Tesla's Cybertruck - EV towing actually possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
Check it out: www.tesla.com/cybertruck

I'm not a fan of the name or the physical appearance (looks like a bad idea of what people in the 1970's-80's thought today's "future" flying vehicles would look like)... but the Tesla Cybertruck is advertised with up to 3500# payload and 14,000# towing capacity. Granted, I'm sure pulling that kind of load would seriously limit the mileage range-per-charge... but I'm pretty surprised that a consumer level Electric Vehicle is boasting that kind of towing ability. That matches or beats many 3/4 ton gas trucks (including mine) currently out there.

I see 250 miles estimated range, and 7500 lb towing cap.

So, would like to see what the range might be while towing that 7500 lbs

Not sure it's quite ready for prime time.

But some of the solar guys, could have panels on their TT, and drive all day long, free  ;D ;D ::)

Range is definitely the limiting factor. Let the fourth set (scrolling down) of images rotate and you'll see the 14,000# towing statistic, with an image of the truck pulling a futuristic-looking box trailer. Although I believe that image is likely computer generated at this point.

Ah, yes. The specs have three options in check boxes
Option 3 Tri-motor AWD shows 500 mile range and 14K towing cap.
option 2 dual motor AWD shows 300 m range and 10K towing cap.

So, the unanswered question is how much does actually towing to capacity affect the range.

I don't expect it is quite ready for extended travel with a TT or a 5W, just yet.

Towing a big, boxy RV trailer means you have twice as many wheels on the ground (double the rolling resistance),  2-3 times the total frontage area (wind resistance),  and 2-3 times the solo rolling weight.

This translates into needing 2-3 times as much power to move down the road.  Your range per charge (or fuel fillup) will decrease by a like amount.

Put a 14K iron beam on a flatbed trailer and you'll get better mileage because there won't be as much additional wind resistance.

This holds true regardless of motive power.  A gas or diesel pickup with less aerodynamics than the Tesla truck typically gets half or less of it's solo MPG pulling an RV trailer.

Lou Schneider said:
Towing a big, boxy RV trailer means you have twice as many wheels on the ground (double the rolling resistance),  2-3 times the total frontage area (wind resistance),  and 2-3 times the total rolling weight.

So expect to get 1/3 to maybe 1/2 the range of a solo truck since you're using 2-3 times as much power to move down the road.

This holds true regardless of motive power.  A gas or diesel pickup with less aerodynamics than the Tesla truck typically gets half or less of it's solo MPG pulling an RV trailer.

So, using that logic 200 miles may be a good day running that kind of rig. With a G/D truck, you can just stop and refuel, and keep on truckin' But unless you can find a serious Flash-charging station every couple hundred miles, you're not going to get anywhere fast.
Take us a week to get across Texas.

Barnibus said:
So, using that logic 200 miles may be a good day running that kind of rig. With a G/D truck, you can just stop and refuel, and keep on truckin' But unless you can find a serious Flash-charging station every couple hundred miles, you're not going to get anywhere fast.
Take us a week to get across Texas.

And each time you recharge you'll have to drop the trailer first since I haven't seen any charging stations designed to accommodate a vehicle pulling a trailer.

Our SIL works for Tesla, I asked him about the design, I'm not a fan for sure. It's that way because of the type of steel they used doesn't lend itself to stamping so it has straight lines, That's why when he hit it with the mallet, it didn't bend,,,gregg

FOr RV use.. there is a very logical way to extend the distance limits..  Put a good size inverter generator (i'm told these need 30-50 amps at 240 volt to re-charge) in the  bed of the truck with a lift/hoist system.. Even a smallr one may work (one you can lift out) now you gas up.  few gallons. drive way more than the charge limit since the generator is re-charging.  Gas up. run your RV all night at the truck stop. Gas up do day 2. and when you finally get to Group site in QZ.. you have power. (Set the generator out or just run an extension cord to the Rig and leave it in the bed._)

Broke Boater said:
Our SIL works for Tesla, I asked him about the design, I'm not a fan for sure. It's that way because of the type of steel they used doesn't lend itself to stamping so it has straight lines, That's why when he hit it with the mallet, it didn't bend,,,gregg
I'm actually surprised that they didn't use aluminum or carbon fiber for the body, minus the box.

John From Detroit said:
FOr RV use.. there is a very logical way to extend the distance limits..  Put a good size inverter generator (i'm told these need 30-50 amps at 240 volt to re-charge) in the  bed of the truck with a lift/hoist system.. Even a smallr one may work (one you can lift out) now you gas up.  few gallons. drive way more than the charge limit since the generator is re-charging.  Gas up. run your RV all night at the truck stop. Gas up do day 2. and when you finally get to Group site in QZ.. you have power. (Set the generator out or just run an extension cord to the Rig and leave it in the bed._)
I would think that there is a protection circuit preventing charging while it is running. That aside, I was doing a little math. Referencing the Honda UE7000 Inverter Generator, it uses 5.1 gallons for 6 hours of run time at a full 7200 watts (although the EU7000 is only rated for 5,500 watts continuous). So say it takes 8 hours minimum for a full charge due to limitations of generator, you are looking at a minimum of 6.5 gallons of gas, which equates to appx 30mpg. That's not bad, but I think some of the hybrids are close to that now and there is no need to charge. Just gas up and keep going. They are probably cheaper than a Tesla too.

Reminds me of early computer gen vehicles in something like Minecraft.  2.9 0-60 for the trip-motor!  Wow, impressive.  I didn't click the buy now, I was afraid it might just auto withdraw my money.  What would these cost?

I suspect that is only in California, here in the middle of the country I have yet to see a Tesla at any charging station other than at hotels.  One of the first ones in Louisiana is at a Target shopping center about 50 miles from where I live, with maybe half a dozen charging stations, which I have driven by many times in the last decade and have yet to see it in use.

cerd said:
I would think that there is a protection circuit preventing charging while it is running. That aside, I was doing a little math. Referencing the Honda UE7000 Inverter Generator, it uses 5.1 gallons for 6 hours of run time at a full 7200 watts (although the EU7000 is only rated for 5,500 watts continuous). So say it takes 8 hours minimum for a full charge due to limitations of generator, you are looking at a minimum of 6.5 gallons of gas, which equates to appx 30mpg. That's not bad, but I think some of the hybrids are close to that now and there is no need to charge. Just gas up and keep going. They are probably cheaper than a Tesla too.

I do not see why that (Protection circuit) would be needed or why there could not be a way (For the company) to design so a generator would work around it.

And though you calc 30 mpg running ENTIRELY on the portable genny,  I'm talking about extending the range by use of the generator. You would still do your major charge at a "Charging station" This would be simply a range extender.

What car was it. The Chevy Volt or another that had a generator. for short hops you used only the battery but for a longer run the genny (Which only burned premium gas) kicked in?  Same idea. only a bit more practical

John From Detroit said:
I do not see why that (Protection circuit) would be needed or why there could not be a way (For the company) to design so a generator would work around it.

Powering the pickup from a dirty, non-pollution controlled generator in the truck bed would ruin Tesla's green image and probably violate several vehicle emission laws.

Heh. Those San Luis Obispo/Madonna Inn pics and vids are about 2 miles from here. We saw the unused charging trailer when we went there for breakfast on Sunday.

I was talking with a friend who works for PG&E yesterday. Tesla wants to add a lot more Superchargers to that site, so many that PG&E needs to reengineer their infrastructure to support it. That is a harbinger of things to come...

Lou Schneider said:
Tesla has already oversold their charging network.  Over the Thanksgiving holiday people were reporting half mile long lines for charging stations along I-5 and US 101 in California despite Tesla bringing in additional temporary chargers on a semitruck.

https://www.infowars.com/video-tesla-drivers-wait-up-to-an-hour-to-charge-electric-vehicles/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom