka Ontario, land of many lakes and rivers. This area is similar to Vermont, and is the playground of the rich and famous. Fall colours here are stunning. Our local economy is very dependant on tourists, so we embrace them from all over the world. Camping, fishing, ATvs, snowmobiles, bicycling, hiking, canoeing and kayaking, we got it all. Rvs are very popular in the area, and camping at nearby Algonquin Provincial Park is high on tourists lists. If anyone wants to visit my local area, I would be more than happy to provide information on anything I can help with. Cheers.

Campobello Island in New Brunswick, site of the only national park co-owned by two countries.  Summer home of the Roosevelts.

The island offers whale, dolphin, and bald eagle sightings along with some dandy hiking opportunities.

Driving the entire distance around Lake Superior is a great trip.  Did it 35 years ago and want to do it again.  Both shores are beautiful, but there are dozens and dozens of rivers with rapids and waterfalls that empty into the lake. There is also a great train ride north of Sault Ste Marie, Ontario.  Another beautiful trip is the ferry ride from Tobermory on the Bruce Peninsula of Ontario to Manitoulin Island.  The Bruce Peninsula cuts through Lake Huron and Georgian Bay--some of the best skin diving areas in the country. 

Also, the 40' tides in the Bay of Fundy are worth while, as is the river that runs backward twice a day through St Johns, both of which are in New Brunswick. 

And enjoy some poutine and pea meal bacon while you are there!

Yes they do. They are very large ferrys. They probably hold hundreds of transport trucks and cars. They load multiple levels at one time. Here is a video of my friends rv loading on at North Sydney. Watch the camper near the end of the video. The people almost walk right out in front of the rv. Only my friends quick reaction saved them from getting hit.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhmbR59xhgI

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom