Generator for AC unit question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GARYJ

My Travel trailer has an Airxcel AC unit model 8333C8665
Currently I have a Honda EU 2000i generator that cannot make the AC unit work
There is a chance of buying a Generac GP 3000i (3000 watts)
I cannot find how many BTU?s my unit has
Do anyone know if the Generac would be able to run it?
Thank you all in advance

The specs on the travel trailer say that it has 13500 BTU?s

We ran the AC of our TT with paired Honda 2000s. Since you already have one, buy the other. A 3500 watt generator will be much heavier than the two Honda?s combined. BTW, the single 3500 should work, but it will be a lot louder than the two Honda?s in addition to the weight.

I wouldn?t be willing to carry more than one generator
It?s either the one I have, and not being able to run the AC, or buy the 3000 watt, if it can run my AC unit
It?s not a 3500 watt the one I?m looking at

You may want to consider installing this to help reduce the starting load on the generator.

https://www.microair.net/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners

Thanks for your response
I don?t want to install anything on the AC unit. Then again, the EU 2000i is too small to keep the AC running
What I would like to know is if anyone knows if the Generac 3000i would be able to run a 13500 BTU AC unit
One other thing; that device?s cost is about half the price of the brand new generac 3000

IMHO......

It would run the AC but it will be borderline. It's rated power is 2300 watts with up to 3000 watts for startup. If i'm going to have run the generator I would want it to run more than just the AC.

Our's is rated at 3000/3500 watts. So we can run the AC and the water heater or microwave. Not to mention the converter can recharge the batteries.

When testing the generator did you turn off some of the electrical items such as refrigerator and especially the converter? Those two items can make a big difference.

Just a thought..

Elevation can also enter into the equation.  We have a 3500 watt generator which will not carry just our AC at elevations over 6500'.  Not sure where you travel, but it might be a consideration.

As Gizmo says, very much marginal. It's a 2300 watt generator with a 3000W surge capability vs the 1600-run, 2000-surge you now have.  It will probably start the a/c most of the time but fail to do so now and then. With any other load, higher altitude, etc that makes starting difficult, it's more likely to miss.  So if you want foolproof operation, this is probably not it. If you can tolerate a bit of hassle now and then to save the $$, it's probably ok. 

However, I get the impression you are looking for an iron clad guarantee.

The a/c enhancement suggested above would really help reduce the compressor start-up loading, regardless of the genset you choose. Helps when on shore power too. Higher end a/c models include it as a standard feature.

Two of our AC units are equipped with the device Gary and Stvaughn referred to. (The Micro Air Easy Start 364) If you go to the Micro Air website, you'll find links to some YouTube videos that demonstrate the 364 doing exactly what you're trying to do. Ours enable us to start and run two 13,500 btu AC units on 30 amp service, while the compressor in our residential fridge is running. They're able to do this by ramping up the AC compressors very slowly.

Kev

I finally bought a generac 3000i inverter generator. It works like a charm on the A/C
No parallel generators nor easy start things

Glad to hear it is working well for you.  An old maxim comes to mind: "The proof of the pudding is in the eating".  Or maybe "You never can tell till you try" would be better.

Back
Top Bottom