rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: What is worth seeing in Canada?  (Read 3628 times)

dcrbtt

• ---
What is worth seeing in Canada?
« on: November 18, 2019, 08:47:54 PM »
Went to AB,BC,YT last year and want to see the east coast of Canada this year any thing a must or  worth a look?
2019 Forest River
FR-3  33DS
OWNED A RV SINCE 03-14-19

tc tom

• ---
Re: What is worth seeing in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 09:58:16 PM »
Georgian bay is a must see.

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 10:48:36 PM »
Where do you start. I guess Niagara Falls would have to be in every ones top few. How about the Great Lakes. If you are into cities, we have Toronto, and the nations capital of Ottawa. We have many provincial parks that are beautiful here in Ontario, as well as all over Canada. Going east, Montreal, and  Quebec City are historic as well as very scenic. Farther east, I love the Bay of Fundy. The highest tides in the world, tidal bores, and the place in general had me visit four times so far. I will return. The Cabot trail in Cape Breton qualifies as one of the top 10 drives in North America. Nfld is spectacular if you want to take the ferry over. Whales, icebergs, and so much more. If you have about a year to explore everything from Alberta east, just hit the road. You might see part of it. You do realize Canada is a vast country. I missed about a thousand things to see and do. I live in cottage country in Ontario. Considering all the rich people have cottages here, they must like it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:50:32 PM by muskoka guy »

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 10:54:16 AM »
     Search the library and previous strings.  Ontario east is about 2,000 miles, with a lot of scenic wilderness and many historic villages and cities.  The Gaspe Peninsula and the Cabot Trail offer gorgeous views of a rugged coastline.  The Northumberland Straight offers the warmest salt water north of the Carolinas.  Habitation Port Royal is the second oldest continuous European settlement in North America.  Halifax remains the only city founded by Royal decree, and is home to the oldest elected house of assembly.  As the previous poster stated, there are thousands of places that could be red must sees.  All four Atlantic Provinces has tourist websites, that you can google for information. 
     Once you have done that, you can post specific questions that we would be pleased to answer.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 11:22:57 AM »
Went to AB,BC,YT last year and want to see the east coast of Canada this year any thing a must or  worth a look?
That depends on how much time you have. I can stay busey from last snow to first snow.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP ISM Cummins
Allison 4000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

wackymac

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 03:27:39 PM »
All the cars and bikes with square wheels :o ;D
2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H, 2001 F53 Ford chassis
2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 2wd
2 cats:
Rusty-13 year old red mackerel tabby with white, male, 22.5#,  leash trained.
Penny-10 year old black & white DLH, 16#, female.
Home---Ocala, FL
Avatar: '58 VW bus, 350hp 327 Chevy, TH400 & '57 Pontiac rear end.

muskoka guy

• ---
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 05:32:10 PM »
All the cars and bikes with square wheels :o ;D
They only use those for the Nascar races up here.

docj

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 06:05:45 PM »
With all due respect, I'm not Canadian and I find the OP's post somewhat insulting.  He acts as if he's seen all of BC, YU and AB, although I wonder how long he spent touring those areas.  Over a couple of years we've spent a couple of months in those areas and we know that we haven't come close to seeing it all.  In AB alone, there is Jasper, Banff, the Columbia Icefields and, of course, the Calgary Stampede.

As for the rest of Canada there's a lot even before you get to Eastern Canada.  Putting aside Niagara Falls because it's already been mentioned, there's Ottawa and all the Canadian national museums and more.  There's Quebec City and all of Quebec Province; the closest you can have of being in Europe while still being in North America.  This summer we "discovered" Tadoussac, north of Quebec City, which is one of the premier whale-watching locations in North America.

Once you get to the Maritime provinces there are many more things to see.  To name just a few, there's Halifax, Peggy's Cove, Grand Pre, the fortress of Louisbourg, Charlottetown, several national parks in NB, PEI and NS, and lots more.

I strongly encourage you not to underestimate the richness of Canada, its culture and history.  We spend most of our summers there and don't, by any means, think we've seen it all.  This past summer we had the opportunity to spend two weeks in Newfoundland and wish we could have spent more time there.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 06:47:42 PM »

Depends on your point of view ive been here 46 years havent seen it all - what's worth seeing in the states especially with a 36% exchange rate -  Americans basically come here for free lol
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2019 F150 5l Super cab 8 ft box (company truck) daily driver
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded  5167lbs cargo/weight capacity
Selling truck parts for 15 yrs plus
" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 08:09:33 PM »
Does the op realize just how big Canada is? I have lived in BC and Alberta for more than 70 years and haven't seen all of it let alone the rest of the country.

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 10:11:16 AM »
The citadel of Quebec is the most impressive fortress north of the Spanish Main.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 10:17:02 AM »
Most impressive thing in Canada is the beautiful women. ;D

muskoka guy

• ---
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 01:44:28 PM »
I guess if you have never seen an igloo subdivision, or the morning rush hour on snowshoes, you should come on up. I must agree with the comment on the beautiful women, eh! I get a kick out of how many Americans don't realize that most of north-western United States is farther north than where I live in southern Ontario. Windsor Ontario is just over 42 degree latitude. The American Canadian border in the western provinces is at 49 degrees. That's almost 500 km, {300 miles} farther north. Seriously though, I spent two months last year going east from Ontario. If you want to watch some of my stuff on YouTube, heres one of the videos. You can follow the links to the rest. Im not the most professional video taker, but you get the scenery. We went all the way to NFLD and back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzMU9Qa7MFU
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:56:49 PM by muskoka guy »

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 01:52:13 PM »
When I was younger I flew to Minnesota to go water skiing with friends. We did a day trip to Winnipeg and we declared it the boob capitol of the world.

frank1947

• ---
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 10:58:55 AM »
I like visiting Canada, it's a nice tourist place.

Here is a video that I really like from a buddy of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbiJuKgxT3A

I've visited in the winter, to watch hockey games at The Bell Center.

muskoka guy

• ---
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 12:45:53 PM »
I have traveled all over the United States. Canada looks much the same as many parts of the US. Our culture is almost exactly the same except for the French in Quebec. We have major cities like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and many other cities are large cities, that rival major US cities. Greater Toronto area has almost 7 million people. We don't all live out in the boonies, and say eh, and take off, after every sentence. We are very friendly, and are welcoming to the worlds visitors. I live in beautiful Muskoka Ontario, land of many lakes and rivers. This area is similar to Vermont, and is the playground of the rich and famous. Fall colours here are stunning. Our local economy is very dependant on tourists, so we embrace them from all over the world. Camping, fishing, ATvs, snowmobiles, bicycling, hiking, canoeing and kayaking, we got it all. Rvs are very popular in the area, and camping at nearby Algonquin Provincial Park is high on tourists lists. If anyone wants to visit my local area, I would be more than happy to provide information on anything I can help with. Cheers.

msw3113

• ---
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 07:30:58 PM »
Campobello Island in New Brunswick, site of the only national park co-owned by two countries.  Summer home of the Roosevelts.

The island offers whale, dolphin, and bald eagle sightings along with some dandy hiking opportunities.
21 Alliance Paradigm 370FB
09 Carriage Cameo 32 SB2
11 Silverado K3500 HD LB DRW

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 08:06:31 PM »
Driving the entire distance around Lake Superior is a great trip.  Did it 35 years ago and want to do it again.  Both shores are beautiful, but there are dozens and dozens of rivers with rapids and waterfalls that empty into the lake. There is also a great train ride north of Sault Ste Marie, Ontario.  Another beautiful trip is the ferry ride from Tobermory on the Bruce Peninsula of Ontario to Manitoulin Island.  The Bruce Peninsula cuts through Lake Huron and Georgian Bay--some of the best skin diving areas in the country. 

Also, the 40' tides in the Bay of Fundy are worth while, as is the river that runs backward twice a day through St Johns, both of which are in New Brunswick. 

And enjoy some poutine and pea meal bacon while you are there!
Full-timing for over seven years and 134,000 miles in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N.
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 09:48:18 PM »
Do the Ferries out of North Sidney carry RV's ?
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

“All I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.” -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

muskoka guy

• ---
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 10:17:14 PM »
Yes they do. They are very large ferrys. They probably hold hundreds of transport trucks and cars. They load multiple levels at one time. Here is a video of my friends rv loading on at North Sydney. Watch the camper near the end of the video. The people almost walk right out in front of the rv. Only my friends quick reaction saved them from getting hit.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhmbR59xhgI

docj

• ---
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 06:23:19 PM »
Do the Ferries out of North Sidney carry RV's ?

If you're speaking of the ferries going to Newfoundland from North Sydney the answer is a definite yes.  That carry 18-wheelers and anything smaller.  We rode them to NFLD this summer.  A great experience.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

johnd393

• ---
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 11:34:23 PM »
Depends on your point of view ive been here 46 years havent seen it all - what's worth seeing in the states especially with a 36% exchange rate -  Americans basically come here for free lol

On our August, 2019 road trip into AB, with the exchange rate, rooms were over $200 USD in the cheapest places we could tolerate. We had a couple nights at a airport hotel that were reasonable, the rest, over 200USD. I wouldn't call that free.

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 08:33:31 AM »
When I was younger I flew to Minnesota to go water skiing with friends. We did a day trip to Winnipeg and we declared it the boob capitol of the world.
[/quote

Have you offered to do tourism ads for them?  😂
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 11:09:11 AM »
On our August, 2019 road trip into AB, with the exchange rate, rooms were over $200 USD in the cheapest places we could tolerate. We had a couple nights at a airport hotel that were reasonable, the rest, over 200USD. I wouldn't call that free.
What were you paying in Canadian currency? At the current exchange rate that would be $266CDN which is pretty excessive.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 03:51:32 PM »
Not wishing to be argumentative, but I just searched Choice Hotels, and Wyndom Hotels websites for Calgary, and both listed the majority of hotels under $100 CDN, with many under $75, That would be $75 or $56 USD.  Now if you were there during the Calgary Stampede, which is a major sell out with thousands of tourists coming, then the prices might make sense, but that is only for the period of the Stampede in early July.

Ed
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 03:53:19 PM by Hfx_Cdn »
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

dcrbtt

• ---
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2019, 03:53:24 PM »
So what is a must see in canada?
2019 Forest River
FR-3  33DS
OWNED A RV SINCE 03-14-19

muskoka guy

• ---
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 04:09:33 PM »
The Bay of Fundy. Its got fun right in its name.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 04:33:58 PM »
You haven't read the above posts, the answer is CANADA.  Where ever you come visit you will find a warm welcome and plenty to see and do.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Barnibus

• ---
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2019, 05:02:01 PM »
We're thinking of going to Canada next Spring. We want to start with driving up through Maine, to St Johns, Newfoundland, and then traveling west to Vancouver. then head down to vist friends in San Jose, CA for the winter.
First question, of course - You guys think that is doable in one season?

Barney and Bette (Yes, really) With Fearless Freddy the Cat.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 30 V
"Suddenly it occurs to me,
What a long strange trip it's been,..."

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2019, 05:46:26 PM »
We're thinking of going to Canada next Spring. We want to start with driving up through Maine, to St Johns, Newfoundland, and then traveling west to Vancouver. then head down to vist friends in San Jose, CA for the winter.
First question, of course - You guys think that is doable in one season?
Yes but you may need to be a little selective of what you want to see. It should help you become more familiar and add things to your list for the next trip.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP ISM Cummins
Allison 4000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-