RVQ mount on rear of camper?? Is this idea bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyInNY

I have a RVQ from a previous camper.  My new TT has an aux LP connection at the rear bumper and I have the extension hose already.  I purchased the TT mounting rail for the RVQ and would like to mount it to the rear of the camper.  The mount holds the RQV at a distance from the body of the camper, so I don't believe the camper is in danger of getting too hot.  Mounting it here puts it away from the awning and I like that idea too, no smoke/grease staining the awning. I can't see any reason why this location is a bad idea.  I've seen bumper mounting kits that seem very elaborate to do such a simple thing.

Can anyone give me a reason not to mount it here?

Attachments

• RVQ snip.JPG
    RVQ snip.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 77
I have seen some of those mounted on a swing bracket which gives you the ability to swing the grille out and away from the trailer and in a more desirable location for food preparation. I like that design. I personally wouldn't mount it permanently without a swing bracket.

It looks like the tail light to the trailer is a little close to the mounting area. I would worry about that some but it will depend on how you use the grille. If you are using low temps and feel as though you will be able to safely manage the mounting, mount it and see how it works out. It maybe fine. 

The RVQ is a small LP gas grill specifically made for campers.  It is a good size for a couple or a small family, not big enough for a big cook out.  My particular RVQ came from a pop-up camper made in the early 2000s.  The rack in the picture hooks to a rail mounted on the side of the camper.  Plug in the hose and you are all set.  Mine is several years old so I'm not sure if that particular model is available any more.  If you do a Google image search you can see several photos of one.

OK, thanks. Looks as if Henry gave some excellent advice -- I'd worry about what's behind the surface where you mount, but as long as you don't drill into something (wires, plumbing, etc.), I'd think it'd be OK.

Henry gave good advise.  My concerns are how the bracket is mounted so it is secure enough to support the grill as you go bouncing down the road (I assume it will be transported here?)

I have a Weber Q grill and use 1 lb bottles and sit the grill on the picnic table or a side table.  You could use a side table and still supply fuel from the bumper location.

I've used the bumper swing out mount. It's only for when you are stopped the grill goes into storage when not in use. It sits on a rail by gravity alone.
The bracket can be inconvenient if there is a hill near the rear of the trailer you can have your grill knee high of chest high depending.

I had one of these (actually still have it) on my old trailer.  It actually works very well.  At least it did for us.  Great for two people.  Ours was on the side of the trailer, under the awning, and we never had any issue with staining, smoking, melting, or anything else.  It just didn't get that hot, and the smoke always wafted out from under the awning with no problem. 

But, as was mentioned above, the rack in the picture is only meant for while you are set up.  It is not meant to leave the grill in while bouncing down the road.  It would never survive a trip, especially on the back of the trailer.  But it took about 3 minutes to set up.  Very easy.  As far as your idea, the mounting in the back is no problem for the rails for the rack.  But as I said, under the awning was no issues for us.  And it could provide shade when your cooking. 

Here is a picture of mine in use.  No worries.

Attachments

• DSCF0004 (Large).JPG
    DSCF0004 (Large).JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 19
I have a single rail that attaches to the camper.  The RVQ mount shown in the picture hooks to the rail when I want to use it, so there isn't anything hanging off the rail during traveling.  Once the RVQ is in the mount and the cover open, the cover provides a heat shield from the camper.  So I don't think this location is any more danger than the other locations on the camper body.  Due to compartment doors on the side of the camper I don't have a good spot near the propane connection to install the rail. I've seen the bumper mounts for grills, and while I like the concept, we don't use our grill that often to justify the expense.  Since I already had the grill and mount, the $6 rail and a longer hose was all I needed.

When we are camping our preferred cooking heat source is the campfire. I have a tripod grill that fits over the fire and we can adjust the height as needed.  We use that if there isn't a grill on the fire ring.  I think we've used the oven twice since started with camping several years ago.  Occasionally the microwave for reheating, rarely use the stove.

I welded up this swing out bracket for my grill. It rides on the camper's bumper full time, there is a quick connect on the propane line under the bumper. Truck Campers have limited storage and having the grill permanently mounted this way has been a great way to haul the bbq. If I had a trailer, I think I'd still go this way  because of the simplicity and convenience, plus since I can fab one up myself at very little cost,,,gregg

Attachments

• IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom