Full Time Living- Winter Heating Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aksmith

We are moving our camper into a RV park to live in full time. The lot that we have purchased already has a deck with an enclosed "extra living space". Our issue is our heat exhaust will be in our enclosed area. Is there a safe, inexpensive way to reroute the exhaust so we can use both the heat and the enclosed area? We have a child and want this to be the safest as possible.

Attachments

• FurnaceSuburbaExhaustAssy.jpg
    FurnaceSuburbaExhaustAssy.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 31
There's no good way to do what you're asking. Adding pipe to the exhaust would be outside the fan's design envelope. It might be OK, it might not. Simply, the furnace is not designed to operate with an extended exhaust stack, any mods you make to it would be just a guess.

And of course, leaving it unmodified so it exhausts into a living area is obviously not an option either. So unfortunately don't have an answer for you

Back2PA said:
There's no good way to do what you're asking. Adding pipe to the exhaust would be outside the fan's design envelope. It might be OK, it might not. Simply, the furnace is not designed to operate with an extended exhaust stack, any mods you make to it would be just a guess.

And of course, leaving it unmodified so it exhausts into a living area is obviously not an option either. So unfortunately don't have an answer for you

X's 2 It's just not a safe idea.

Another idea would be to use electric heaters instead of gas.

Back2PA said:
There's no good way to do what you're asking. Adding pipe to the exhaust would be outside the fan's design envelope. It might be OK, it might not. Simply, the furnace is not designed to operate with and extended exhaust stack, any mods you make to it would be just a guess.

This is my thought as well, although it was not indicated what is meant by "extra living space", for example is it a permanent structure with hard roof and sides in which case I see no viable solution, unless there are windows or vents that can be opened.  In such a case you would have the option of opening the windows and vents.  On the other hand if the "extra living space" consists of a removable structure, you would have the option of taking it down during the heating season or at least leaving windows, doors etc. open.

Gizmo100 said:
X's 2 It's just not a safe idea.

Another idea would be to use electric heaters instead of gas.

This is what we are currently doing and seems to be working fine. Just thought we would explore the option. Thank you!

Gizmo said:
This is my thought as well, although it was not indicated what is meant by "extra living space", for example is it a permanent structure with hard roof and sides in which case I see no viable solution, unless there are windows or vents that can be opened.  In such a case you would have the option of opening the windows and vents.  On the other hand if the "extra living space" consists of a removable structure, you would have the option of taking it down during the heating season or at least leaving windows, doors etc. open.

The extra living space is a permanent structure with a hard roof and sides, but it does have windows that can be opened.

Thank you for the advice!

I'd try installing a regular stove pipe and connecting it to the exaust. May still need a window cracked for make up air and no guarantee that the draft won't be unbalanced and impact heater operation but it should be safe enough so long as the exaust connection is secure. It shouldn't be terribly expensive to try.

Considering the usual vagaries of wind on the inlet in normal operation, I'd think you have a good chance it will work.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
I'd try installing a regular stove pipe and connecting it to the exaust. May still need a window cracked for make up air and no guarantee that the draft won't be unbalanced and impact heater operation but it should be safe enough so long as the exaust connection is secure. It shouldn't be terribly expensive to try.

Considering the usual vagaries of wind on the inlet in normal operation, I'd think you have a good chance it will work.

Ernie

It might, and in theory a larger stove pipe shouldn't offer additional back pressure. I would be sure and install a CO (carbon monoxide) detector in that living space if you choose to try this

Ernie n Tara said:

Ernie

I would install a CO2 detector in the addition if you decide to give this a try.

I'm not sure that stove pipe will work but I would take safety precautions.

Back2PA said:
It might, and in theory a larger stove pipe shouldn't offer additional back pressure. I would be sure and install a CO (carbon monoxide) detector in that living space if you choose to try this
Gizmo100 said:
I would install a CO2 detector in the addition if you decide to give this a try.
I'm not sure that stove pipe will work but I would take safety precautions.

There seems to be an echo in here  ;) ;D

Back2PA said:
There seems to be an echo in here  ;) ;D

HELLO....Hello...Hello

You know what they say....If you can find it in the internet 7 times then it must be true... ;D

Gizmo100 said:
You know what they say....If you can find it in the internet 7 times then it must be true... ;D

I think for some it's just one other time...  ::)

You lose this time Gizmo 100. The bad stuff is CO - Carbon monoxide, not  CO2- Carbon dioxide.

ChasA said:
You lose this time Gizmo 100. The bad stuff is CO - Carbon monoxide, not  CO2- Carbon dioxide.

Ha. Didn't even notice that. Good catch!

ChasA said:

I knew I should of checked that ......  ???

Of course if I can find it on the internet 6 more times then I could be right.  :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom