Itasca carpeting replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

Am strongly considering replacing the carpeting in my 2004 Itasca Meridian, and though the trend seems to be replacing carpeting with vinyl planks, we (aka "the Boss") have decided to stay with carpeting. My main concern is the dining slide - a 17 foot flat floor slide.

As near as I can tell, the wall side is secured with a tack strip, but the other edge of the carpeting wraps around the edge of the slide-out floor, and is secured under the slide floor by a metal strip attached with screws spaced roughly one foot apart. Removing the screws would be doable, however reattachment would be a real task.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of slide-out? Could it be partially extended and "tilted" to provide better access to the underside? Any information you can provide would be appreciated. 

When I redid my carpeting on my fiver the carpet was actually wrapped around a piece of wood.  The piece of wood was screwed to the slide floor face and the carpet was pulled over and stapled to the floor.

Ernie Eckberg replaced our carpet with laminated planks so the carpet was just ripped out. Our driver's side slideout is a flush floor so when the slide is retracted it lifts up - does yours do the same? I'm moving this to the Remodeling board, Ernie hopefully will give you a better answer.

We just ripped the old carpet out of our Journey and replaced it with a plank look floor.  The material is actually pine planks with a waterproof vinyl laminate.  It cost a bit, but looks great.  The old carpet got pretty soiled and we had steamed it clean several times already.

We did the same with our last motorhome and were always glad we did, but what we used last time proved to not be water proof.  It was Pergoe flooring and if water got into the seams it blistered up. It did look nice though.

John Canfield said:
Ernie Eckberg replaced our carpet with laminated planks so the carpet was just ripped out. Our driver's side slideout is a flush floor so when the slide is retracted it lifts up - does yours do the same? I'm moving this to the Remodeling board, Ernie hopefully will give you a better answer.

John,

You bring up a point I've been wondering about for a long time. I wanted to rip my old carpet out due to it discoloring after 15 years and replace it with vinyl plank flooring but was told by a mechanic that if it shows any indentation or wear patterns on the existing carpet, it will scrape a new vinyl or laminate floor. When we expand our front two opposing slides, we notice the carpet is pushed down due to the slide sitting on top of it, but I see no evidence that the slide might actually scrape the carpet on its way in and out. The slides fit flush, just as you mentioned, so I'm wondering if I can actually use planks rather than having to replace the carpet with more carpet. What is your opinion?

Typical me too responses - I asked a question about an Itasca slide-out, the monitor moved it from Winnebago specific to the remodeling board, and several members commented about their plank flooring install.    :(

I had a new Pace Arrow here that some friends purchased with vinyl planks. They remarked that the full wall slide had made some indentions in those planks. He had a piece of that material and even though it looked very nice, the construction was not as dense as the upper end products. You must understand that the rollers have an extreme amount of weight on them and the rounded surface of the roller impacting the floor is very thin. Thus, the roller is "digging " in to whatever surface it comes in contact with.
Since I'm a major advocate of engineered wood, those instances are a thing of the past.
Every medium you install will scratch- even steel. The ability to mask the  scratch is easier with engineered wood.
I also give clients some vinyl planks to lay on the main floor and let the slide glide over them. This raises the slide a fraction and perhaps that is all that is needed.

Re; Winnebago 2010 Vista 26P, 2 slides.  Removal of existing carpet and vinyl and replacement with engineered wood. Bath areas?
Cost? I doubt that I can do it myself due to health and I have removed my share of carpet, vinyl and staples.

Also want to remove a dinette and replace with a couch, recliner .  Cost?
The barrel chair behind the passenger seat is apparently bolted down. I want to make that movable.
Thoughts and experiences appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat

RedT said:
Typical me too responses - I asked a question about an Itasca slide-out, the monitor moved it from Winnebago specific to the remodeling board, and several members commented about their plank flooring install.    :(
There are some slide threads over on the Winnie Forum that might be helpful as well.  I'm sure the Mod moved it to help get more ideas for you.  Lots of Rvs use the same parts.
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f259/

Happy to state I found a company to install carpeting in my motorhome. It was a 2-day job, but was accomplished by two installers who were prompt, courteous, and proficient - not often found in today's market.
Don't know if I can post their name, etc here, but I would be happy to highly recommend them.

RedT said:
Happy to state I found a company to install carpeting in my motorhome. It was a 2-day job, but was accomplished by two installers who were prompt, courteous, and proficient - not often found in today's market.
Don't know if I can post their name, etc here, but I would be happy to highly recommend them.

Red, two questions: what part of the country are you in, and if you don't mind disclosing, how much did they charge?

I'm in Phoenix, AZ, obviously the type/style carpet varies greatly, as the cost. I found that most installers do not want the job, and bid for jobs based on yardage, whereas motorhome carpeting is smaller (26 - 30 yards) than residential, but more labor intensive. The company I used specializes in RV's, and their labor cost was reasonable.

Thanks, Red. Since I'm in SW Florida, your cost in Arizona will certainly be different than mine. I was simply trying to determine a baseline in the event I could find someone down here that is willing to do the work. I wasn't interested in knowing the full cost because as you said, that will vary depending on the carpet you use. I was more interested in knowing what the labor costs were so I could know if any quotes I received were too far fetched. I'm guessing to do a 39' coach (mine is similar to yours since Winnebago and Itasca are basically the same) an installer might want something around $1,000 - $1,500 plus the cost of the carpet. I have gotten the impression from other posters who have had this done that if you are able to remove the old carpet and staples yourself, it cuts the labor cost to less than half because the removal is more work.

Good luck with $1000- $1500 labor cost. I agreed to remove everything that covered the existing carpet, so essentially the coach was completely empty. Labor cost was $2000. Two experienced installers spent 2 full days - one day removing carpet, removing staples and scraping glue. One full day installing carpet. 

RedT said:
Good luck with $1000- $1500 labor cost. I agreed to remove everything that covered the existing carpet, so essentially the coach was completely empty. Labor cost was $2000. Two experienced installers spent 2 full days - one day removing carpet, removing staples and scraping glue. One full day installing carpet.

Good to know. If I could get it done in the Midwest, I know the labor cost would be a lot less than down here is SW Florida.

Back
Top Bottom