Mandolin for Christmas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I say go for it.....But it's not my money  ;D ;D

Years ago my wife surprised me with a VERY nice guitar for Christmas. But she had the same problem about shipping in time for Christmas. So she printed of a picture of the guitar, framed and wrapped it for the 25th. I had to wait until Feb. but it was worth it.

I don't think Chris is going to surprise me with this one. I may need to settle for an entry level mandolin  :(

[quote author=Utclmjmpr] With 8 strings the Mandolin is a WHOLE LOT different animal than a Uke[/quote]
I play an 8-string uke and a 12-string guitar  ;)

FWIW a mandolin is tuned:

G-G-D-D-A-A-E-E

i.e. both strings in each pair is tuned the same.

My 8-string uke is tuned:

G-g-C-c-E-E-A-A

i.e two of the pairs have a 'high' and 'low' string (an octave apart), while the strings in the other two pairs are in unison.

New a fella a long time ago,,,( used to be a Friend),, told me the sweetest country sound he had ever heard was an accordion,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  landing on a banjo in the bottom of a dumpster ::)>>>D

From the book Easy 2-Chord Songs For Mandolin by Wayne Erbsen.

Attachments

• Mandolin 2-chord songs.jpg
    Mandolin 2-chord songs.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 22
We stopped at a Guitar Center on the way home from the eye lab today. Actually, Chris disappeared into Hobby Lobby next door and took advantage of their 50% off sale, while I went into GC. A poor selection of mandolins in the store, but I got to play a couple that, surprisingly, were in tune. I ended up buying an entry level instrument that was on sale, but not on display; Didn't even unwrap it and play it in the store. Guitar Center has a 45-day returns policy at any of their stores.

Haven't yet got beyond tuning it and playing a few chords. Time to commit those chords to muscle memory and whack away at a few simple tunes. But I can already tell that this entry level mandolin doesn't play/sound as good as the more expensive ones I tried in the store. That $6,399 Gibson is starting to look more & more attractive.

Congrats on the new instrument!  I'm trying to talk hubby into getting me a Ukulele for Christmas.  I played guitar many, many years ago but my fingers have since gone soft and I can't make myself go through the callousing process.  He's being resistant - I might get it for him!  ;D

Thanks, but I'm going to return it and get something other than an entry level mandolin.

I'm trying to talk hubby into getting me a Ukulele for Christmas.
Did you figure out what size, make/model?

I played guitar many, many years ago
A baritone ukulele is tuned the same as the highest 4 strings on a guitar (D-G-B-E). When you play chords, it will be just like playing them on guitar without the low E & A strings. So, some chords will be 1-finger chords. However, the 2 lowest strings on a baritone uke (D-G) will be wound wire strings, and the B-E strings will be nylon.

All other ukulele sizes are tuned G-C-E-A and will likely have all nylon strings.

He's being resistant - I might get it for him!

I know that process very well  :)

Be sure to let us know what  you decide to get.

I've been playing mandolin for 40 years or so.
I concur you will get much bang for your buck with
The gibson.
Mandolins especially the f5 style are very labor
Intensive to build. You can get the same sound
Out of an A5 style at half the cost... if your not
Locked into the same thing bill monroe used.
I have an Ellis a5 special.. wonderful instruments.
But collings and Gibson and others all make decent
A5 mandolins.  With an f5 it's the labor in making the
Horns that costs so much..they're solid and dont add to the tone..

Tom, you only live once, just get the one you want if you can afford it. I'm sure Mrs Claus won't mind.

I suggested Mrs Claus start a starving musician fund  :)

Actually, that Gibson is the 'wrong' kind of mandolin. Meanwhile, I'm thinking of getting an Irish Bouzouki instead, so I can play a lot of Celtic tunes. Currently procrastinating over the choice between a couple of brands.

Long-time guitar player here, and I?d encourage any guitarist who?s looking for a new and interesting challenge to get a mandolin if at all possible. Just a very cool instrument and perfect for traveling and blending with a guitar... you know, like at an RV Park! Easy to learn a handful of chords and you?re off and running..... I?d suggest one with at least a 1-3/16 nut. That?s pretty standard but some come smaller and even at this larger standard size, there ain?t a whole lot of fretboard space! You can find ?em with a 1-1/4 nut as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom