Choosing is hard !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see a problem, related to your specific example in your question.

In a truck stop or even in a Walmart parking lot, that would probably be just fine. Your example is at a "rest stop or something like that."

Rest stops, specifically, have an earned reputation for risk to personal security. They are more or less risky depending upon which state and where in that state you are. Arguably, they are safer, the further you are from larger cities. They are more risky at night than in the day time. They are more risky when few vehicles/people are present, safer when crowded. I have used them, mostly for brief stops. Almost never at night, and only then if there are quite a few others there.

I sleep quite comfortably at truck stops. I haven't yet, but would be quite comfortable at a Walmart - etc, depending upon its location.

If you are in a TT, you have to get out and move to the Tow Vehicle, in order to get moving, again. In a motorhome, turn the key and go. You don't have to get out, at all.

IMHO, motorhome wins, again.

Ray D  ;D

Ray D said:
If you are in a TT, you have to get out and move to the Tow Vehicle, in order to get moving, again. In a motorhome, turn the key and go. You don't have to get out, at all.

IMHO, motorhome wins, again.

Ray D  ;D

Kinda like haveing to go to the outhouse. ;D ;D ;D

You just mentioned some of the considerations we had when we chose to go with a motorhome.  At least with a MH if you feel uneasy about what is going on around where you are stoped you can just move to the drivers position and get going.

Just looking at the safety issues, the MotorHome is winning !  I'm still a little confused on the toad but am making that my next research project.  I think I'll go to a local campground this weekend and talk to some of the people there.  I'll look for people with a MH and a toad and see what kind of set up they have - I think that'll help if I can actually see how it's all put together.

Best of luck on your search.  Have you called Remco yet?  Some of the Suzuki/s and Jeeps 4WD make excellent toads plus can be fun at Moab or in Az too.

MollysMom, you said, "I think that'll help if I can actually see how it's all put together." I know you have in mind, more than just "seeing" it. That said, I happen to have a picture that shows pretty well, how it's all put together.

The setup in the attachment, below, is pretty typical. This one is a RoadMaster system. Blue Ox is equally good and has a similar appearance. There are other brands, as well.

Ray D  ;D

Attachments

• P1020209.JPG
    P1020209.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 32
It might be a good idea to try renting a motor home for a short time and finding out if you do like driving one and staying in one.

Calling REMCO is on my "to-do" list - I've found a couple of cars I like and am going to ask about them
Thanks for the picture Ray - that was great.  It really helps me to see things - I have a terrible time trying to imagine them.
I do wan to rent a MH for a few long weekend type trips - I'd like to narrow things down a bit so I can rent something similar to what I think I want (man that was a confusing sentence !)

Ever thought of a truck camper?  I haven't owned one, but am researching as my next possible toy purchase.  You can pop the camper off (30 minutes or less by yourself with the right gear) and drive the truck where you please.  With just you and a dog, you can go light - real light if you go for a wet bath model.

I haven't really looked at truck campers - I think they're a bit small for what I want.  I'm planning to live in it for a year at least and I think I want a bit more space.  It'd be fine on nice days, but if I get a string of bad weather it might be a bit small !!!  I haven't even looked at them though so maybe I'll at least see what they have to offer. Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom