rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Choosing the Right RV  (Read 494 times)

SedowsGomes

Choosing the Right RV
« on: November 19, 2019, 09:27:02 AM »
I recently had an experience I thought I should share. I did a little research and discovered that truck campers are neither taxed nor registered in most states. That could amount to a substantial savings. I decided I'd sell my car and my camper and buy a 3/4 ton pickup. After reviewing the fuel efficiency of 3/4 ton pickups I realized that I'd be spending much more in fuel than I'd save in taxes and registration fees. I'm keeping my car and current camper.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Choosing the Right RV
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 09:33:12 AM »
Have you looked at the fuel efficiency of your truck when towing the camper? Can't be much different.

Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

NewmanRacing

• ---
    • Norms Carpet Cleaning
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 11:13:09 AM »
With what kind of car are you towing what camper?
1993 Fleetwood G30 21' Jamboree
1976 Dodge Class C - Deceased
1969 Starcraft Starcruiser- Deceased

Do not wait til you're half dead to live a full life.

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 06:49:05 PM »
A 3/4 ton won't hold much of a camper at all
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2019 F150 5l Super cab 8 ft box (company truck) daily driver
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded  5167lbs cargo/weight capacity
Selling truck parts for 15 yrs plus
" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 07:31:41 PM »
If you are anywhere near serious about a slide in camper, check weights very carefully!

The payload number on the yellow placard must be big enough to carry the dry wt of the camper PLUS everything you carry in the camper (or use camper GVWR) PLUS all passengers, car seats cad cargo in the truck.  A ton truck with a 2500 lb payload will likely come up short, as will a 1 ton SRW with a 3500 lb payload.

Check your numbers carefully!
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Hanr3

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 08:50:53 PM »
I ran into a Bass fishing Pro at Branson earlier this year. He had a 1 ton dually with a slide-in, and his boat in tow. We got to talking about his set-up. He did a ton of research and the only realistic option was a 1 ton dually. It was a nice slide-in, HVAC, Tv, expandable, shower, etc. Kept him and the misses content. He dropped the boat, took out a 4' long receiver extension, then dropped the slide-in in his camp site. This way he could tow the boat to the ramp every morning and fish the tournaments without breaking camp.

He picked up on my triple tow set-up and was envious, and curious. He is from Florida, triple tow isn't legal. I'm from Illinois and it is legal. We both accomplished the same thing, camper and boat towed with one vehicle to our destination. Sometimes the government can limit your possibilities.
2016 F150 3.5L Ecoboost XLT
2019 K-Z 231RK Sportsmen
1997 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 08:33:22 AM »
Im no slide in camper expert, but I have read that some campgrounds don't allow truck campers. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it might be worth looking into. I was considering buying a fifth wheel, plus a slide in camper for remote fishing and camping. As stated, a one ton dually was pretty much minimum if you want any sized slide in at all.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 08:40:29 AM »
I have read that some campgrounds don't allow truck campers.
Yes, but it's also true that some campgrounds don't allow trailers, some campgrounds don't allow tents, and some campgrounds don't even allow children.  None of those policies are prevalent enough to avoid having them.   ;)
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Matt_C

• ---
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 10:26:34 AM »
Sedows,

If you are trying to evaluate RVing, traveling and exploring by the "Cash out of Pocket" cost.  Nothing will compare to a good recliner and broadband. 
But, if you want to really see and experience things,  you kind of have to get there.  Sometimes, you have to stay there a while.  RVs in general are good for this.

MPG has nothing to do with the quality of the memories.

Matt   

A lifelong waterman with a trophy wife and a pair of mutts going places we cannot get by boat.

TheBar

• ---
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 09:35:21 PM »
Just had to add the #1 reason to have a truck camper, with 4 wheel drive you can camp in places nobody has camped before.
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C and Starcraft popup
DW loves camping more than I do