2 Real Simple Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

(1) With a Trav'ler and a Hopper3, where in the continental US would western arc satellites NOT be available?

(2) Same question, but with a Playmaker and a Wally.

The worst area for the western arc is northern Maine where 129 is so low as to be nearly impossible to hit. As you move south from there the sat elevation angles increase to more usable levels. Everywhere else, which arc is available just depends on local conditions like tall trees or buildings blocking the signals. And in some locations, which arc has your locals in HD or at all.

arcticfox2005 said:
(1) With a Trav'ler and a Hopper3, where in the continental US would western arc satellites NOT be available?
(2) Same question, but with a Playmaker and a Wally.
arcticfox2005
DISH Network?s Western Arc coverage map: http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76452&d=1413231639

Jim, I'm not really sure of all the tech details, but Nick Brewer set it all up. He works full time at Tiffin and does installation at home after hours. Most impressive knowledge. The Hopper3 we will take with us from home and will use the Playmaker when we can't get a signal from the Trav'ler. It only involves disconnecting/connecting a coax cable and an HDMI cable. His business us called RVElectronics and is southwest of Red Bay on Hwy 23. If you need more info contact me at [email protected].

If you have a Hopper3 and the Dish version Trav'ler roof mount dish, the only additional equipment needed is a DPH42 switch and its companion power inserter. You could also use a manually aimed tripod mounted full face dish with a DPH LNB for locations where the Trav'ler is blocked or when you need the eastern arc sats.

mel s said:
arcticfox2005
DISH Network?s Western Arc coverage map: http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76452&d=1413231639

The boundary shown on the map is not as hard and fast as it might seem. I've hit the full western arc in northern NY, VT, and southern ME even though they are fringe areas. In those locations though, I was on raised terrain that lent itself to hitting the low elevation of the 129 sat.

arcticfox2005 said:
The Hopper3 we will take with us from home and will use the Playmaker when we can't get a signal from the Trav'ler.

You'll be running your Wally, not the Hopper 3, on the Playmaker, right?

zulu said:
Here's a map that shows where each of DISH's markets get their local stations. For example, if a city gets its DISH locals on the Western Arc, then it's a sure bet that all the other DISH programming comes from that arc.

We've not had that issue when we travel.  For example, we recently were in a COE campground near Montgomery, AL, where the local channels are carried only on the western arc.  Our campsite was "treed in", and we couldn't access any western arc satellites, but we did have a clear shot at all the eastern arc satellites.  We could receive all the channels we are subscribed to, except for the local channels.  Luckily we were near enough to the broadcast antennas that we could get over the air reception for local broadcasts.

zulu said:
Right. But most DISH markets that are roughly east of the Mississippi have programming on both arcs. Montgomery, AL is an exception to that along with some other markets as shown in this DISH market map:

https://rvseniormoments.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/dish-tv-station-markets_9-12-17.jpg

On the map, Casper, WY, and Charlottesville, VA are shown as western arc only, but they're also on the eastern arc 77 sat. Cincinnatti, OH, and Louisville, KY are also on the western arc and the eastern arc 77 sat only, and are shown on the map as both arcs. The 77 feeds for those markets are CONUS beamed, not spot beamed, so they can be received anywhere in the lower 48.

Zulu, sorry, I missed your question.

Yes, Hopper3 used with the Trav'ler, Wally with the Playmaker. The Wally will always be in the motorhome but the Hopper3 is our home unit.

Will there be a problem with this setup?

arcticfox2005 said:
Zulu, sorry, I missed your question.

Yes, Hopper3 used with the Trav'ler, Wally with the Playmaker. The Wally will always be in the motorhome but the Hopper3 is our home unit.

Will there be a problem with this setup?

There shouldn't be.

Not to hijack this thread but along the same lines; I have a Dish Playmaker portable sat antenna and a Dish Wally and VIP 211z receivers. I don't currently have Dish service but if/when I sign up my billing address will be Tampa, FL.
Is one receiver better than the other? What's the difference?
Will I be able to receive both eastern and western arc sat's with these receivers. Does the sat antenna or receiver auto pick the satellite with the best reception?
Sorry for these basic questions, I haven't use my equip in some time.

As I understand it, the Wally is the latest/newest design, so probably the best one to use.
Also, I think it only uses the western arc satellites.

arcticfox2005 said:
As I understand it, the Wally is the latest/newest design, so probably the best one to use.
Also, I think it only uses the western arc satellites.

The Wally itself can receive either Western (110, 119, 129) or Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7, 77) sats. However, the PlayMaker can only receive the Western Arc sats.

I have the DPH42 switch installed along with the power inserter.  Haven't tried it out yet however.
Here is a link to videos about all the different installations along with the Wally.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=RV+and+Hopper3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom