Fuel going to generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbob70

What is the general amount of fuel required to keep a generator running....
My generator quits working once my fuel level gets below a half a tank.....Is this normal ??

1988 Class A Itasca....454 Chevy engine...P30 frame

What make/model generator?

And, yes, the generator fuel intake is placed substantially above the bottom of the fuel tank, so that you still have fuel to drive somewhere... to refuel. 

I'd guess its the same generator as your 1988 Suncruiser.....I want to know at what point does the generator quit working....Is it when the fuel tank gets to 1/2 or 1/4.....

It depends on the care Winnebago took when they installed the generator pickup in the gas tank.  And the accuracy of your fuel gauge.  Chevy fuel gauges in particular tend to go well past the "full" mark when the tank is full, so it's possible 1/4 tank of fuel in the tank registers as more than that on the gauge.

As far as how much fuel the generator uses, figure on 1/2 to 1 gallon an hour, depending on how much load is on the generator.

My genny fuel pickup is about at the 1/4 full tank level, I ran it out when the coach was new  ::). I keep careful record of fuel level (via VMSpc) and I know my Onan QuietDiesel 7.5kw has an average fuel burn of about 1/3 gallon an hour. When we're going to run the generator for any length of time I note the gen hours when it's started and when I stop it. Then I subtract the fuel used from my VMSpc fuel log.

RVIA construction standards say that 1/4 tank should be the minimum, but that is just a rough estimate. The generator fuel pick-up tube is inserted in the tank at the level determined largely by the assembly line guy who installs it and the actual level can vary greatly.  Further, the gas gauge on the dash board is typically inaccurate, especially around the 1/2 tank level where many gauges have a discontinuity.

The net is that there are no guarantees and yours may well become fuel-starved when the gauge reads 1/2. The only way to know for sure is to add a gallon or two and see if the genset runs again.

Also try this....

Be nice and level. Let the genset shut down on lack of fuel. Log the fuel level indicator. Fill the tank up with fuel and log the amount of fuel used to fill the tank. Subtract the number of gallons used to fill the tank from the number of gallons the tank is designed to hold.

That will determine the accuracy of the fuel level indicator and give you an accurate assessment of tank level for generator shutdown.

Unless you have a very small tank, the generator shutting down at half a tank would seem rather unlikely and unreasonable but still possible.

Back
Top Bottom