rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 79 Dodge Sportsman/Corsair Remodel  (Read 425 times)

79Sportsman

79 Dodge Sportsman/Corsair Remodel
« on: November 24, 2019, 02:52:49 PM »
Hi All!

I'm brand new to RV'ing and just picked up a 1979 Dodge Sportsman/Corsair.
The interior is old and in rough shape, so I'm gutting it and remodelling everything.

One of the first questions I have is what's your experience with switching everything from Propane to electric?  Most of the RV is original so I'm a little hesitant to fill it full of gas and light a match. 

Does anyone have experience with removing everything that ran off propane and just adding electric powered fridge/stove/furnace?

SpencerPJ

• ---
Re: 79 Dodge Sportsman/Corsair Remodel
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 03:41:08 PM »
2 way RV refrigerators that run on electric and propane are nice on the road.  But, no reason you can't make it all electric.  Keep conscious of weight distribution, don't pull out a 50# RV fridge and replace with a 500# residential.
2005 YukonXL; 2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

TheBar

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 06:58:38 PM »
After finding out two 1500 electric heaters keep the inside above 70 at 30 degrees outside we decided to try all electric. I installed a new outlet today to replace the stove with an electric range top. We never use the oven so that space will become extra storage. The only problem to be aware of is it isn't easy to run additional wiring in these things.
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C and Starcraft popup
DW loves camping more than I do

Matt_C

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 08:19:31 AM »
Even a coach as new as that (see profile) is bound to have issues. 
Electric is OK if you plan to only go between reservations at FHU campgrounds.  Or, you plan to carry a large enough generator for everything and never try to stop anyplace that has quiet times.....

Before you give up on the LP system, do a single check.  Get a piece of clear flexible tubing, a yard (or metre) stick and some rubber bands.  Make a manometer.  Put a little gas in the tank and water in the manometer.  Remove one stove burner and put the tubing over the jet.  With that burner on, the manometer should show a difference of 11" (280mm) of water.  Turn the tank off and leave it alone overnight.  If the column is still displaced in the morning, the system is good.

Please be aware before you get too far, that all the rubber parts of the coach are over age.  This is not just door seals, but also brake and fuel lines as well as coolant and other hoses.  Oh, Yeah, Belts and Tires Too. 

At that age, the tires might be 16.5.  When you go to replace, they may be in short supply.  Think about changing the wheels to newer 16" radial capable wheels.

Safe Travels.

Matt
A lifelong waterman with a trophy wife and a pair of mutts going places we cannot get by boat.

cerd

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 10:16:13 AM »
We boondock for half of our trips during the summer and they are usually 3 hours from A to B, so we kept all of the propane accessories. Overall, its a LOT easier to deal with as opposed to generators and electric everything. As they say, silence is golden.

In addition to what Matt said, make sure you replace ALL of the gaskets around the windows, doors, vents, etc while you are remodelling as they are likely shot. Don't coat over them; scrape the old stuff off and put a fresh layer on the raw surfaces. When we bought ours, the previous owners put sealant over the old rotting stuff. It worked for a few months, then I went out one day after a hard rain and noticed my ceiling was sagging. It was not only leaking, but holding water inside the ceiling for days.
1990 Chevy G30 Gulfstream Ultra Class C
350TBI

79Sportsman

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 06:49:07 AM »
Ive noticed that the hot water holding tank has split (it must have been left full one winter, froze, expanded and cracked). 

Can anyone recommend a great parts website?  If I do keep the LP Gas system I'll need some new parts!

cerd

• ---
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 06:38:54 AM »
I would consider replacing the whole unit. A few quick searches looks like the tank alone is about $200 and a new unit is about $350.
1990 Chevy G30 Gulfstream Ultra Class C
350TBI

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 99 Country Coach Magna
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 06:46:26 AM »
Agree about just replacing the whole unit.  Huge amount of work to try to replace just the tankm=, and there are other pieces involved.  Dyers RV and PPL are both great suppliers.

Bill & Jolene W (& Koda 6/1/2004 6/15/2019 R.I.P.)
Retired from Old Faithful, Old Guy at Hardware Store
1999 Country Coach Magna 40'. (JUST ONE NOW)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI