Boon Docking areas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjpurkiss

My wife and I are picking up our camper trailer in Ohio and bringing it home to New Mexico as soon as the weather permits.  The camper will be outfitted for boon docking (solar power, larger propane tanks, larger water tanks, etc.).  We would like to boon dock on our way home with the trailer.

How do I find boon docking areas in places I have never been to?

Regards,
Matt

Try freecampsites.net  I like it, but depending on the size of your rig, you have to kind of watch some of the sites.  Never had a problem when we had a 29' rig, but since we upgraded to 37' we've found a couple of sites we couldn't fit into.

Not as many boondocking sites in the Midwest as their are in the West. There are a number of dry camping sites in National Forests, State Forests, and county/city parks though. Look at the site Wally recommended. AllStays Camp and RV (available only as an Apple app) is good too. You can filter on ?free?. You can use AllStays.com online, but it isn?t nearly as convenient as the app.

I have found Campendium our go-to source for finding boondocking sites.  As UTTransplant indicated, you won't find many boondockings sites in Ohio and Midwest in general, as opposed to the West where boondocking opportunities are a plenty.  In starting out from Ohio, as Old_Crow suggested Freecamsites.net is a good option as it focuses on good overnight options when you are just looking for a place to rest for the night.

Welcome to the forum! In addition to the websites mentioned, I also refer to the Benchmark and DeLorme Atlases. There are atlases for each of the western states. They show the locations of public lands to give an overall view of where dispersed camping may be available. They also show the main forest service/BLM roads that might not appear on a road map.

Since you are in New Mexico you might check out the Benchmark for your state. They are sold in some sporting goods stores as well as some hardware stores that have a hunting dept. Of course they can also be ordered online from Amazon etc. 

Back
Top Bottom