Tires off ground for winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PapaJerry69

I want to lift all four tires off the ground for winter, but need assurances. My military background says I should put jack stands under axles, nearest to the wheel well (not on leaf spring mounts). Then put a mark on each tire at the six o?clock position, and rotate 90 degrees each 30 days until spring dewinterization. Cover each tire with same material as the cover that fits the trailer.
Question is this: will I do any harm by having the axles jack up, on at a time? Only concerned that axles look like solid tubes, with no discernible place to put jack as I work them off the ground.
Jack stands have curved receivers and each are rated for 3 tons, and TT weighs only 6,000 lbs total.
Grey Wolf Limited 26DBH, empty and winterized.
Any guidance or cautionary comments?

There is no need to put it in the air for storage.  You are Way over thinking this.  I do cover my trailer and tires, others say don't bother, I like to keep sun off graphics.  Many years ago, tires would flatspot.  Not the case any more.

The older Bias ply tires would have a tendency to flat spot over the winter months or if left sitting in one spot for too long.  It's not an issue with radial tires.  Just make sure that the tires are fully inflated to the sidewall rating of the tire.  Some folks even suggest going over that number by 10%.  That extra 10% is nothing to worry about as the tire many times, when traveling in the summer temperatures, will increase in pressure by that much.  I've not raised trailer tires in years.....ever since my trailers have had radial tires on them.

Thanks for replies, you saved me time and money. Not used to having these type of tires at 65psi.  I appreciate your comments; I?ll put the covers on them for the winter after checking the pressure one more time.
Jerry

Some tire manufactures recommend putting something between the tire and ground if left sitting for a while, like a piece of plastic or wood. Your call, some do it, some don't.

I agree with Sarge especially if storing on grass or dirt.  I keep mine on concrete, never added any extra air, keep at the recommended 50 psi year round (they probably drop a tad in mid winter), never an issue.  The big thing is: if it's going to freeze, do your proper water winterization.  I also take my battery, top it off and put in garage, top it off 1x /month.  Probably not necessary, at least a 100% disconnect.

In twenty years of trailering, I never jacked mine for the winter.
I just parked it with pieces of plywood under the wheels

Jack L

PapaJerry69 said:
Thanks for replies, you saved me time and money. Not used to having these type of tires at 65psi.  I appreciate your comments; I?ll put the covers on them for the winter after checking the pressure one more time.
Jerry

That?s what I do. 

My Miata will often sit for a month or more, and definitely has flat spots on the tires.  After 4 or 5 miles, the tires warm a bit an are round again.

I park on concrete driveway pavers in the yard.  No other tire care.  They also develop flat spots - gone in very few miles.

I can't speak to all the old methods, however I leave the tires on the ground, water lines blown out, and the camper plugged in all winter. There are occasions when I spend time in the camper during the winter. sometimes to watch a game, other times to take care of a chore or two. It's nice to have power, especially electric heat.

I usually winterize the camper Thanksgiving weekend and put it back in service around the 1st of March. It's still winter, however fishing season starts (ice out) and I'm going camping/fishing.

I do the same with the boat. Park it under my shed lean-to and cover with a tarp. I have to winterize it this weekend as well. However I typically have to pull it back into the garage in February, otherwise the ground can be soft come the 1st of March. I left too many ruts in the yard over the years. Tired of fixing them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom