rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: HotSpots Streaming  (Read 694 times)

X-Roughneck

• ---
  • 2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J/ 2013 Jeep
HotSpots Streaming
« on: January 26, 2020, 04:24:45 AM »
Hello Board.  Looking to purchase a hot spot for video streaming while on the road.  I had a similiar post about Cell Carriers on a Winn FB group I belong to awhile back.

I ran my own informal poll on cell phones and reliability thru out the USA, and it seemed that a majority like "Verison" as possibly the most complete coverage USA wide with of course dead spots. 

I know I will probably get Flamed by the Metro PCS and the Boost Lovers.   :D

I want a hotspot.  My wife has a Galaxy Note S10, I have a Samsung S8 Plus.  We both are not, prisoner of our phones so using one as a hot spot is OK,

Any suggestions, Plan info on Verison Hotspots Pros, Cons, thoughts, Opinion? Should I purchase a stand Alone Dedicated Hot spot?

Never had one and don't want to pay a arm an a leg for what ever I do.  I really hate the idea of a contract anything. 

We have Cricket for Voice and just being Cheap as our day to day and it works great at the Sticks and Bricks, of course utilizing the WiFi mostly when we are home. 

I think Cricket is a 2nd Tier owned by AT&T.  I talked my self out of going with Visible, which I think is Verision 2nd Tier cell service.

So I would greatly appreciate some 2020 Realtime input if you have a second or two.

Thanks.

Happy Life to Ya.

Nobody is getting out of here alive, Lighten Up!

2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2013 Jeep
M&G Air Over Hydraulic Brake on Jeep
Air Tank Adapter for braking on RV

Certified Oil Field Trash / Roughneck (5 yr)
Retired Army (20 yr)
Retired Army Civilian (10 yr)

Only Lessons I never forgot, Were taught by my parents, or a Dog.

John/JD

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
Re: HotSpots Streaming
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 04:29:50 AM »
Do you have any idea of how much data you will use in a month?
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2020 Buick Envision AWD Premium in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

X-Roughneck

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 04:54:36 AM »
I use to have Gig Service from AT&T at that house when we lived in San Antonio.  We blew thru far more that a 22 GB Throttle Cap.  22 GB will probably work and is probably all I can hope for, I guess?

I know that true unlimited data is like hunting for that $100K RV but only paying $50K for it. 

I hear the people that have the True Unlimited are usually Grand Fathered Roll over because of their long term Customer rewards.

Hard to find "Unlimited / Non Throttled", or I guess in 2020. 

Not sure if Visible is still running that "Unlimited" promotional but I heard so many negative things about the customer support I failed to act on it. 

I guess I am asking myself if I have crappy \/ spotty service at best then what good is unlimited? 

Kind of like I got a warranty on my RV, but I need to figure out a way to get to towed /500 miles so I can get part X repaired for free.

I am coming at this with eyes wide open knowing my data will get choked down around 20 GB - ish range.

I am even thinking about maybe Pay as I go Dish Service that I have read about? 

I don't have Dish at the house, but that pay for 1 month of service and it is auto shut off is very appealing.

I guess the Sirius contracts I have been in make me like even more that aspect. 

I know with Sirius when you lock into that promotional rate you better set a calendar reminder to cancel or they hit you with the FULL rate on that auto contract renewal, ouch. 

That coupled with you must call Sirius on the phone during East Coast Business hours to cancel. 

I am sure that factors into their, they will forget to cancel strategy $$$.  You think?

So again anyone wanting to share cost and opinion, let her rip, tater chip. 

I am all ears.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 05:06:10 AM by X-Roughneck »
2013 Jeep

Retired Army (20 yr)

John/JD

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 05:06:35 AM »
True unlimited data is available from Google. Buy a Pixel phone and get the Fi network. $20 a month per line and $10 per gig with a maximum of 6 gigs. Then there is no charge. $70 per month is the price of unlimited phone. It uses three different providers so it has the most service of any provider in the US.

https://fi.google.com/about/plans/

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 05:22:40 AM »
True unlimited data is available from Google.

It is unlimited but throttled ("optimized") after 22GB.

Interesting though. I'm in a very spotty area (although usable) for both Verizon and AT&T; T-mobile users report no coverage here, yet the Google map shows solid 3G coverage. Would be interesting to know whether that's accurate (coverage maps for all carriers are notoriously broad-brushed and optimistic) and which carriers they're using. Presumably when 3G is shut down (delayed, at least for Verizon, to the end of this year) the 3G area will become a 4G area
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 05:24:20 AM by Back2PA »
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

X-Roughneck

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 05:35:19 AM »
True unlimited data is available from Google. Buy a Pixel phone and get the Fi network. $20 a month per line and $10 per gig with a maximum of 6 gigs. Then there is no charge. $70 per month is the price of unlimited phone. It uses three different providers so it has the most service of any provider in the US.

https://fi.google.com/about/plans/

This looks kind of Sexy.  Thanks.

SB, I know you are some kind of camera "expert" <air quotes, from following some of your posts. 

I think you gave me some info on RV insulation, or the lack there of one time also, so if I failed to say thanks earlier. Thanks in case I forgot to say.

Should I trash this old Cam and go cell phone for Pic Snapping?  I like cell because the small size.

I have a Old Sony Cybershot I think those pics look Pretty Rich, but Is this Model similar to the old VCR, meaning....Dinosaur, and I should just be moving on? 

I would consider taking it on a nature Hike. 

Model Sony Cybershot 8.0 MP , DSC F828.  This thing is Old...Your not going to hurt my feelings?  Garbage? 

I think the new cams with WiFi might the way to go. 

I think my old Sony CS is still worth something?  Maybe only to a Camera Museum, though.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 05:41:46 AM by X-Roughneck »
2013 Jeep

Retired Army (20 yr)

John/JD

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:43:55 AM »
This looks kind of Sexy.  Thanks.

SB, I know you are some kind of camera "expert" <air quotes, from following some of your posts. 

I think you gave me some info on RV insulation, or the lack there of one time also, so if I failed to say thanks earlier. Thanks in case I forgot to say.

Should I trash this old Cam and go cell phone for Pic Snapping?  I like cell because the small size.

I have a Old Sony Cybershot I think those pics look Pretty Rich, but Is this Model similar to the old VCR, meaning....Dinosaur, and I should just bee moving on? 

I would consider taking it on a nature Hike. 

Model Sony Cybershot 8.0 MP , DSC F828.  This thing is Old...Your not going to hurt my feelings?  Garbage? 

I think the new cams with WiFi might the way to go. 

I think it is still worth something?  Maybe only to a Camera Museum, though.
No, I am not going to call it garbage. It will still take great photos. However there are some advantages to the newer cell phones. Like Wifi. I no longer have an SD card in my camera because it is not necessary. Every image gets uploaded to the cloud automatically. I don't even have to think about it. I take a photo and it is on the computer almost immediately. I no longer have to sit and download all my images after a day of taking photos. The biggest advantage for me it that my phone is always in my pocket so there is no excuse for missing a shot.
You are welcome.

X-Roughneck

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 05:51:45 AM »
I will agree with you, I have learned having that Camera with you is important 100% of the time because the best shots are spontaneous. 

I have missed alot of great shots by forgetting to take it with me walking the dogs, or I guess them taking me for a walk would be more accurate.

I do not like old school VCR on my shoulder, draw every eye in the crowd on you. 

I like to stay on the sidelines incognito.  Not to mention the hassle of the extra weight and bulk.

Looking at that Google site. I think I am going to get a google sim card for the old Galaxy 7 tucked away in a drawer, which is still probably good to use as a hot spot.  Carry that 3rd cell as the hot spot.

I will pause the contract while we are not on the road.  I like that pause. cancel anytime, add anytime aspect of their plan.

Therefore not fighting the 24 mo contract, but timing pauses etc. by the date you monthly plan cycles to new month.  I see mine on pause alot...... We are out and back campers
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 06:55:18 AM by X-Roughneck »
2013 Jeep

Retired Army (20 yr)

John/JD

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 12:24:34 PM »
Our primary hotspot is currently on a grandfathered AT&T unlimited (tower prioritized but not throttled) $20/mo data plan. Our backup hotspot for the few AT&T weak spots we've hit so far is a Visible (a Verizon company) prepaid unlimited talk, text, and data (also prioritized but not throttled) plan at $25/mo using their "Party Pay" feature. The Visible service does have some limitations such as a relatively small selection of compatible phones and a one device hotspot connection limit. We get around the one device limit by making that device a router that accepts many devices at once. The standard Visible price is $40/mo...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

X-Roughneck

• ---
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 08:12:23 PM »
Our primary hotspot is currently on a grandfathered AT&T unlimited (tower prioritized but not throttled) $20/mo data plan. Our backup hotspot for the few AT&T weak spots we've hit so far is a Visible (a Verizon company) prepaid unlimited talk, text, and data (also prioritized but not throttled) plan at $25/mo using their "Party Pay" feature. The Visible service does have some limitations such as a relatively small selection of compatible phones and a one device hotspot connection limit. We get around the one device limit by making that device a router that accepts many devices at once. The standard Visible price is $40/mo...

I almost did Visible, but didn't.  I am going to try the Google.  I will get the SIM card active for a month and pause the plan.  I will buy one month as required. (This is what I think I am looking for) We are thinking 3 months on the road a year, cumulative.  I personally couldn't do full timing in a C, for sure.  The walls start closing in right at that 3rd week.  I like to be home anyway. 

I have a old Galaxy 7 I am thinking about getting the number and just using mainly as a hot spot. Am I crazy for thinking that?
2013 Jeep

Retired Army (20 yr)

John/JD

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 08:19:22 PM »
If the Galaxy 7 covers the needed frequency bands for the Google carriers, it should work fine as a hotspot as far as I know. We full time quite happily in a 34' Class A with a single super slide and have no intentions of going bigger.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 10:24:24 PM »
My nephew is using the OTR mobile unlimited plan, I think it is about $70 per month, and seems to be happy with it.

I have the grandfathered AT&T Mobley CCU plan
2002 Safari Trek 2830

X-Roughneck

• ---
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 04:36:19 AM »
I think Seilerbird hit my nail on the head.  Google as a Option was NOT on my radar screen.  I like the Google - pause anytime feature.  Traveling with Cricket as your sole source of comms is Iffy, but pretty good coverage.  We won't get our Hotspot thru Cricket for that exact same reason.  They do offer that service of course. 

Relying on the Camp Ground to have a great WIFI signal you can pick up is iffy I have found also.  Nothing wrong with PBS but pulling down things to watch on Over the Air Antenna is like going to Vegas.  You just never know when you roll the dice what you are going to get.  We did not get into RVing to watch TV but it is nice to have some choices at night.
2013 Jeep

Retired Army (20 yr)

John/JD