Wireless security cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I'm considering some security cameras primarily for those times when I may be away from the rig for awhile when visiting elsewhere. There are so many on the market it's hard to know where to start.

Wish list:
  • Must be fully outdoor capable, i.e., sit in the rain
  • Motion activated
  • Video to cloud via wifi
  • Battery operated would be a bonus
  • Motion alert to phone
  • Ability to activate cameras via app
  • Reasonable cloud fees
Wifi would be via AT&T Mobley which generally gives me adequate bandwidth to stream, even though I am typically in very rural or remote areas.
For those with experience with this type of product I'd love to hear your feedback. This may nearly fall in to the security alarm/company territory so suggestions in that regard are also appreciated.

Sounds like you want Ring.  $3/mo for cloud.  I'm considering it for my home.  There are many variants, but this is battery operated.  Amazon has a bazillion options, Ring in general is known for decent products.

https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Ring-Stick-Up-Cam-Battery-HD-security-camera-with-two-way-talk-Works-with-Alexa-/dp/B07Q6ZZFLS/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=ring&qid=1575415304&sr=8-14

SpencerPJ said:
Sounds like you want Ring.  $3/mo for cloud.  I'm considering it for my home.  There are many variants, but this is battery operated.  Amazon has a bazillion options, Ring in general is known for decent products.

https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Ring-Stick-Up-Cam-Battery-HD-security-camera-with-two-wireway-talk-Works-with-Alexa-/dp/B07Q6ZZFLS/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=ring&qid=1575415304&sr=8-14

Thank you. On the phone with them right now. I considered Ring but thought of them more as a video doorbell company. The Stick Up looks very interesting

We have 5 Ring cameras at our home and are very pleased.

I'm not sure about the Mobley working for a video connection. I would be concerned that the bandwidth would not provide a connection.

SpencerPJ said:
Sounds like you want Ring. 

Once again, thanks. I spent nearly an hour on the phone with Ring and it's exactly what I was looking for. Very helpful customer service. Alarm system ordered: 2 exterior + 1 interior camera, 2 motion, sensors for 3 cargo + entrance door. Will probably start with self monitoring for $60/yr

Let us know how well the motion sensors work out.

I installed a  Swann six camera system on my house with IR lighting on each camera. Guess what....bugs, mosquitoes  loved the lights and triggered the motion detectors.

Do you know what likes to eat bugs and mosquitoes?  Spiders. Lot's of spider webs after a while.

So I'll be interested in hearing how you make out.

Arch Hoagland said:
Let us know how well the motion sensors work out.

Pretty sure 98% of the motion triggers will be armadillos, thick with them here

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Armadillos, they're gnawing on my tires"

"Stop calling us Scott"  ;)

Gizmo100 said:
I'm not sure about the Mobley working for a video connection. I would be concerned that the bandwidth would not provide a connection.

I am concerned, but have no options. Most of the time I'm able to stream on it, although poorly at times

Sounds great.  Keep us informed of your liking.  :))  (Maybe Santa will bring me a set-up if I'm good)

I purchased a Reolink wireless security camera and am trying it out at the stick house. I went with the Reolink because it comes with a solar panel to keep it charged, so it is truly wireless.  I am experimenting to see if it is adaptable to the RV. I like the idea of having a security cam to keep an eye on the outside of the rig without having to run any wires to keep it powered up. 

It does require a wifi signal if you want to monitor the cam from the smart phone app.  It also has an SD card that records motion and sends me a text when something trips it. If I adapt one to the RV, I already have on board Wifi, so that issue is covered.  The camera and solar panel come together in a kit. I just purchased a second cam on Amazon for $74 on sale. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBRV8W5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wyze.com

I put a camera both on the outside of the trailer and inside the trailer when winterized. The motion detection feature will notify me if any pesky mice start walking around inside or if the trailer is moved in the event that someone tries to steal it.

Here's something fun and free to play with. I kept my old IPhone as backup when I got a new one. Then a year ago I found this free app that turns them into a security camera/microphone. I didn't expect much from free software but it has been flawless over the past 18 months. It has woken us up every time the cat jumps on the counter or if it meows too loud. I can see the clip that caused the disturbance on my new phone so I don't have to get out of bed.

https://manything.com/

I've seen a number of times here where folks are recomm3ending Ring cameras/service. On some tech sites I've read some rather less comforting news, so perhaps many of you would like to check out this link to Slashdot where they express some serious privacy concerns. And there have been stories about police (and Ring itself) using these as surveillance tools on Ring customers, as well as anyone who comes into range of their cameras.

I don't have any of this stuff, Ring or not, but thought people should be aware.

Larry N. said:
I've seen a number of times here where folks are recomm3ending Ring cameras/service. On some tech sites I've read some rather less comforting news, so perhaps many of you would like to check out this link to Slashdot where they express some serious privacy concerns. And there have been stories about police (and Ring itself) using these as surveillance tools on Ring customers, as well as anyone who comes into range of their cameras.

I don't have any of this stuff, Ring or not, but thought people should be aware.

We have 5 ring cameras and if someone wishes to watch the outside of our house well have at it. Now 1 of the cameras is mounted in the shop and you might catch me doing nothing. ;D

It's all about common sense...
When we bought the house the cameras were included in the deal. One of the cameras was mounted in the kitchen/dinning area/living room. My wife didn't like having it recording so she would shut it off. I ended up moving it out to the shop.

As far as anyone using them as surveillance tools, They can do that with any computer, smart TV or Smart phone. If a person is a target of a investigation they will find a way to monitor the things you say and do.

The only thing they will get me on is telling really bad jokes to my wife. But she laughs so I guess we will both go to jail.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom