Alfa WiFi Camp Pro 2 Long Range WiFi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

Would this work as a wifi ranger alternative?  Found on Amazon and just don't understand enough about them to know. LOL
Thanks
https://www.amazon.com/Range-Repeater-APA-L2410-10dBi-Panel/dp/B07FL1NHMJ

Looks like and "Equivlent product"  Do not know about the outdoor module "Gain" figures (I think it says 10 DB for the Alpha do not know what the Wi-Fi Ranger is) but they appear to work the same way.

One word of caution ... Says "Simple one time setup".. One time, for each spot you park.

Since I work for WiFiRanger, I won't say much other than to point out that 10dB gain is quite small for a radio frequency amplifier system. For example, the WeBoost cellular amplifiers all offer 30-50 dB amplification. Since every 10 dB is a factor of 10 improvement there's a huge difference between 10 dB and 50 dB.

One thing that would bother me a bit about the Alpha product is that there are no actual specs that state what the device is capable of achieving.  Nor is there any indication of transmitter power, etc.  It would be difficult to assess how well it performs if there are no claims of how well it should perform.  JMO.

FWIW WiFiRanger is closing out its inventory of its legacy models as it ramps up its new Converge product line. No question but that it's a lot more than the cost of the device the OP posted, but it does represent a very good buy. https://wifiranger.com/elite-ac-sale/

Thanks.  Maybe I need something different. We have 2 verizon phones we use as hotspots. Is there a system that could take both the phone hotspots and make them into a better connection?

SMR said:
Thanks.  Maybe I need something different. We have 2 verizon phones we use as hotspots. Is there a system that could take both the phone hotspots and make them into a better connection?

Yes, there are devices that can amplify a cellular signal for your hotspots and/or phones.  Those devices are completely different from those that amplify wifi signals, though.  The leading company marketing cellular amps markets under the name WeBoost.  https://www.weboost.com/

SMR said:
We have 2 verizon phones we use as hotspots. Is there a system that could take both the phone hotspots and make them into a better connection?

As I understand this question, the OP is wondering if the two phones could be tied together to create a better connection (e.g., two 1mb connections bonded to create a 2mb connection). Back in the day I had dual ISDN modems bonded, that's the last time I heard of such a system.

However..... if one were to have a system (possibly Wifi Ranger, I'm not familiar) that combined wifi with cell, one could put one phone on wifi with mobile hotspot, and leave the other in cell and possibly such a system could combine the two. I'll leave that answer to others.

Back2PA said:
However..... if one were to have a system (possibly Wifi Ranger, I'm not familiar) that combined wifi with cell, one could put one phone on wifi with mobile hotspot, and leave the other in cell and possibly such a system could combine the two. I'll leave that answer to others.

What you are describing is what some call "connection boding."  A bonding approach that is even simpler than what you suggest would be to leave both phones on cellular and "somehow" to combine their connections into a single, faster one.  So if one phone was on Verizon and one on AT&T the resulting bonded connection would have a speed that is roughly the sum of those two.

Connection bonding is possible but it isn't inexpensive.  A WiFiRanger can spread your data usage across two or more connections but it can't bond them--the speed of the shared connections will be no greater than the speed of the faster of the two.

Bonding requires that there be a device that shares a data stream across multiple connections and, somehow,reconstructs it at the receiving end.  This can be done with a hardware device or, more commonly these days, it can be done by a cloud server.  The bottom line is that it's a lot more complicated (and expensive) than most RVers would want to get involved with, but it is done routinely in situations where communications connectivity is very important.

If you truly have an interest in connection bonding I can point you in that direction, but do bring your checkbook!  ;D

Joel (AKA docj)

Back
Top Bottom